Asia pacific geo-political mini-gb

similiar to my other thread about the middle east, this is more about the asia pacific region which is also just as ripe for what if scenarios.

certainly, the most important factors in the region is the nuclear arms race of india and pakistan, and it opens up alot of possibilties of military hardware.. pakistani j-10s, eurofighters, j-11s, AH-64 apaches to deal with india's tank armada and to give attack options in forward positions in kashmir. Indian Army mil-mi-24s with upgrades to counter, f-16block60 IN painted in exotic camo schemes for all of india's different terrain. 2nd gen naval aircraft for the INS Vikraat in the form of F-35K!

to their northeast, China too, offers alot of what if. their increasing military strength to assert influence over the region could bring in alot of reaction from Russia's eastern forces, taiwan, japan, the 2 koreas, south to the south east asia, and as far away as australia and new zealand.

chinese tu-160s to supplement aging tu-16s. more su-30s and j-10s with fanciful weapons. locally adapted designs of the s-47 berkut, and perhaps even the unlicensed copy of the f-22! and if they develop their aircraft carrier that is inevitable, what sort of v/stol aircraft would be flying? i have seen yak-38s on the Minsk museum. perhaps they have already re-engineered the parts and making their own design of a vtol. or if they go conventional, might we see navalised j-10s, j-7s, l-39s for the light attack role?

maybe this sparks aggressive arms race with taiwan and japan. japan orders dozens of new interceptors and fighters such as eurofighters, f-22s, f-35s, and Macross and gundam. a wing zero gundam with a hinomaru on one of the petals will awe anyone. and if they have a strike freedom gundam with all the lasers and dragoon system, heck, its a whole new era of dogfighting. taiwan might be left to fend for itself desperately, first locally upgrading its f-5 tigers to f-20 tigersharks, upgrading to f-16MLUs and maybe block 52 Ds with spine backs.. (ooh yes RoCAF spineback f-16D 52s), mirage 2000s, rafales, gripens..you get the picture.

in south east asia, an arms race would have ensued to meet the China power. the latest 4th gen fighters are already in the region, Flankers of different marks are operated by indonesia, malaysia and vietnam, perhaps they will get fitted with thrust vectoring, and tropical jungle camo schemes for the long range strike fighter role. spine back block 60 F-16s, f-35s for the singaporean airforce, and a reformed philipines air force switching to rotary wing to fight militancy insurgency with Apaches and armed Albatros. Thailand will paint up their gripens in the SEA jungle camo. brunei too, will acquire long range eurofighters with harpoons to defend their oil interests.

australia, having received the super hornet, will lease some of their older hornets to new zealand pilots, in bilateral defence arrangments. the kiwis may even buy half a dozen of them and paint in the dark greenish blue scheme last seen on the skyhawks. maybe the kiwis even might buy a few gripens..

Edited by Tomcat RIO

this is the minihobby 1/144 gripen.

in 2007 the royal thai airforce purchased swedish gripens to replace aging f-5s in the fleet. this arrived in-country in the typical grey scheme, but it was found that they stood out from the lush jungle tropics like a sore thumb. thus the thai goverment looked for alternative paint schemes, and found that the original swedish splinter scheme for use in Nordic forests was just as effective in southeat asia(more effective than the previous USAF vietnam style camo)

construction was fairly straightforward, with putty needed to fill the gaps. heck yes to a swedish splinter gripen, looked like a viggen on the 1st pass actually.

gripthai2-2.jpg

gripthai-1.jpg

gripthai22.jpg

gripthai23.jpg

gripthai24.jpg

gripthai25.jpg

gripthai2-1.jpg

the next is the new zealand f-18a. With the arrival of the Super Hornet in 2010, the aussies find themself with more warplanes than they can handle in th aftermath of the world recession. at the same time, new zealand's resurgent political party decides to strengten the armed forces to be able to meet the percieved threat of militant sea-going pirates from new guinea and eastern indonesia. a chance for mutually beneficial agreement thus occured. the aussies would lease/sell 9 of their middle-time f-18a s to the RNZaf to form a new squadron, the 'Nazguls'. the NZ f-18s are tasked with anti-piracy patrols armed with harpoons and operate together with the p-3 orions, they also have a limited role in enforcing freedom of navigation in the antartic sea and thus have de-icing gear.

kit is kangnam, my ex-kuwaiti air force that has seen better days. i stripped her apart, and then put her in wheels up condition, strnegthening the wheel bays to put a aluminium rod stand later.

hhpar26.jpg

hhpar28.jpg

DSCN2522.jpg

Edited by Tomcat RIO

TcRio, those designs look really good, gotta give you a :pray: here, especially on the backstory. I might suggest though something a bit milder via-the Macross and Gundam stuff. I was thinking, it is more realistic (in your timeframe) for a semi-GERWALK mode to exist, and it would give instant VTOL as well as much improved weapons handling and in-general construction work ability, so maybe JASDF VF-19s with modified wing profiles (less span, more chord, and bigger canards) and only GERWALK/Fighter modes with or without arm manipulators.

glad you guys like it. Gerwalk sounds interesting, i do have one of those half assembled from ages ago. And i do not discount a fully operational gundam, i read recently they were going to build a 1:1 59 feet tall rx-78 display in tokyo to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the gundam series. i think sv51macross you would be interested. they will display it for a year, then take it down, it is made of fibreglass and metal frame. now what if the JGSDF dcided to take ovr from there, adding their own hydraulics..

glad you guys like it. Gerwalk sounds interesting, i do have one of those half assembled from ages ago. And i do not discount a fully operational gundam, i read recently they were going to build a 1:1 59 feet tall rx-78 display in tokyo to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the gundam series. i think sv51macross you would be interested. they will display it for a year, then take it down, it is made of fibreglass and metal frame. now what if the JGSDF dcided to take ovr from there, adding their own hydraulics..

I dunno...why not try to make something similar to the sleek, lithe mechs from Ghost in the Shell SAC? and that RX-78 as mentioned will be a static display. I just think that it's simply too large a weapon to be practical without Minnsky Physics, plus it would just about destroy anything it walked on. A Fighter jet on legs, however...

mounted the harpoons for the hornet, and also handpainted the kiwi roundel. i am not too steady hand at painting, so it was a bit fat->the kiwi. oh well.. now i'm looking for interesting tailcode and serials, and also a nazgul emblem..

kiwi18p23.jpg

kiwi18p2.jpg

kiwi18p22.jpg

• 1 month later...