Search Broken Again?

I've had some extremely frustrating moments with the search lately as well and I forgot how to search with Google within some site, in this case ARC.

Anyone care to lend a helping hand..?

I've had some extremely frustrating moments with the search lately as well and I forgot how to search with Google within some site, in this case ARC.

Anyone care to lend a helping hand..?

Jan, the google workaround is in that thread that Gene posted. This message:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....t&p=1307048

I checked the settings and the search is set up to search one letter words.......so it "should" be working fine. The fact the database imploded has had some permanent effects on the forums. Whether these can ever be resolved remains to be seen. In the next few weeks I plan to move the forums to a new server as the current server seems to be causing error messages. It is my hope that the move might fix the problems.

Before it can be moved, the completed GB's need to be removed and that is causing things to be unstable. But members are worried about useful threads being lost. So I've given everyone 2 weeks to report such threrads using the report button and the forums they would like that thread moved to. After that I will delete the completed Group Builds and begin the process of moving the forums.

It is my hope this 2 week delay won't cause the forums to implode again......it sems kind of pointless to loose the whole forums permanently over a few threads.

• 4 months later...
I'll see what I can do Gene.....

Any progress, Steve? I can't believe I'm the only person who severely misses the "old" search engine. You fixed (the current system) once, so I was hopeful you could do it again since it's obviously possible.

You'd think that an aircraft Forum would allow searches such as "F-4", or at least "F-4C" (with or without quotes) if a minimum of three characters is required. There's so much that ARC has to offer that would be so much more accessible.

Gene K

• 5 months later...
Any progress, Steve? I can't believe I'm the only person who severely misses the "old" search engine. You fixed (the current system) once, so I was hopeful you could do it again since it's obviously possible.

You'd think that an aircraft Forum would allow searches such as "F-4", or at least "F-4C" (with or without quotes) if a minimum of three characters is required. There's so much that ARC has to offer that would be so much more accessible.

Gene K

Hey Steve, any progress after two years?

Gene K

I checked and adjusting the settings won't fix this problem. This problem appeared after the program was updated. I do plan to move the program to the Invision servers as they are the makers of the program and maybe they could look into it. Possibly this issue was addressed in one of the newer updates for the program. To move this forum to a new servers will mean redirecting the domain name thus causeing huge grief for the bulk of the membership and it will require my 24/7 attention for a week.

I'm working 12 - 15 hours a day doing daily updates and loading articles into the database of the new site. Loading articles requires me to load each paragraph and each photo one by one into the correct spot in the database....one by one......then each article needs to have search engine tags added so it shows up in the database etc. Then I have to check each article very carefully to make sure it is all there. I can do between 2 to 7 articles per hour....there are 14,000 articles, so the task is massive. It's actiually a 10 year job I'm trying to get done in 2 years.

ARC does not pay enough for me to ever consider it as a livable income. I would have to run 3 sites like ARC if I ever hoped to get a meagre living income from ARC. So I've been draining down my savings for the past 2 years since I quit my job to get the ARC Air site loaded into a database that will automate certain work and hopefully permit me to have enough time to run 3 sites. The other two options were to work 80 hours a week between a job and ARC just to do daily updates, but I did that for many years and it does become a dain to say the least. And the third option was to shut down ARC....get a full time job and move on.

So I'm trying to expand ARC inot 3 sites which I'm confident will permit me to make this a full time job and pay the bills etc.

Try to understand....loading articles to the database of the new ARC air site does not refer to the forum program in any way. They are 2 separate things. Anything that keeps me from loading articles or doing daily updates will probably be ignored until I get this project done........it has a priority for obvious reasons which I explained earlier in this post.

I'm sorry for not being able to address all the issues but my time is limited and I do have a priority to consider.

The problem is if you try to search for short things such as F-15.

You can search F-15 if you use the Wildcard ( * )

So search would be F-15*

Main problem with the search is, it will not find everything under the search that even fits the exact thing your looking for.

For instance I made a thread once with VF101 typed in it.

Then Searched VF101 and the search never found it. I also tried VF101*, VF-101, AND VF-101* and it did not find it.

Edited by Wayne S