VF-31 Last Cruise F-14D....

I would like to get in on your build here if I could. If so, I would like to build the following.

I'm going to turn this Hasegawa F-14B into a D with a little nose job. She will be decked out with some VF-31 Last Cruise Low-Viz decals. AIM-9's will be trimed with some Two Bobs decals. I'm going to ty to scratch build the pit and put in some sweet Aires NACES SJU-17 seats. I'll throw in a bit of Eduard PE to spice it up a bit.

I saw a VF-31 bird loaded out whit what I thought looked interesting.

1 - GBU-12

1 - JDAM

1 - AIM-9

LANTRIN

So here it is if I can play...

IMG_3089.jpg

Edited by Rhinolover

Thanks Brian. The decals are sweet. Also, thanks for the chin pod.

I'm planning on #105. If you have anything on it that would be great. I tried the link at the bottom of the sheet but it does not seem to work for me. Do you know where I can find some good images of the canvas under the windscreen and the RIO console? I'm looking for some detail aroud the HUD.

Thanks Brian. The decals are sweet. Also, thanks for the chin pod.

I'm planning on #105. If you have anything on it that would be great. I tried the link at the bottom of the sheet but it does not seem to work for me. Do you know where I can find some good images of the canvas under the windscreen and the RIO console? I'm looking for some detail aroud the HUD.

All of my walk arounds are external shots.

Eventhough VF-31 had invited me out to shoot their jets, I wasn't pressing my luck asking for pit shots.

Shoot me an email to brian.marbrey@yahoo.com and I'll fwd you what I took.

Working on getting the cockpit and seats adjusted. Just a little work on th rabbit ears and lining the cockpit wall with some tissue paper. I also rounded off the squard corners of the RIO's canvas cover. I then covered them with some tissue paper for a little more texture.

IMG_3097.jpg

After a few hours tonight I was able to pull most of the cockpit together and bring it to life. I really love the Aries seats once they are strapped up and painted. I'm also really pleased with my minimal scratch building on the forward canvas adding the box and a few wires. The color really tuned out nice for me as well. I used the Tamiya XF-49 Khaki and then used a very light black dry brush. I really thing taking of the squared corners of the rear cover really makes it a bit more realistic and the tissue paper gives it a nice texture.

I'm planning on a canopy closed but I'm a bit bummed I didn't spend a bit more time on the wall to the side of the pilots seat. I also may try to close that 1/16 gap along the top of it as well.

Anyway, thoughts and comments always welcomed.

IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_3106.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3107.jpg

I guess the point of the GB thead is to keep you all posted regardless of the lame basic construction update.

This is my second cat and I have found adding the support blocks to be a valuable addition when joining the forward intake to the rear fuselage. For me, just adding the blocks makes joining these joints almost seamless needing only some Tamiya thin cement and quick sand to finish them off. The blocks bring both surfaces level eliminating any step. This has also worked wonders on attaching the upper fuselage as well.

I have been completing the forward cockpit, filling and sanding. I then add the upper rear fuselage and let it dry. Then add the completed bottom fuselage and pulling them together. This has really taken alot of the stress and filling out of the assembly.

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3111.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

Just more mundane construction...

I have added many blocks and support pieces to the inside of the lower fuselage. I know it looks crazy but it pays off in the end.

IMG_3116.jpg

Once the intakes are added I use 5 minute epoxy to glue it from the inside. I squeez the intakes from the inside and hold for 5 minutes until it sets. This eliminates any opening or nasty join line.

IMG_3115.jpg

I finish and sand the completed forward section as I go working in smaller sections. Here is the forward section seams primed and hole added for the yaw string.

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3118.jpg

I then merge the forward section with the rear section top only. I tack this with Tamiya thin cement and hold. Once dry I run a nice bead of 2 part epoxy to esure a good connection. Doing the top only gives me a great seam line along the testy joint.

