Polar Lights 1:350 Starship Enterprise, NCC-1701-A

Well I've officially crushed my record for longest time spent working on a single project... my last record was roughly 9 weeks on my 1/350 NX-01 ISS Enterprise, and I honestly never thought I'd ever top it as I tend to work pretty fast... short attention span I guess. In any event, I started this build back in october, and while I did take a couple breaks during that time, I probably put in about 12-16 weeks of work on this monster. I've been doing a lot of lighting projects over this past year, essentially to get myself ready for this thing, my previous lighting projects typically using between 10-20 LEDs, this one was a whole new animal, my LED count topping out at around 55.

th_finished01.jpg th_finished30.jpg th_finished31.jpg th_finished34.jpg

There are between 25-30 LEDs in the saucer, 15 or so in the engineering section, and 4 each in the nacelles. I lit a few of them using a circuit card manufactured by a company called Madman Lighting, purchased through the Starship Modeler store, this card has 2 different flashing circuits allowing a handful of lights to flash or strobe at different rates, the rest of the LEDs were powered using resistors. The whole ship is powered by a 12V power adaptor, but I adapted a 12V battery pack to power it for mobile purposes, but it runs through the batteries like crazy...

th_finished39.jpg th_finished44.jpg th_finished51.jpg th_finished52.jpg

I painted the ship using vinyl masking templates made by the Aztec Dummy company, again purchased from the Starship Modeler store, and I can't recommend them highly enough, they're absolutely indispensible if you ask me. The colours were mostly custom mixed using Tamiya acrylics, but the overall hull colour is XF-2 flat white.

During the build of this model, I took extensive photos which can be found here for the build up and here for the finished model. I also took a few progress videos and posted them on youtube, they can be viewed here, there are also build up videos for some of my other recent models.

PS: A word of warning though to anyone planning to build this model anytime soon, please, I beg of you, reinforce the display stand's forward support struts... I didn't, and the bloody things broke on me... fortunately, they were fixable without too much trouble, but it was a real pain in the behind... or just wait for the upcoming reissue, which apparently has an entirely new stand

Edited by Face

And it looks even more impressive in person, as well as a LOT bigger! Several "old timers" in the club had their jaws bouncing off the floor when they saw it! Great job Sam!

Alvis 3.1

• 2 weeks later...
Holy Crap, that ship is HUGE! How much does it cost? :deadhorse1:

CultTVMan has a preorder up for the reissue at $63.95USD, but I bought a lot of aftermarket stuff for mine... I figure I had to have spent $300 on mine

• 1 year later...
Sweet looking model I have that model also and the NX-01 in 350scale. Great job and thank the Cardasian for holding it for you. :thumbsup:

I missed the 1:350 NX Class. Now they're priced way more than they're worth and I won't pay what people are asking for them. Maybe Round 2 will release them some time later...