Hi All

Having taken part in 2 Phantom group builds, it's time to do something different. Our Special Interest Group (USAF SIG IPMS UK) is planning to do a special display to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of Edwards, so I purchased a 1/72nd scale Anigrand C-141A at Telford last November with the plan to build the prototype C-141A for the display, which spent it's life at Edwards. On researching the aircraft I discovered it had received a nose modification, so I then decided this was the way to go (see photo on link below.

http://www.rob.clubkawasaki.com/jas4783.jpg

I sort of stumbled across this GB a bit late, so the project is already started.

I'll post some WIP pics this weekend.

Ted

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

This is a quick refresher to show highlights of where I am up to now with this build.

I've been meaning to do this for a while, but never seem to get around to it, so thanks Aggressor Supporter for giving me a needed boot up the derrierre.

c141_14.jpg

The shot above shows the APU exhaust that needs to be inserted which was made from a piece of sprue that was bent and carved to shape. I'm hoping it'll look better when painted. Anigrand included a CD with some of their kits which has some excellent walk round shots.

c141_27.jpg

The next shot shows the rework I'm doing for the attachment points for the gear doors. Anigrand have got it all wrong, but is easily fixed.

c141_32.jpg

This is the painting on the inside of the cockpit windows. The rear windows appear to have a goldish/yellow sheen, while the forward windows appear bluish. After several attempts, this is where I got to, and I'm reasonably happy with it. Also the Radar nose is shown here, it is a F-15 nose as it appears about right. There is a weather radar pod to be added as well, but that will be done towards the end of the build.

c141_38.jpg

The next 2 shots show the cockpit mods that have been done. The cockpit coaming was made of Milliput, and I added some extra wiring looms. They are a bit crude, but won't be that visible when completed, so I decided to keep it as is. The placards are basically Eduard Phantom parts (I've always got to have a bit of a Phantom somewhere).

c141_39.jpg

c141_41.jpg

The next 2 shots show the start of the undercarriage sponsons. I tried to thin down the doors that Anigrand provided, but messed it up, so I built replacements from plastic card. The ends of the doors are fabricated from plastic card, and will form the attachment points for the door retraction jacks, more of which later.

There is still some landing lights to be added, but again that will be done later.

c141_43.jpg

c141_50.jpg

This shot shows how I plan the attachment of the doors and actuators to be. The actuators will be a bit better than that, the sprue is to give some idea of how it will look.

I had run out of the number of pictures on the last post, so these are where I'm up to currently.

The difficulty I'm having at the moment is how to attach the main gear as Anigrand have a very simple and wrong way of doing it.

First I cut off the attachment lug they put in, (a brave thing to do, as now there is no way to attach the gear leg).

The idea I came up with is pretty close to Lockheeds way of doing it.

First, the upper scissors link was removed and bent upwards slightly, and an extension made to the top of the leg, complete with an attachment point. The first shot shows the difference between the 2 legs.

c141_53.jpg

The next shot gives an idea of how it will look inside the sponson, I've used dressmaker pins to attach the leg to the sponson wall, and it seems reasonably sturdy. The link from the hub to the top of the sponson at this stage is free to rotate for alignment, and will be pinned through the top of the sponson, the attachment point will then be boxed in, as per the real aircraft. I have also added another attachment which will be adjusted to get the leg straight. I'm hoping there will be enough adjustment all around to get the leg straight so the 10 wheels all touch the ground at the same time.

c141_52.jpg

c141_54.jpg

c141_55.jpg

Thats as far as I've got up to now.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Ted

Time for another update.

It may not look like I've acomplished much, but time hasn't been on my side,

The modifications to the landing gear continues. I have started adding the hydraulic system. First I bent some pieces of brass to form a basic manifold.

This has a large hydraulic pipe entering at the top, and then two pipes going to the wheelbrakes. There is still a bit more to do yet, I want to improve the axles (for function, not for seeing, as they won't be visible)

c141_57.jpg

Another major problem is with the wheels. Looking at the photo below, top left shows the wheel as Anigrand have produced it. Unfortunately, it isn't really like it should be. What I did (after a few attempts which didn't work) was to raid the trusty Hasegawa Phantom kit again.

First, I removed the inner section of the wheel, effectively just leaving the tyre. I then got the thin wheels from the Hasegawa Phantom kit, removed the tyre from it, added a piece of sprue to form an extended wheel nut which is quite noticeable on the real thing. I need to scribe some tyre tread, then once painted it should look OK.

c141_58.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Ted

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Al

I haven't been doing much lately due to work commitments, and I'm about to go away for 3 weeks, so there will be another gap to this build.

The first two shots show a slight accident. The wing shown here got accidentally trod on and broke into more than one piece. The upper shot shows the pieces reglued with some superglue.

The second shot shows how it looks after rubbing down.

After that I prised the wing halves apart and reglued them to remove a slight upward tilt of the wing.

c141_59.jpg

c141_60.jpg

The next 2 shots show the tread I added to the wheel on the left. The wheel was rotated using a power tool. I noticed the wheel wasn't round, so I sanded it down until it was. a better shape, then scribed the tread using a bare metal foil scriber.

