B-1R Cavalier missile truck done!

building is better than dreaming. this is the panda 1/144 kit. i saw history channel's dogfights and one episode, dogfight of the future, featured the b-1r fighting in tandem with the f-22. using it as a missile truck to ripple fire. i was blown away by the awesomeness..

b1r3.jpg

i dealt with the wing sweep mechanism easily, then proceeded to gluing the fuselage halfs and the nose cone and tail sections. some putty is needed to fill up the small seam lines.

b1rp24.jpg

b1rp26.jpg

b1rp27.jpg

and the engine pods was next

b1rp22.jpg

b1rp25.jpg

and of course. the important missiles. these are from the dragon 1/144 tomcats, which i have accumalated many over the years. i trimmed the forward fins so they look like Aim-120s. scratchbuild the pylons from 2 pieces of f-18E/F twin ejector rack from the dragon kit and placard.

b1r2.jpg

b1r.jpg

b1rp23.jpg

and lastly, i may build the russian equivalent.. how about a backfire missile truck? hmmm...

b1rp2.jpg

Edited by Tomcat RIO
  • 2 weeks later...

i decided to paint the b-1r in the metallic gry scheme of the f-22. this was done by adding steel colour to light grey and medium grey. it darkens the colour a bit.

b1rp36.jpg

b1rp34.jpg

b1rp35.jpg

b1rp33.jpg

i have mounted the engines from the kit. dunno what they are, but i'll call them unstealthy pw f119s anyway. ha.

b1rp32.jpg

This is great! I hope do to the same project in 1/72(My BoneR will be bigger than yours). Watched the B-1 Flyby in Yuma this past weekend and they are stunning. The F-22 style paint is brilliant, How much Steel did you put in each color?.

thanks guys for the comments and encouragement so far. i hope to do decals this weekend. the kit provides the SAC black lo viz decals, which would look odd on the grey scheme, so i am digging out my dragon 144 f-18F spares.. some of the missiles fell off their racks. and i am thinking of adding a 5th and 6th pylon for 3 aim9xs each..

@reply to taiidan tomcat - i am not sure of the exact %, but roughly 10-20%? the shimmery specks didn't come out too bright, so i guess for the f-22's scheme, u might want to add more. i was using gunze aqueos steel h-18. the metallic powder affects the finish i guess, because the silver powder content of say, steel, and gun metal and silver is different and moreover different paint brands have differnet mixes. eg gunze lacquers vs model master. so i would experiment first, but 1:4 steel to grey is a good start. and do note that steel contains elements of black that will darken the mixture, so adjust the grey accordingly. hope that helps.

Maybe I remember incorrectly, but I thought the "dog fights" show had the B-1R with a "V" tail configuration....maybe I am thinking of the movie Iron Man and the 737.....

Anyway, a "V" tail could be a challenge

@reply to taiidan tomcat - i am not sure of the exact %, but roughly 10-20%? the shimmery specks didn't come out too bright, so i guess for the f-22's scheme, u might want to add more. i was using gunze aqueos steel h-18. the metallic powder affects the finish i guess, because the silver powder content of say, steel, and gun metal and silver is different and moreover different paint brands have differnet mixes. eg gunze lacquers vs model master. so i would experiment first, but 1:4 steel to grey is a good start. and do note that steel contains elements of black that will darken the mixture, so adjust the grey accordingly. hope that helps.

:wub: Thanks man! Good call on the lo-vis markings too

Maybe I remember incorrectly, but I thought the "dog fights" show had the B-1R with a "V" tail configuration....maybe I am thinking of the movie Iron Man and the 737.....

Anyway, a "V" tail could be a challenge

No, you're right. I saw it just the other night and the B-1R had a V-tail.

No, you're right. I saw it just the other night and the B-1R had a V-tail.

Ok, with that now the case, we need a resin MFG (Hey Two Mikes) to make the conversion.....1/144 should be just fine for now.

Very cool build! :monkeydance: How many more missiles in those bays? :woo:

"I wish I had 8 AMRAAMs like the Eagle

I'd be having so much fun it'd be illegal

Like a guy who ain't been laid for months

I'd shoot those f**kers all at once

I wish I had 8 AMRAAMs like the Eagle"

:lol:

Edited by ChernayaAkula