F-14 Canopy question

• 11 years later...

Wow, that's an old thread to resurrect. 🙂

Depends on which kit you're talking about. I can only comment on the 1/48 Hasegawa and Tamiya kits. The Hasegawa canopy has a mold seam line down the entire outer surface which needs to be sanded off and polished. The Tamiya kit has the lightning strip molded into the canopy on the inside and it does not require sanding/polishing.

Cheers,

John

thanks John 

I did not know that the thread was old I have not been on here in a while, sorry  I forgot to mention 

my F14A  tomcat is a 1/48 scale Tamiya kit so I do not have to sand it out it is part of the canopy I heard that  on you tube Flory models I forgot the host name but he was reviewing the kit and mention that just wanted to make sure 

Ronald 

Edited by Ronald
typo

Actually, the Tamiya kit still has the seam that needs to be sanded down, but with their incredible engineering, it is so slight that it mostly goes unnoticed. I'm lazy and don't sand it down. I simply use it as the lightning strips. 😀

Just now, Darren Roberts said:

Actually, the Tamiya kit still has the seam that needs to be sanded down, but with their incredible engineering, it is so slight that it mostly goes unnoticed. I'm lazy and don't sand it down. I simply use it as the lightning strips. 😀

You're absolutely right Darren. I was looking at a canopy that I had already cleaned up on a kit I'm currently building...  Doh! :doh:  Looking at my other unstarted kits, the seam on the outside is very fine. Sanding this down doesn't affect the lightning strips molded on the inside.

Sorry for the bad intel.

Cheers,

John

14 hours ago, CF104 said:

You're absolutely right Darren. I was looking at a canopy that I had already cleaned up on a kit I'm currently building...  Doh! :doh:  Looking at my other unstarted kits, the seam on the outside is very fine. Sanding this down doesn't affect the lightning strips molded on the inside.

Sorry for the bad intel.

Cheers,

John

No need to apologize at all! I was merely clarifying.