VF-31 Last Cruise F-14D....

Looking great, Rhinolover. :thumbsup:

Something similar happened with my GPS dome.

Before I installed it, the pictures that I looked at also gave me the impression that it was slightly to the left. I found out it's actually in the center, but when I drilled the hole my handheld drill moved a bit to the left.

It would not be that noticeable, but my subject has a black stripe coming from the canopy ending in a point next to the dome. :rofl:

I hope to do better next time.

Cheers, Stefan.

Just a little painting update....

Lots of post shading with different shades of gray. The fading is not really evident in the pictures but it came out pretty well. I also trimmed out the gun port and vent just aft of it. The walkways were painted on by using the decals provided as a stencil cutting out the walkway from the sheet and then laying it on the model and spraying through. This eliminated the hassle of tapping it off and gave me a soft line around the edges. The ECM blisters also give it a bit of life with the zinc chromate.

IMG_3158.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

I LOVE THAT AIM-9!!!!

Did you use Euro Gray for the head, or did you use metallic color?

The LANTIRN is well done too!

Thanks. I used Euro Gray with a few drops of gun metal to give it a little metalic kick. The pylon and LANTRIN still need to be weathered and a matt finish applied.

A major milestone today....

I don't know about you all, but I stress about the windscreen and canopy during the whole build. I'm of the attach it when I begin painting school and fret every bit of the way. I'm always worried about paint or specks getting in behind the glass, paint leaking under the tape, and sanding so closely. Until I get it off it's a nail biter.

Well..the moment of truth came today, and canopy perfection was achieved. :thumbsup: I see the end is sight now.

Here's the bird sitting under the wash.

IMG_3173.jpg'

And the windscreen...yaw string installed and just a hint of green in that center panel too. It's looking pretty convincing now.

IMG_3175.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

Edited by Rhinolover

Great work so far. I like how you use careful fitting and reinforcements on seams for the basic build. Question; on most all Hasegawa builds i`ve seen, the vertical fins are usually left off `til the end, is the fit that good for these parts?

Don

Great work so far. I like how you use careful fitting and reinforcements on seams for the basic build. Question; on most all Hasegawa builds i`ve seen, the vertical fins are usually left off `til the end, is the fit that good for these parts?

Don

This is only my second HAS Tomcat build. The ones I have seen have always had the tails installed prior to painting. The last one, and this one, the tails are absolutly last, for me. I finish, paint, add all the sensor probes and then tun it over and lastly add the tails secured with epoxy. I do make sure the fit is straight and clean to avoid and last minute problems.

This will be my last WIP post for this Turkey. I'm putting the finishing touches on her now.

Here are the last two pices of the puzzle finished off. I went ahead with painting up the GBU-31 so I can set it up underneath for some pictures later. I will be replaced as soon as the GBU-38's arrive for a more accurate representation.

IMG_3180.jpg