I have painted the tread light grey so it can be seen better.

c141_61.jpg

c141_62.jpg

The last 2 shots show some rework to the axles. I wasn't happy with the Anigrand ones, so I cut them off, drilled holes and inserted some metal tube as replacements. They will be cut to size later just before the wheels are added.

c141_63.jpg

Thats all for now. As usual, comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Ted

c141_64.jpg

Edited by Rhino53
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Finally managed to get back on dry land and get on with some work at last. I shan't go on about the time on the ocean waves, but it feels strange sleeping on a bed that is stationary.

Onto a quick update.

This first shot is a couple of additions needed to the leading edge of the wings. Basically there is some sort of intake and an exhaust port near the fuselage. Also, I've added a small strake as well.

c141_65.jpg

The next shot shows the intake additions that are missing. Basically in front of the compressor are 24 guide vanes which Anigrand didn't add to their moulding. There is two ways to correct this. I've added the vanes, but an alternative would be bags that the USAF use to cover the engines.

c141_66.jpg

The last shot shows the exhaust. It's not finished yet, but gives you some idea of whats round the back.

c141_67.jpg

It may not seem like I've done little, but cutting out 96 vanes does take a while. Is nothing easy in this hobby?

Comments and suggestions are welcome as always, especially with painting the exhaust, something I never seem to do well.

Ted

• 3 weeks later...

A little update on progress so far.

I thought it would be easier to paint the fuselage before the wings were fitted, so here are some shots of the partially painted fuselage. First, I put the stripe on, followed by the white top. The next stage will be the grey undersides and tailplane. I should be able to complete this over the weekend.

c141_68.jpg

c141_69.jpg

c141_71.jpg

The next shot shows the coloured windscreens which I had been working on before. Unfortunately, the photo doesn't show it too well.

c141_70.jpg

The last shot is of the painted APU exhaust pipe which I had made earlier. I think it looks better painted, and reasonably close to the picture I have seen of this item. Just some wiring to add in the area next.

c141_72.jpg

Comments and suggestions are welcome as usual.

Ted Baytliss

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I have been working on the engine pods so the wings can be attached. I have added vanes on the engine faces, as previously described. Obviously, this was time consuming.

Next, the engine pods were attached to the wings, and the whole assembly attached to the fuselage. The paint was touched up.

The undercarriage pods are next, once the work on the undercarriage legs are completed.

c141_73.jpg

c141_74.jpg

c141_75.jpg

c141_76.jpg

c141_77.jpg

thanks for looking and commenting.

Ted

Edited by Rhino53

Hi All

I have now attached the undercarriage leg in the port sponson, so thought I would do a quick update.

I found some wire which would be perfect for the hydraulic lines coming in for the brakes.

The second shot shows the sponson attached (dry fitted).

c141_78.jpg

c141_79.jpg

The wheel underneath is a master I've made so I can try resin casting for the first time. It should be easier than modifying 8 wheels if it works.

c141_80.jpg

c141_81.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Ted

Looking good and keep it up.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Time for another quick update.

The first couple of shots show the pod under the nose.I believe this is the weather radar that was moved into the pod. If anyone knows for sure I would be interested to hear from them.

c141_82.jpg

c141_87.jpg

The next couple of shots show the progress with the overall model, and I have also started on the wing walkway markings.

c141_83.jpg

c141_84.jpg

The last couple of shots show the sponsons now they have been attached.

c141_85.jpg

c141_86.jpg

I am currently struggling with the mainwheels, as I am learning how to cast resin, but the mould is not so easy to produce. Currently, I'm on my third attempt.

Thats all for now, thanks for looking in, and keep the comments and suggestions up please.

Ted

Hi All

Time for another update.

I have now finished the construction, and will be doing the decalling this weekend.

The reconstruction of the main legs looks a lot better than the orriginal Anigrand version. The casting of the wheels (my first) went quite well, and once painted, look OK.

The nose gear doors has also been modified. The Anigrand version calls for the doors to be split and put either side of the well, but it should be done as per the C-130, so I took some parts from an old Herc kit and did it that way.

The pitot tube on the nose is a replacement, but only because I lost the original. It is simply a stretched sprue stub suitably shaped.

It's looking good for finishing this weekend,

c141_88.jpg

c141_89.jpg

c141_90.jpg

c141_91.jpg

c141_92.jpg

c141_93.jpg

c141_94.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Ted

Looks good Ted, can't wait to see this one finished!

:jaw-dropping:

Thanks very much for the kind comments, the build is now complete and on the flight line topic.

Many thanks to all for looking in.

Ted

That's a nice build,Ted! :touche:

What was it in the gear legs that you didn't like and had to redo?

Isaac

Basically, the upper extension of the legs weren't long enough, as on photo's I've seen the top of the leg actually protrudes through the sponson, and as kitted, they were too short.

Thanks for the nice comments.