Gulf War AH-1F Questions

Some time ago I started building the Monogram AH-1F/S kit and decided I'd like to complete this as a US Army aircraft from the 1991 Gulf War. What started as a simple project became no so simple as I damaged the skids and this therefore saw me rebuilding the skid mountings from brass tube bent to shape (tedious work).

I have now completed this and I am in the finished stages of the kit. I have made the following modifications so far:

-Added FOD covers (I closed the fuselage before Flloyd's IPSs were available and to be honest back then I didn't know I needed them).

-Some aerials and antennae from pictures.

-Removed the "U" shaped aerials from either side of the tailboom.

-Added mesh into the vents on the fuselage sides.

-Added the light on the port skid mounting.

-Rebuilt the TOW launchers into double rather than quad launchers.

Hopefully I am correct in what I've done above. Its all from pictures rather than actual knowledge of the subject.

Now after coming back to this build I see a few things I did not notice before:

1)Chaff (M-130?) launcher on the tail boom.

Was this just on the port side? Does anyone have any good pictures of this?

2)FFAR Pods.

I see the kits pods are quite different from the pods in pictures. Firstly the kit pods have a "lip" around the front of the pod. From some brief reading am I correct in saying these are M200 pods and not the M261 which is what I see in pictures? I did consider that I could sand off the "lip" and get an approximation of the M261 however I then realised the arrangement of the tubes on the kit pod is different (rotated 90 degree so the top of the pod has a single rocket rather than a row of three). From looking at pictures of the M200 this seems incorrect also. Did Monogram make a mistake here? Where can I get a pair of 1/48 M-261s?

3)Paint.

What was the FS colour of the overall desert/sand aircraft?

I have just been working on the decals for my build and now I seem to have produced two subjects so I have to decide which one to build!:

Image3-1.jpg

Cheers,

Ed

Edited by eddygrantham

Hi Eddy,

Long time no see! Here's the skinny from Floyd Werner, Jr when I asked about the chaff/flare dispenser a few years ago;

As for the chaff dispenser, (FYI the M-130 flare and chaff dispenser on the Cobra was only configured for the chaff), it depends on what markings you are putting on it. I never saw one until Desert Storm. If you are doing a desert storm bird I would add it, if not don't sweat it.

Floyd

EDIT: The dispenser was only used on the port side. There was a recess just ahead of the tail fin where the dispenser was mounted. Give me a few moments and I'll post a pic for you.

And about the FFAR pods;

The M260 (seven shot) or M261 (nineteen shot) pods are used inboard on Army Cobras. Some did carry seven shot pods but usually F model Cobras carried the 19 shot pods.

HTH,

Alby

Edited by Albert Moore

Alby,

Cheers for that. I hadn't touched a model for a long time (Well, a plastic model that is) due to the evil influence of fast motorbikes however I am in plaster at the moment after a skiing accident and I'm unsure how long it will take me to get enough movement to walk/ride a bike. Therefore what better to pass the time....

Thanks for the image. I'll chop a slot into the tail boom tonight and add the M-130.

As for the FFAR pods, I see that Monogram did indeed make a mistake as the rear cap for the FFAR pods is orientated correctly as per:

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/iceman/data/specs116.jpg

I therefore guess the alignment tabs on the front pod cap are 90 degrees out. Either way I cut mine off, rotated them and reattached before sanding off the "lip" around the edge of the pod. They now look pretty much like the M-260 (I can't see that the dimensions are too far off after all they carry the same rockets). I also drilled out each tube so I can insert a few rockets here and there (as I see in some pictures).

BR,

Ed

I see your making decals for 15497. What made you decide to build that one?

Hi,

It was just that it was one of only two aircraft that I had pictures of both sides of. I was pointed to some pictures online, which I believe are yours by Jake Cikhart who I know has spoken to you recently via PM. I understand you have a special relationship with that aircraft. Would you like a set of decals? (FOC).

Cheers,

Ed

Edited by eddygrantham
Now after coming back to this build I see a few things I did not notice before:

1)Chaff (M-130?) launcher on the tail boom.

