F-16 Questions

Question #1

What color is the cockpit in the F-16? I have read several online builds and they all used Dark Gull Grey, but the instructions on the F-16 kits I have say Light Ghost Grey, does the color change in different blocks of aircraft?

Question #2

I went on a search to my local hobby stores looking for a Tamiya F-16CJ Block 50, F-16C Block 25/32 or the new F-16C/N. The only kit they have is the F-16C "Thunderbirds". Now that kit states block 32/52 so my question is can I build these blocks out of this kit? Will the instructions in the box only reference the Thunderbird? I assume the only decals included are for the Thunderbirds?

Question #1

What color is the cockpit in the F-16? I have read several online builds and they all used Dark Gull Grey, but the instructions on the F-16 kits I have say Light Ghost Grey, does the color change in different blocks of aircraft?

Question #2

I went on a search to my local hobby stores looking for a Tamiya F-16CJ Block 50, F-16C Block 25/32 or the new F-16C/N. The only kit they have is the F-16C "Thunderbirds". Now that kit states block 32/52 so my question is can I build these blocks out of this kit? Will the instructions in the box only reference the Thunderbird? I assume the only decals included are for the Thunderbirds?

I wouldn't trust the painting directions from most kits. Go with the Dark Gull Gray. Some cockpits are faded over time so a lighter gray would not be so bad either. I often use Gull Gray for my cockpits. As for which Tamiya kit to use, it depends on which block you are trying to build. there is an F-16 guide on hyperscale that covers all the versions and which kits builds which.

Edited by graves_09

From a previous thread.

Regarding F-16 cockpit "gray" this has been discussed here many times and here is a synopsis of what we have learned.

"The F-16 cockpits are still being painted FS 36231 (confirmed just a few months ago by laying the BIG 3" x 5" FS chip on a cockpit going down the line). However, once they get out in the field, the USAF uses 36270 for touch up and full re-paints. (Confirmed by talking to USAF Corrosion Control and USAF Crew Chiefs.) The customer has not asked LM Aero to change the color just as they have not asked to change to the two-color camo scheme, even though it's been in use for years in the field, so any new F-16 for the USAF still goes out the door in the original three-color scheme and a 36231 cockpit. So a "fresh" F-16 will still have a 36231 cockpit, but one that has been in service for a little while will have gone over to 36270. And if you compare the two colors they are not that far apart." (Only the time frame when I did this has changed from the above)

As for LM only painting the cockpit one color, sorry we are not Henry Ford, we paint them what ever the customer wants, but it has come down to 36231 or black when they leave the factory.

Regards

Jim Barr

Hope that helps mate.

Dennis

I want to build the Block 52 aircraft, so I assume if I buy the Tamiya F-16C "Thunderbirds" Block 32/52 I have everything I require in the box to build a Block 52 (I realize I wil have to purchase aftermarket decals) correct?

One thing to remember also if using a Tamiya painting guide, they reference only Tamiya paints - or mixtures thereof. If they do not have a Dark Gull Gray they may call for the next closest in thier line which may be the Light Ghost Gray.

A hint to ALL manufacturers use common names or FS (or RLM, RAL, BS, whatever) numbers and then suggest appropriate colors by the manufacturer.

Matt

I want to build the Block 52 aircraft, so I assume if I buy the Tamiya F-16C "Thunderbirds" Block 32/52 I have everything I require in the box to build a Block 52 (I realize I wil have to purchase aftermarket decals) correct?

Yes, it's all in there.

The air to air missiles as well, but no stencil decals for them.

I should of been more clear in my original post. I was asking F-16 questions and the first one question regarding cockpit color had nothing to do with the Tamiya kit. I just purchased the Kinetic F-16DG/DJ kit and the instructions for the cockpit color was Gunze H308 Light Ghost Grey.

Well then I am happy, I have been searching around for a Tamiya F-16 and everyone is out of stock and only had the Thunderbird kit. I thought you could only build the Thunderbird out of that kit, I am far from and F-16 expert, so I am learning about the different blocks and I am happy I can buy that kit and build a block 32 or 52 aircraft. Not happy I have to buy decals though.

