1/72 Hasegawa F-14A in low-vis grey

Hi guys,

My 10 year old son-Chris wanted to share with you his build of a 1/72 Hasegawa F-14A that I think he wants to do as a Jolly Roger. He was given the kit and some after market Aeromaster F-14 decals but I think he still wants to do the Jolly Rogers one after the 1/32 one I built last year. He was going to post the other day but the site crashed so here is his efforts so far.

Regards

Andrew (for Chris)

DSC02652.jpg

DSC02653.jpg

Edited by Andrew Doppel

Hi Aaron,

I think this is a fairly recent boxing of the Hasegawa Tomcat. I am surprised that the panel lines are raised though. I would've thought that Hasegawa of all companies would've had recessed panel lines.

regards

Andrew

(for Chris who had the opportunity today to get some work done on it, but didn't)

Hi,

Nice one. :thumbsup: I wish I could have built like that when I was 10.

It's the old mold Hasegawa kit. The box may well be recent, they are still selling both molds side by side. The old one is a bit cheaper and has missiles in it.

The new one is a bit more expensive and has a lot more parts, but no missiles.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeez its been a while. Thanks Stefan for your comments. There's no updates as yet as Chris has been busy with school and other things recently. Hopefully, in the next week or so he'll have some real progress as school holidays are approaching here in Oz and the wet weather may get him motivated especially whilst i finish a couple of kits off.

Regards

Andrew

Here's an update from Chris. He's finished doing all the main construction in the past couple of days and just has to putty up some small gaps and sand and he's ready for painting. I/we hope you like his build.

Regards

Andrew & Chris

DSC02801.jpg

DSC02802.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well my son has slowly been working on his Tomcat but I can't help but think that Mr. Hasegawa got the painting instructions wrong on this particular kit as the underside is darker than the top side as you will see in the pics. I'm no expert on these a/c so I stand to be corrected. However, Chris is happy with it and as you can see he has started decalling. He is ready to sit it on its wheels etc but wants to get the underside decals done first.

DSC02845.jpg

DSC02846.jpg

Chris hopes you like it.

Regards

Andrew and Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice job! When I was 10 I didn't even know what plastic putty was. The only thing I painted where the areas that weren't already molded in gray. After all, why paint something gray when the plastic is already gray right? :wave: Keep up the great work. :wacko: I hope he had fun doing it!

Thanks Graves,

I too did what you did but Chris is impatient and wanted to by-pass that process. As can be seen by his work he has picked up the hobby very well. Like all of us he hates sanding and adding the numerous decals on his weapons. That's why this model is taking so long to finish.

I will pass on your comments to Chris when I see him in the morning (Australia time is currently 0400hrs)

Regards

Andrew :wacko:

Looks great. Looks like a great canvas to teach him how to weather too. But that will be another day. Nice work Chris. He should take that to some shows he might win some awards for it. The Tomcat's always have a soft spot in every crowds hearts.

Edited by jimz66
Wooooow!

Awesome kitty cat!

Tell him to have the wings folded to prevent that huge wing droop in the right wing and breaking, looks kinda fragile :thumbsup:

Done! Thanks for the comments and advice.

Regards

Chris and Andrew

Looks great. Looks like a great canvas to teach him how to weather too. But that will be another day. Nice work Chris. He should take that to some shows he might win some awards for it. The Tomcat's always have a soft spot in every crowds hearts.

Thanks Jim,

Chris intends to enter it at Expo 09 here in Melbourne in a couple of weeks along with his A10, Mirage IIIO, UH-1B and Red Arrows Hawk.

Regards

Andrew and Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Just an addition to this post, my young bloke's F14 came second in the junior's section at Expo 2009. Beaten for first by his own 1/72 UH-1B RAAF Huey. Hey what a happy kid, won two trophies and two models - 1/32 Sea Venom and 1/72 Super Constellation.

He also got two commendeds for his BAe Red Arrows Hawk and Mirage IIIO!

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Doppel
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Andrew and Chris,

Wow!! Amazing work done on the TOMCAT by your son Chris..For his age he has done a STUPENDOUS job on it.

One of the BEST F-14A I have seen here done by a kid { and dare I say by an adult !! :cheers: }

Tell him he is very talented and that he will go far like his Father....{ TOMCATS are MY FAVORITES }

And Congrats on winning Both the First and the Second PRIZE ..AWESOME...

:worship: :cop:

HOLMES.... :worship:

Cheers Holmes :cheers:

Chris will appreciate your comments when I show him. If you check the Spitfire GB you can see the work he is doing there on an ICM Mk. VIII in 1/48. He has been copying what I do very well. Hopefully he'll have his Spit finished soon too.

Regards

Andrew :cop: