Lockheed Martin F-16CJ Block 50 Fighting Falcon 22nd FS OIF

Hello people!!

I've nearly finished the pilot. To make the painting easier, I've improvised some masks to cover part of the figure:

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-248.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-989.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-1142.jpg

This is how it turned out:

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-1738.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-1684.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-343.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-293.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-1296.jpg

Now I'm going to retouch some parts and paint the details. Then leave it to dry for a day before starting the wash and dry brushing. As always any comments will be most welcome!!

Thanks for watching,

Gustavo.

Just finished the pilot and this is how it turned out. First I gave it an overall wash using Sepia oils:

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-437.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-2343.jpg

Then I made the shadows using pastel chalks followed by dry brushing using the pure base colors or some lighter shades:

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-1575.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-1167.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-1531.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-679.jpg

For the helmet visor I brushed on some Micro Satin finish.

Well, the fun part is over. Now I'll return to the plane and start building the undercarriage.

That's all for now and hope you liked the way the pilot turned out!!

Cheers,

Gustavo.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Federico, Giacomo and JMan!!

Thanks for the comments and support!! I've been having problems with my last Commanding Officer since he took command of my unit early last year and it culminated in me being temporarily posted to the Brigade Headquarters since the end of July. I'll probably return to my unit after December, when this guy leaves for another assignment.

This new assignment brought some challenges, since I'm in a slot that I've never been before and had never imagined myself doing. Because of this, I've been arriving home late and tired nearly every day and this has taken its toll in my model building.

Nevertheless, be it coincidence or not, I've restarted building my F-16 this weekend, before reading your messages!! Hope to have some new pictures coming this week.

Thanks again, guys, and please forgive me for not placing any new pictures here lately, OK?

Cheers,

Gustavo.

• 3 weeks later...

Gustav! you are an amazing artist. I love your work on the F-16. Please continue to post pictures. The way you did the weathering was explained in steps neatly but please tell us more details on how you got to make the weathering look the way it does. When you are done I would like to order a plane like yours but in titanium not plastic.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello people!!

I've been away from here for nearly a month and a half and now it's time for some updates. I've already finished the vertical stabilizer and it's shown here being test-fitted to the fuselage:

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-1287.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-1902.jpg

I've also started detailing the nose gear well and now it's nearly finished, but more on this later:

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-413.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-270.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-1599.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-282.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-848.jpg

That's all for now. I'll later upload pictures showing how the well is looking now.

Cheers,

Gustavo.

Thanks Aigore and Frank for you comments!!

Aigore, detailing the wells really is fun, but I confess that it's not something that I'll do all the time!!

And Frank, good to know that all this will help your build. Good luck with your Viper and please post your pictures here at the forums too!!

Cheers,

Gustavo.

OK, so this is what I've been up to in the last month or so:

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-736.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-722.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-2356.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-1859.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-1128.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-1919.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-1695.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-1963.jpg

GustavoRochaF-16CJBlock50Viper22-1665.jpg

To do all this stuff, so far I used more than 35 different pieces of wire in two different sizes and tried to follow the correct placement of the hydraulic lines based on pictures of the real thing.

I decided to post these pictures here before continuing because some of these details won't be seen after it's finished. That's about it!! It's raining heavily here in Rio de Janeiro and it couldn't be better to stay at home and do some building!! I'll finish this well over the weekend.

Thanks for seeing,

Gustavo.

OK, so this is what I've been up to in the last month or so:

To do all this stuff, so far I used more than 35 different pieces of wire in two different sizes and tried to follow the correct placement of the hydraulic lines based on pictures of the real thing.

Gustavo,

I'm just curious as to where you got your wire for plumbing the gear bays. I'm having a hard time sourcing

wire for any of my builds. I've looked at fly-tying wire, but man, that stuff's expensive, and I'm currently out

of work, so I have to use what I can find cheap.

Thanks for any help...

Raining a lot here on the west coast of the US,,,first big storm of the season; leftovers from Hurricane Melrot

(or whatever...can't exactly remember). No painting today (humidity at 100%) so I'll do some cleaning up of

my (mostly) resin Grumman Goose from Signifer. GREAT job so far on the nose gear on your Viper. I look

forward to seeing it painted and weathered.

Jim

Gustavo,

I'm just curious as to where you got your wire for plumbing the gear bays. I'm having a hard time sourcing

wire for any of my builds. I've looked at fly-tying wire, but man, that stuff's expensive, and I'm currently out

of work, so I have to use what I can find cheap.

Thanks for any help...

Raining a lot here on the west coast of the US,,,first big storm of the season; leftovers from Hurricane Melrot

(or whatever...can't exactly remember). No painting today (humidity at 100%) so I'll do some cleaning up of

my (mostly) resin Grumman Goose from Signifer. GREAT job so far on the nose gear on your Viper. I look

forward to seeing it painted and weathered.

Jim

Not sure what he used.

You can try phone/fax wire and strip the jacket off. I just checked some I had and it was .022 in and .55 mm.

That should be about 1 scale inch in 48th scale "Left". Depending on the gage of wire. You can get braided wire, to get pretty darn thin wire. "Right" .008 in and .22mm thats 3/8th of an inch in 1/48th scale if I recall right.

wire.jpg