Tamiya AS spray paints for aircraft

The header says it all.

I'm mostly looking for spray equivalents for light gull gray and possibly RAF barley gray. With some detective work I found out that Tamiya AS16 seems to be their equivalent for light gull gray, but is it a good match?

Also, would anyone know what would be the best match for Soviet (WWII) tank green? Again, from their line of spray paints.

Hi there, master of brushpainting! ;)

So, you´re converting to spraycans. I sort of gave up on painting large areas with brushes and joined the dark side (airbrushers) a while back. The difference really is rediculous (for me since I´m not superhuman like some :lol:) , what you fight so hard with to achieve with the paintbrush you can achieve with the airbrush in like an instant. Not regretting my desicion at all.

PICT0004-10.jpg

After some fiddling around, I did this in 30 minutes with Tamiya acrylics and an Aztek A470. Not hard at all even for a beginner :)

I'm mostly looking for spray equivalents for light gull gray and possibly RAF barley gray. With some detective work I found out that Tamiya AS16 seems to be their equivalent for light gull gray, but is it a good match?

I can´t comment on this really but from looking at the swatches in the catalog I can imagine that it´s pretty much spot on.

Also, would anyone know what would be the best match for Soviet (WWII) tank green? Again, from their line of spray paints.

TS-61 Nato green is a dead on match for the armour green the russians used.

If nothing of these works you could always look into something like this.

I guarantee that it will make everything alot easier. And its pretty cheap if you don´t like it so it won´t "be a big pill to swallow".

HTH!

Emil

Edited by nr1forme
Hi there, master of brushpainting! :worship:

So, you´re converting to spraycans.

PICT0004-10.jpg

Hah, almost got me! But just almost. ;)

Seriously speaking, I'm just contemplating whether to expand to other shades than white and metal colours when doing spray painting. I can still handle other colours, though it would be nice try some shade of gray as well, be it the light gull gray for the kittie or barley gray for the tiffie.

The kind of camo you have on your Sukhoi certainly can't be done with a brush. That's actually the option I would like to do when building a Flagon and you've done a great job there!

It's just that the kind of city flat we are living in plus the fact that my hobby room is also our bedroom (now also shared by our newcomer, the baby) just doesn't permit the use of airbrush.

TS-61 Nato green is a dead on match for the armour green the russians used.

Okay, that didn't even cross my mind. It's kinda strange that they don't have any "official" Soviet/Russian green since they have a lot Russian tanks in their cataloque.

Thanks for the help, mate!