Finally decided which aircraft I'll build for the GB (maybe I'll build some more when time allows me to do so :whistle: )

I will build a post-war KLM DC-3, ex C-47 with registration number PH-TCV. It will wear the famous 'The Flying Dutchman' title on the left side and 'De Vliegende Hollander' on the right side, which means exactly the same but one in English and one in Dutch.

ph-tcvinvlucht.jpg

This picture is an artwork by the well-know aviation artist Thijs Postma.

I will use Esci's 1:72 kit which already includes decals for this specific bird so that's nice.

This aircraft crashed the 21th of December 1947, which is a pretty bizarre story.

The captain on that flight was Robert Robinson and first officer was Fred Kroon. Both were Canadians.

It was flying on the scheduled flight Schiphol-Groningen-Leeuwarden. When they were approaching Leeuwarden the weather was very bad, too bad to land. The captain decided to return to Schiphol but they were already on final when this decision was made, so they were flying very low. But when they were climbing, suddenly the 78 metres high St. Bonifatiustower appeared right in front of them. The F/O who was flying the aircraft at that moment made a sharp turn and they avoided a big collision, but the wing did hit the tower. The wing broke off at 3 metres from the wingtip and the aircraft was descending rapidly. The pilots flew the aircraft right over the roofs of some houses and landed in an open field. The aircraft bounced through the field, losing its propellers. At last the aircraft stopped. It seemed total-loss but none of the ten passengers was injured.

nabotsingtorenlwrd271247.jpg

I will make a start with the interior this week, Esci provides about twenty seats for the interior.

I will let the flaps down and the ring of hatches around the engine to cool it will also be in opened position. I don't think taxiing DC-3's will have their flaps down as they are retracted immediately after landing but it brings the model to life. Let's say the pilot forgot to retract them :P

greets,

Jelle

Again, I must say that I am trully impressed inthe scope of aircraft and stories associated with them..

I thought this build would be just the usually everyday aircraft. But you guys have done a great job giving everything a go!

This is another build that I will be watching!

Cheers Dutchman

tcv1.jpg

First update. The interior is very simple: some grey on floor, walls and bulkheads and some blue on the passenger seats. I decided to keep the doors shut as there is not enough detail to show off with. But I painted some curtains behind the windows and you see the shapes of the seats through the windows so they're not useless.

• 3 months later...

Yes, this one is still alive!

I painted the DC-3 yesterday, using Humbrol no.11. I also applied most of the decals.

Haven't got a picture yet because I haven't got the camera here at the moment but I will show a photo as soon as I've got it!

greets,

Jelle

Wow! It is coming along very nice! Very nice detail on the engines by the way! I got to work a DC-3 a few years ago. It was Clay Lacy's United DC-3 that is. He did such a nice job restoring it. I however never had the opportunity to take a ride in that beauty. I climbed up on the wing, and put some needed fuel in her thirsty throat. When they fired up the engines, I swear I fought back a tear or two. If you ever get a chance to see that beautiful bird, be sure to enjoy every second of its beauty. It is a treat to the eyes!

Wow! It is coming along very nice! Very nice detail on the engines by the way! I got to work a DC-3 a few years ago. It was Clay Lacy's United DC-3 that is. He did such a nice job restoring it. I however never had the opportunity to take a ride in that beauty. I climbed up on the wing, and put some needed fuel in her thirsty throat. When they fired up the engines, I swear I fought back a tear or two. If you ever get a chance to see that beautiful bird, be sure to enjoy every second of its beauty. It is a treat to the eyes!

The Dutch Dakota Association still has to of these birds flying, one in a KLM/Air France hybrid scheme and one in a 'Martin's Air Charter' (now Martinair) scheme. They're beautiful and I've seen them both many times! I still want to take a flight on one of them.

• 2 weeks later...