I'll be starting my first Spitfire with an ICM Mk.VIII. It will be done up as the Fargo Express flown out of Italy in 1943-1944. This aircraft was turned over to the Air Corp from British stocks and will be painted as such. The kit decals look a little primitive, so I've got some Areo Master decals for the same aircraft. Should be a fun build, athough the ICM kit will require some sinkholes filled, and flash clean up.

The obligatory pre-build shot....

sf1.jpg

Fargo Express - Good choice. You can't go wrong with Aero Master decals. I have heard that the ICM kit is a bit of a hand full but I have never made it myself. Looking forward to seeing this build. :jaw-dropping:

• 1 month later...

Some progress. Got the 'pit together, and made a harness out of lead foil. Everything fits snuggly togther. To my surprise, I have no gap at the wing roots. The wing tips proved to be thinner than the rest of the wings, and in hindsight, I would thin the mating surfaces of the wing halves, to match them with the tips. As is, I sanded, and will rescribe a bit. Seams don't appear as I will need filler. I think I'm getting lucky here....

A lousy picture.

sf2.jpg

Ran into a small snag. My nose was a bit out of joint, pointing off to the left side of the aircraft. If I had caught this prior to gluing it up, I could have warped it in the opposite direction. But alas, I didn't. So, i glued a couple of lengths of brass rod, one straight through the spinner, which will support the prop, and a diagonal to straighten the nose to the right a bit. Looks OK to the Mk. 1 eyeball. I will figure something out to mount the exhaust stubs, as there will be no chance of getting the engine (or any part of it) in. Seems to me, every ICM kit is a little bit different.... But, we like challanges, don't we?

SF3.jpg

Edited by I-16

I should have pointed out in my build, when I glued the motor to the cowl you should shim the rear part of the motor so the shaft will not point to the ground. It is important so the spinner fits to the nose correctly. I hope I wasn't too late with this info! If I was I hope you caught that.

Dave Shaw

• 3 weeks later...

Began painting, first with the Azure Blue, followed by the Mid Stone. I lightened all of the colors with light grey, as this praticular aircraft was somewhat faded. I msaked her off, and sprayed the dark earth. Came out pretty well. The next step will be to spray out the roundels (which aren't really there) wax and put on the stars and bars.

SF4.jpg

SF5.jpg

RAF markings painted out with a shade of mid-stone, and then a coat of future. I'll let her cure for a couple of days, and apply the USAAF markings.

SF6.jpg

Almost there. The Areomaster Decals went on flawlessly. I used Micro Sol and micro Set, which snuggled them down nicely. I'll wash it with something dirty, and do a little chipping and make it flat. I'll admit that I have never been a Spitfire fan, until I started this build and doing some research on them, I didn't realize there were so many marks built. I really like the Griffon powered Mk XIV, it looks mean.

sf8.jpg

SF7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

DONE! My first spit, and I enjoyed the heck out of it. I want to try a Seafire next. I was pretty pleased with the results, the ICM kit is ok, once you get passed some of the (minor) fit issues. It was alot easier than a vacuform! I applied the decals over future, and then added another coat to seal them. Used a wash of black and rust, which made a red brown color to highlight the panel lines, then applied a flat coat of Testors, which dulled her out well, and weathered with pastels. From what I have read, these aircraft were well faded. I noticed the stencils silvered, which is an issue I've been fighting on my last couple kits. I apply Micro Set and Sol, per directions, over future, clean the adhesive off, and re-wax, still seem to silver a little.... The larger decals went on very well. Better pics later.

CH

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

Very nice indeed. The kit can be troublesome - I've build it in the past. (my build ) But they always come up looking great, especially in MTO colours. Great work!!

Edited by Maxidad