IMG_3122.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

With a rubber band I pull in the intakes and run a thin bead of Tamia thin cement to hold it. The corner seam ends up perfect needing no filling or sanding.

IMG_3123.jpg

Sorry to bore you.

Well, it's time for a beer. The hard part is done. The Tomcat is assembled and ready for a bit of Mr. Dissolved putty and a bit of sanding.

Once the top is cured overnight I add the lower fuselage and pull them together. A small piece of sprue and some epoxy hold them together nicely and will be covered by the missle rails.

IMG_3128.jpg

IMG_3125.jpg

I needed to take a break from the body work. I decided to knock out the burner cans. This is what I do if anyone is interested.

I first paint the inside of the tubes radome tan and add a second coat of white leaving the brush strokes. I use enamel paint for this. I also do the inside of the ring and petals.

IMG_3114.jpg

Then I gather the supplies. Windex, paper towels, Q-Tips, and acrylic black and burnt umber paints.

IMG_3129.jpg

Once the tubes and cans are together I spray the inside with a mix of black and umber.

While still wet I wet the paper towel with Windex and pull it back and forth inside the tubes. This removes only the acrylic paint and and leaves the enamel undercoat intact on the raised ridges leaving a nice pattern.

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

I then do the same for the rings and the petals only this time I use a wet Q-Tip runing back and forth removing most of the black leaving the streaking pattern.

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

Then I preshade the cans with some black and umber then spray a gun metal finish.

IMG_3136.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

Then I tape of the petals and spray the steel ring, tape that off and spray a mix of black and gray to take the edge off. I do one coat of Future and apply the petal decals and then finish it off with 2 coats of Future. I like the look of the cans with the polished finish as many times the cans were wiped with a protectant that gave it a bit of shine.

So here they are finished off. I'll probably add some rivit detail with a fine sharpie on the steel ring.

IMG_2992.jpg

Very nice job John. Nice technique, I have been trying to figure out how to get the look I want for those and haven't nailed it yet. Although I don't use enamels this is worth some thought. I also like your interior ideas for holding the upper and lower parts together. Nicely done.

Edited by jimz66

My skill level does not allow me cut out the rails to add the bomb racks so I just flush mounted them. They sit pretty well and I'll run a bead of Mr. Surfacer to clean up the join line.

I do like the look of the loadout though. She will also carry two AIM-9's and the LANTRIN pod.

IMG_3140-1.jpg

Edited by Rhinolover

This is my first attempt at detailing landing gear. The pictures are not the best but to the eye they came out really well. I was able to get the hydraulic lines down the front and few up the rear. They were painted with Tamiya white surface primer and then a black wash. A bit of rust was added and a few chips. Again, the wear looks a bit worse because of my pictures but is actually pretty subtle. My goal was a dirty set of legs just back from a long cruise.

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

Edited by Rhinolover

I don't know why I felt the need to add the windshild rain removal jets...but they seem to be a nice touch along with the yaw string.

IMG_3157.jpg

I installed the exhaust tubes as well. I like to add the tubes seperately. I center them in the hole and secure them. Now I can paint and weather the entire plane and then simply roll the burn cans up through the bottom eliminating the need for taping off the cans. This gives me a super crisp line between the fuselage extension and the cans.

IMG_3156.jpg

Just some misc. pictures of the cockpit with the seats decaled. I'm feeling pretty happy with the look of it.

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

Looks great, though something is weird on one of your last pics. The GPS dome seems to be offset (meaning not aligned with the center of the spine).

Is it an optical trick due to the picture?

Edited by Platypus

Well, from the pictures I was using it appeared to be correctly placed. My bad. I have it sitting a bit left of center, but not on the antenna that was removed. It's a hard chunk of epoxy that, for me, is not coming off now. Thanks for poiting it out. I have another D in line and will make the correction on that one.

Maybe I'll just misplace all my GPS domes on future builds and call it my signature.

Edited by Rhinolover