Here is the box shot. Lots of munitions spare after this one! Nice simple single colour scheme with some contrasting decals for a, hopefully, pretty model at the end.

pic_1.jpg

cheers

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

Got the tiny little cockpit tub done. I know there is not much space up front in a Harrier, but this looks a bit thin! Therefore, not gone to town on it, just some detail on the bits of the seat that show.

pic_2.jpg

pic_3.jpg

The kit instruction call for exhausts and tailplane to be added as the fuselage halves are stuck together. I reckon that will just make masking and painting more difficult than it should be. So those bits will get painted and stuck on later.

Some sort of hover dio was planed for this, so I was thinking about cutting out and drooping the flaps. Then Paulo posted this little tutorial :wave:

I fully expect to be cursing him in the coming weeks!

cheers

Grant

• 2 weeks later...
Neat pilot. Don't see many molded with the visor and mask off.

That'll be 'old school' Airfix. Possibly he should be in an orange flight suit?

Too late now though, 'cos fuselage is together, with less than positively located u/c bays in place.

pic_4.jpg

and I have made a start on the flaps...

pic_5.jpg

cheers

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

And now the STBD flaps are done - and working!

Many thanks to Paulo for his excellent tutorial. I had to make some slight changes due to the different molding, and scale, but it was surprisingly simple (once I knew how) and looks really effective.

pic_7.jpg

pic_8.jpg

pic_9.jpg

pic_10.jpg

pic_11.jpg

Clearly the brass pin will be replaced, but this is just for checking it all works.

cheers

Grant

Edited by Grant

You can do this in 1:72?! You have inspired me.

I have a Hasegawa 1:72 GR3 which I want to do in a diorama akin to a print in my ADMINOs office of a GR3 landing in a forest. Very '80s with the Cold War feel of these aircraft being used as they were designed to be used in a conventional european conflict between the Soviets and NATO.

Outstanding! Can't wait for the updates.

Bonehammer and Unang - go on, give it a go, you know you want too!!

Paulo's tutorial was so good. He had figured it all out, all I did was follow the instructions. I must admit the second one has turned out better than the first. It was definitely worth doing though. Those flaps are such a big part of the 'look' of a Harrier when it is slow and dirty.

Moving on, I next had to tackle the intakes. An interesting parts break down, that didn'y actually fit together too well. So, as I am doing flaps down, engine running (maybe at T/O) the doors needed opening. So out with the file and remove loads of kit plastic to make way for some replacement doors.

Moded parts on left, original badly fitting bits on right.

pic_12.jpg

And once in place and undercoated, I think that looks OK.

pic_13.jpg

cheers

Grant

Motoring along nicely here.

The final job, before attaching the wings, was to drill out the two molded openings in the mid section, thin the plastic on the inside and stick some 0.2mm mesh weave (from Little-cars) on the inside. Looks a lot better.

pic_14.jpg

And now onto the paint shop. As I am having to mix the colour, I have had to get everything ready, at the same time, 'cos I will never manage to mix the same colour twice!

Here are all the U/C doors, exhausts and the aircraft, ready for a serious paint session.

pic_15.jpg

cheers

Grant

Well the painting went well. However, the decals being a pain. The backing/glue has aged and is coming off white. I have to rinse the decals off, once they are off the paper, but then they are going on fine with a bit of Klear. They are a bit thick, but a couple of coats of Klear seem help reduce that effect.

Here is a top shot with all the upper decals on, and with the tips and controls surface sealing being painted. Why is white paint such an awful paint to use?

pic_16.jpg

And here with the masking tape removed.

pic_17.jpg

Now just the rest of the decals and put the U/C on and it should be ready for next weekends show in Plymouth.

cheers

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it is done, and very pretty it looks too. I finally got around to taking some photos. Here it is 'at Filton'.

pic_22.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys, I hope you have enjoyed the build.

cheers

Grant