Recently started this, it's Tamiya's 1/35th kit - finished the running gear and awaiting fruil tracks from Hannants. Will do the front lower glacies and rear door area over the week-end.

build19-1.jpg

build20-1.jpg

One of the best rear ends I've seen!

I'm glad you're doing a step-by-step on the front side. I was going to ask you how you weathered like that. I want to build some armor, the only thing holding me back is I don't know how to weather like that. Can't wait!

Matt

Looks great, but why in the world are you weathering (let alone painting) before you have the whole thing built up?! Trust me, its going to be a monumental task to get your lower and upper hull finishes to match up.

I know what you're thinking - the skirts will block the wheels and track, but those would still be easier to reach at with a brush than the task you're making for yourself.

Then again, its your model

Looks great, but why in the world are you weathering (let alone painting) before you have the whole thing built up?! Trust me, its going to be a monumental task to get your lower and upper hull finishes to match up.

I know what you're thinking - the skirts will block the wheels and track, but those would still be easier to reach at with a brush than the task you're making for yourself.

I did the same thing on my Bradley

Thanks for all comments guys - RKic, I know it seems strange but I never weather or wear 'n tear the super-structure the same as the sub-structure. Even the turret gets a different spin. The colours are what's important and once i've decided on the colour and the extent of wear 'n tear then I tackle each structure differently. These posts are extracts from a full article build on another site but this post from that article can perhaps explain my process. Thanks for the interest and the comment which is welcome as always.

build03-1.jpg

Geoff

I wasn't going to use the vinyl tracks but while waiting for the Fruil tracks from Hannant's, I thought I'd try painting the vinyl one's to see what I could make of it. I was so surprised and impressed with the result that I have decided to use them. For those who are interested here is my painting sequence.

1. A coat of high quality primer which must have "elasticity" I use

Alclad's auto primer.

2. A coat of Model Master enamal (20% Rust 80% flat Black)

3. A wash of Burnt Sienna artist oils - allow 24 hours to dry.

4. Using my dried out Model Master Aluminium buff, dry brush inside

of tracks and outer edges. Using a cloth I use the buff to add extra

"shine" to the guide horn tips.

5. A coat of Warbird acrylic matt clear.

6. Using artists oils Black, I dry brush the rubber pads - allow to dry for

24 hours.

7. Another coat of warbird matt clear.

8. Once the tracks are now attached I very lightly dry brush everything

including wheels, using Tamiya's dry pigments "SAND" colour.

Thought I'd show the completed sub-structure (minus tow cable still to come). I dry fitted the super-structure

build32-1.jpg

build33-1.jpg

build29-1.jpg

build30-1.jpg

build31-1.jpg

Just another update....

build34-1.jpg

build35-1.jpg

build36-1.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the old cammo schemes but your weathering has really brought them to life. What color paint / marker are you using for those scratches?

Keep up the good work.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few progress pics which again are from another blog and are self explanatary.

Gloss coat as a sealer and preparation for first wash

SH100077-1.jpg

SH100079-1.jpg

build1-1.jpg

SH100081-1.jpg

Flar clear coat in preparation for second wash and further weathering

SH100083-1.jpg

SH100084-1.jpg

SH100087-1.jpg

SH100088-1.jpg

And that is the upper hull done for now.

• 2 weeks later...