Tamiya M2A2 Bradley IFV

Whats the black thingy on the front of the hull?

That is part E12. Duh!

Seriously though....I have no clue. Some of the armor guys at FSM called it a "Swim barrier".....I like "Black thingy on the front" myself.

Yes that is a swim barrier alright... sort of. The part you see there is actually a boot that the barrier rolls up into. The boot is actually painted with the rest of the hull so you might want to dust a little of your sand color over it. I say dust because some of the black shows through as the paint wears off of it. You know, I never once saw one deployed, not even while I was in Basic Training. Swimming Bradleys was banded long ago because, well frankly, it was a dumb idea and they sank. Killed several soldiers when they use to try. In the late 90's we removed them from our tracks down in Ft. Hood.

All that being said I will say that like how yours is turning out I like how you have the exhaust staining on the turret, a detail often overlooked.

Looking at this Bradley brings back a few memories.

Dave Shaw

Noticed the exhaust stains on the turret as well. Nice detail! :thumbsup:

<...> Swimming Bradleys was banded long ago because, well frankly, it was a dumb idea and they sank. <...>

Was it a weight issue? I know the Fuchs wheeled APC was once classed as amphibious in Bundeswehr service, but is no longer because they added so much stuff to it they'd no longer float.

If I can make a suggestion... your wash looks like its leaving pooling marks. Did you use an acrylic paint for it? Oils can do it too sometimes though...

anyhow, if you see that happening while your wash dries, try dipping a wide flat brush into some turp and and using downward strokes, spread the wash into nice streaks. Also, unlike in aircraft, it helps if your wash is done on a flat coat.

If I can make a suggestion... your wash looks like its leaving pooling marks. Did you use an acrylic paint for it? Oils can do it too sometimes though...

anyhow, if you see that happening while your wash dries, try dipping a wide flat brush into some turp and and using downward strokes, spread the wash into nice streaks. Also, unlike in aircraft, it helps if your wash is done on a flat coat.

That was kind of the goal....I wanted the dirt and mud to have that caked on look....like it had sat in the hot sun and baked for awhile. I could have cleaned it much better and eliminated the pool marks, but I wanted it real dirty and messy looking.

That is over a flat coat

Very nice work Paul :soapbox: .

Armor is a fun way to keep your head clear after or during a stressful aircraft.

For your second build, that is one heck of a job :)