Best kit for 1/72 c-130e

There are, I believe, two choices - Airfix and Italeri. Both are 80s vintage with raised panel lines. The Italeri is probably the better of the two. I think they're both OOP, but not terribly hard to find on evilBay.

There are, I believe, two choices - Airfix and Italeri. Both are 80s vintage with raised panel lines. The Italeri is probably the better of the two. I think they're both OOP, but not terribly hard to find on evilBay.

Italeri is the way forward, the fit is pretty good and one built it looks like a Hurc. I would Steer away from the Old Airfix as its very old tooling although Current boxing are worth looking out for as they are from the Italeri mold. One other which you may find on Ebay is the Esci Kit which also builds well with a bit of work.

If you want to build the latest short body versions Italeri is the only option as the current kit provides the new props all the other kits dont, only way you can make the long body is cut and shut two kits.

Italeri is still available, boxed as a C-130H with US Lizzard camoflage.

Airfix' reboxed Italeri is worth looking for since it usually sells a bit cheaper and has a magnificent set of decals (one of few times the actually got things right). Has options for Kiwi, Aussie, RAF and Swedish Hercs.

If you're picky, there are some issues with the Italeri bird since it's origin was as an AC-130A, most prominent is that the nacelles are too short. But IMO you can build it out of the box and still have a great Hercules without much effort. If you really want to get busy, there's no lack of aftermarket options.....

You can have a look at my Herc build here if you want images of the kit. Jeez...about time to update that thread BTW...

Cheers!

Per

The old Airfix kit is arguably the best because its shape is more right than the Italeri kit is, but neither are perfect.

The Italeri kit [reboxed recently by Airfix] has good fit over all but has some shape problems, most natabley the step in the fusalage forward of the sponsons isnt there and the hump over the wings shouldnt be flat as it is.

The Esci kit is also nice but has its own problems too, notably the shape of the cockpit glass, its rounded when it should be straight.

Ive got all 3 of the offerings and cant really say which is best.

The best one would be the cheapest you can find because none are perfect.

All can be built as a C-130E, despite being boxed as a C-130H

Plus the H kit may say it has Australian decals inside but it doesn't!

Actually one of the Esci boxings came with RAAF 'A' model markings , I have them somewhere. I have never heard of the original Airfix or the Italeri C-130s being boxed with RAAF markings. The current Airfix boxing (of the Italeri kit) has 37SQN RAAF anniversary markings.

Nope, Testors used to be a brand of it's own that made their own models. After aquiring Italeri (or was it the other way round?!!) they began reboxing some Italeri and Esci kits for the US market.