I should of been more clear in my original post. I was asking F-16 questions and the first one question regarding cockpit I am happy I can buy that kit and build a block 32 or 52 aircraft. Not happy I have to buy decals though.

Decals and PE parts for the reinforced plates in the case you choose the block 42.

I should of been more clear in my original post. I was asking F-16 questions and the first one question regarding cockpit color had nothing to do with the Tamiya kit. I just purchased the Kinetic F-16DG/DJ kit and the instructions for the cockpit color was Gunze H308 Light Ghost Grey.

Well then I am happy, I have been searching around for a Tamiya F-16 and everyone is out of stock and only had the Thunderbird kit. I thought you could only build the Thunderbird out of that kit, I am far from and F-16 expert, so I am learning about the different blocks and I am happy I can buy that kit and build a block 32 or 52 aircraft. Not happy I have to buy decals though.

Mesher

What block and scheme do you want to do it in. I may have some spare F-16 decals for a scheme you want. I have a few F-16 decals (well lots actually). If you want to do a South Carolina ANG BLK 52 acft I would be able to help and I would have any of the schemes that come in the blk 25/32 or blk 50 boxing except for the cockpit data stencilling decals, to give you as I have two or three of each kit.

Cheers

Phil Hastie

Canberra, Australia

Tamiya 1/48 F-16CJ kit instructions advise to use the clear canopy for the rear and the smoke canopy for the front main canopy, is this correct? Also the black trim around the canopies...how is this masked as the front is black lined with fuselage color on main outline and the rear canopy is black lined...would you use semi gloss black to paint this?

Regarding F-16 cockpit "gray" this has been discussed here many times and here is a synopsis of what we have learned.

"The F-16 cockpits are still being painted FS 36231 (confirmed just a few months ago by laying the BIG 3" x 5" FS chip on a cockpit going down the line). However, once they get out in the field, the USAF uses 36270 for touch up and full re-paints. (Confirmed by talking to USAF Corrosion Control and USAF Crew Chiefs.) The customer has not asked LM Aero to change the color just as they have not asked to change to the two-color camo scheme, even though it's been in use for years in the field, so any new F-16 for the USAF still goes out the door in the original three-color scheme and a 36231 cockpit. So a "fresh" F-16 will still have a 36231 cockpit, but one that has been in service for a little while will have gone over to 36270. And if you compare the two colors they are not that far apart." (Only the time frame when I did this has changed from the above)

As for LM only painting the cockpit one color, sorry we are not Henry Ford, we paint them what ever the customer wants, but it has come down to 36231 or black when they leave the factory.

Regards

Jim Barr

Just a bit of clarification, the above was posted several years ago and was direct at a discussion about USAF F-16 cockpits on weather they were painted 36231, 36270, or some other shade of gray . It still holds true for USAF cockpits but then it has been several years since any new USAF F-16s came off the line. I do believe some other countries have black or mostly black for their cockpits but you have to be careful on what time frame / Block you are modeling.

Regards

Jim Barr

Just a bit of clarification, the above was posted several years ago and was direct at a discussion about USAF F-16 cockpits on weather they were painted 36231, 36270, or some other shade of gray . It still holds true for USAF cockpits but then it has been several years since any new USAF F-16s came off the line. I do believe some other countries have black or mostly black for their cockpits but you have to be careful on what time frame / Block you are modeling.

Regards

Jim Barr

I was looking at my Isradecal book on the Barak and in it they mention that in Block 40 Baraks the cockpits are black to assist with night vision and the use of goggles. I remember the same thing being 'said' when the first 'night Falcons' were around that the black color was used on NVG capable airframes. Not sure if all Block 40's and later are so or not so maybe poke over to Zone Five and ask there - just don't mention who told you about thier new clubhouse :jaw-dropping:

Matt

I thought the Block 50 had the IIF antenna. The reason I ask is in the Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ kit the part is there but the instructions state it is not used on the kit. Was this a CCIP update later on on the Block 50 after Tamiya made the kit? But then why was the part included in the kit?

But then why was the part included in the kit?

There's a very good chance it relates to the markings that are provided in the kit: the planes they depict on the decal sheet may not have had the CCIP update yet. You'll probably want to look at photos of the plane you plan to build to see if the "bird slicers" are required or not.