Academy 1/72 F-14A converted to F-14D Tomcat Grim Reaper

I m currently working on an old academy 1/72 F-14A kit. Just ordered decal from LM, for a Grim Reaper scheme. Need to know what i need to add to make my A into at least a B or a D

Change the engines shrouds and exhausts.

Change the seats if you're doing a Delta.

Depending on the chin pod included in the Academy boxing, you might need to change it.

Change the ECM blisters depending if you're doing a Delta and/or on the configuration offered in the Academy boxing.

There are others changes that slip out of my mind currently but that'd be a good start.

hmmm if im not wrong, the kit provides 3 different chin pods

Yes you are right there are 3 chin pods provided. All different. but the problem is there only provide 2 type of cans for the engine. No GE cans

Edited by Eri
Definitely gonna be a A model. The engines shrouds are shorter on the A model than on the B/D ones.

Oh well...i m stuck with the TB decals now..those cans, i cant find replacements for them. Got some feathered ones from F-15 kits but i need something from the F-16 kit.

How am i gonna make it i can fabricate all the antennaes and stuff but i cant fabricate the cans

Dr Peppers do some GE cans, but only the exhausts. The shrouds (meaning the part actually between the fuselage and the exhausts) are not done in aftermarket as far as I know.

I guess one could live with it and stick some GE cans on the TF-30 shrouds. Only F-14 anal picking guys (like me :)) would notice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

th_DSC00291.jpg

th_DSC00292.jpg

My current progress. Rather slow, the AIM-54 have like 6 different decals. and its all in 1/72...argh! And the worse thing is that i reversed the painting of the missiles. Instead of white nose cone and grey body, i painted white body and grey nosecones!

Edited by Eri

HI, nice progress there..

the vf101 (164) decal that u acquired from LM, which decal company that prints them? i couln't seem to find that scheme u are doing in 1/72 though (i've checked vfa production, twobobs and fighthertown).

HI, nice progress there..

the vf101 (164) decal that u acquired from LM, which decal company that prints them? i couln't seem to find that scheme u are doing in 1/72 though (i've checked vfa production, twobobs and fighthertown).

Try this one

Lucky MOdel

After this Tomcat completes, its will mark the last model from Academy that i will build in this lifetime. I will only build Academy 1/72 if they choose to reproduce all their 72nd kits with the same standards as the F-16CG/CJ or F/A-18C.

Both the 1/72 F-15E and 1/72 F-14A are crap.

• 2 weeks later...
After this Tomcat completes, its will mark the last model from Academy that i will build in this lifetime. I will only build Academy 1/72 if they choose to reproduce all their 72nd kits with the same standards as the F-16CG/CJ or F/A-18C.

Both the 1/72 F-15E and 1/72 F-14A are crap.

bro.. waiting for another 1/72 f-14 from u soon since the decals can build u more than 1 aircraft :)

hopefully it will be hasegawa :D

just ordered mine :rolleyes: