First things, a few small corrections, thanks to the GB members Geardownplease & Trojan thunder for pointing these out.

Aft cockpit bulkheas & carco bay window. Aft bulkhead is flush, not recessed as ROG made it. Simple fis, just trim & move bulkhead aft. I added reinforcement strips where the crew bunks are. Note that primer is still fresh so it will be smoother and you really will ot see the detail in the crew rest area, a little overkill.

Cockpit-01.jpg

Cockpit-03.jpg

Corrected the main landing gear door that Geardownplease pointed out.

Just after cutting, black area removed from gear door and glued on the fuselage.

Progress-02.jpg

All cleaned up.

belly-01.jpg

Edited by drhornii

A little color added to the cargo bay really brings it to life. Want to add more but you will probably will not see 95% of the details but I know it is there......I should have sanded the bay floor smooth except for the recessed tie downs since the no slip pads to not match the raised areas.

Cargobay-01.jpg

Finished aft bulkhead with window. Also cut the load master seat base off & scratch built a new base and cut white styrene strips for bay overhead lighting..

cargobay-02.jpg

Edited by drhornii

Little more progress during the forums "black out"

Added the troop door blast deflector vent holes. Made a template and used it on both sides to be consistent.

Drilled holes (.025" dia)

Blastshield-03.jpg

Installed .025" dia rod slightly recessed leaving a shallow pocket.

Blastshield-04.jpg

Added landing/taxi lights & missing window midway on fuselage. Looks like they intended to add the landing light on one side but did not finish the hole and only on one side.

Addedlightsblastdoorcopy.jpg

So you are opening the para door? Are you scratching a new one or is what's left of the old one useable?

Nice little detail touches you are adding as well!

:bandhead2:

Opening just the RH troop door. I glued the outer door & inner door together and folded in the outer fairing. Not sure if it hinges in but I am sure it is not that thick on the base when it opens.

Great kit but a lot of little issues for the faithful rivet counters out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice progress David! I couldn't find any clear photos of the rear cockpit bulkhead, I was pretty sure something was wrong with it. After seeing your thread I'm going to go ahead and modify it.

Do the paratrooper doors keep their profile when they're opened? If not, where does all that extra "thickness" at the base go?

Chris

The whole model looks really good - I like the details you've been adding, awesome job! :woot.gif:

quick idea (you might've already thought of it), since you've gone through the trouble of cutting open the paratrooper door - you might want to add the non-slip surface thats in the bottom of the doorway. Might be able to accomplish it with a some small pieces of sandpaper. Hope it helps - just thought I'd mention it.

Really nice model! keep up the good work!

Nice progress David! I couldn't find any clear photos of the rear cockpit bulkhead, I was pretty sure something was wrong with it. After seeing your thread I'm going to go ahead and modify it.

Do the paratrooper doors keep their profile when they're opened? If not, where does all that extra "thickness" at the base go?

Chris

The Doors are raised vertically inside the cargo bay when opened, so if my memory serves me right, they do - I paid attention a little bit on the way out the door - though typically I was more focused on making sure I was jumping out far enough than wondering about the door profile :coolio:

Justin

Chris

IIRC the outer profile is hinged and folds in when opening so the door will be narrower when open. That is what that track on the fwd door wall is for.

I do plan on adding the no slip strips (black decal strips probably) and a small slime light in the door way.

As for the aft bulkhead, I found this in the Walkaround page I posted in the pinned topics "cargo holdl"

Edited by drhornii

Almost there, just small items left like the rest of the gear doors & ramp & crew door. Since I used a resin rudder (not sure of that was the issue or not) it became a tail sitter. I used a 1/4 oz nose weight (in fwd section of nose gear bay) and all is good. If that did not work, I would have had to use the ramp to push the nose down.

Troop door "no slip" & slime light in door opening added

troopdoor-07.jpg

Top.jpg

LHside.jpg

Nose-L.jpg

Nose-R.jpg

Edited by drhornii

Just a note, wish I did this on mine.....

Fill in all 4 FEDS hatch panel lines, use the decal which is a dotted line. Looks like the aircraft does not have a panel line, just the dotted line indicating the separation line.

FEDShatch.jpg

The real thing

FEDS-real.jpg

Yes the FEDS detail should be filled in there is no panel lines on the actual jet. FEDS is for a water landing the crew will initiate FEDS and a whole will be blown outward at these locations and a life raft will be ejected out of the holes. I have to replace the explosives on the real thing for this. So please anyone ever touring a C-17 don't pull any yellow handles.