Discovered a nice trick

I have been working on my 1-72 KC-135R and the wing to fuselage seams are just horrible. As I was wondering how to

apply putty to the seams, a light bulb came on. What about using q-tips? The putty knife I use will not reach into the

complex curves of the wing root. So what I did was to mask off the area of the wing root and I took some

of the putty with the q-tip and I spread it into the seam. The q-tip gets into those tight spots that a putty knife

has a hard time getting into. It also smooths the putty very well. After that, I pulled the masking tape off and I used the nail

polisher trick. Combined, I did very little sanding. Anyway, I thought I would share with you.

RYAN.

I have been working on my 1-72 KC-135R and the wing to fuselage seams are just horrible. As I was wondering how to

apply putty to the seams, a light bulb came on. What about using q-tips? The putty knife I use will not reach into the

complex curves of the wing root. So what I did was to mask off the area of the wing root and I took some

of the putty with the q-tip and I spread it into the seam. The q-tip gets into those tight spots that a putty knife

has a hard time getting into. It also smooths the putty very well. After that, I pulled the masking tape off and I used the nail

polisher trick. Combined, I did very little sanding. Anyway, I thought I would share with you.

RYAN.

Yep, Q-tip dipped in nail polish remover does wonders! Very little sanding required.

• 8 years later...