Was this just on the port side? Does anyone have any good pictures of this?

2)FFAR Pods.

I see the kits pods are quite different from the pods in pictures. Firstly the kit pods have a "lip" around the front of the pod. From some brief reading am I correct in saying these are M200 pods and not the M261 which is what I see in pictures? I did consider that I could sand off the "lip" and get an approximation of the M261 however I then realised the arrangement of the tubes on the kit pod is different (rotated 90 degree so the top of the pod has a single rocket rather than a row of three). From looking at pictures of the M200 this seems incorrect also. Did Monogram make a mistake here? Where can I get a pair of 1/48 M-261s?

I have just been working on the decals for my build and now I seem to have produced two subjects so I have to decide which one to build!:

Here is my latest news: I have M-130 Chaff Dispensers that will part of the AH-1F Update set avialable shortly.

I have the proper rocket pods available now. They are the M-261 seven shot pods though. I'm working (Joseph actually) is working on the 19 shot M-216 pods.

I will try to post the photos of the M-130 dispenser as well as I have four view profile, top, bottom, front and back view of them.

As for the decals, we are working on getting them out as soon as we can. The artwork is almost done. Yes those two aircraft are going to be on the sheet as well. Printed by either Microscale, Cartigraf or Aviprint.

Floyd

Here is my latest news: I have M-130 Chaff Dispensers that will part of the AH-1F Update set avialable shortly.

I have the proper rocket pods available now. They are the M-261 seven shot pods though. I'm working (Joseph actually) is working on the 19 shot M-216 pods.

I will try to post the photos of the M-130 dispenser as well as I have four view profile, top, bottom, front and back view of them.

As for the decals, we are working on getting them out as soon as we can. The artwork is almost done. Yes those two aircraft are going to be on the sheet as well. Printed by either Microscale, Cartigraf or Aviprint.

Floyd

:salute: Damn, first my money for the truck went out the window and now you want me to cancel my leave to Germany????!!!!! Deployment money aint half bad but this is getting ridiculous Floyd! :jaw-dropping:

Hi,

It was just that it was one of only two aircraft that I had pictures of both sides of. I was pointed to some pictures online, which I believe are yours by Jake Cikhart who I know has spoken to you recently via PM. I understand you have a special relationship with that aircraft. Would you like a set of decals? (FOC).

Cheers,

Ed

Thank you for the offer but I am waiting on Floyd's set with the multiple a/c. As far as I know there have only been about 3 pictures of 15497 floating around on the net till I started putting the ones I had on, and Jake asked to post them on his ODS aircraft history page.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the offer but I am waiting on Floyd's set with the multiple a/c. As far as I know there have only been about 3 pictures of 15497 floating around on the net till I started putting the ones I had on, and Jake asked to post them on his ODS aircraft history page.

At the moment we are up to TEN AH-1Fs, three sand color ones, and five sharkmouths. The decals are looking great. Still have one or two aircraft to select, but Ole #7 is done. If you have been holding off on building the Monogram or Fujimi kits because you didn't have decals that will soon not be an excuse. I think we should have a Cobra group build.

Floyd

At the moment we are up to TEN AH-1Fs, three sand color ones, and five sharkmouths. The decals are looking great. Still have one or two aircraft to select, but Ole #7 is done. If you have been holding off on building the Monogram or Fujimi kits because you didn't have decals that will soon not be an excuse. I think we should have a Cobra group build.

Floyd

Please add these. I'd do an AH-1F for a Cobra group build if we can get some of these decals:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=180573

Floyd

that is great news. It is the only thing holding me up on another build or from ordering your resin subkit.

thanks,

joe.

Please add these. I'd do an AH-1F for a Cobra group build if we can get some of these decals:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=180573

A Marine Cobra!? NEVER! OK well at least not on this sheet. Joseph or Dave Roof might be better suited for that subject. I agree I would love to add an AH-1G in that paint scheme to my collection, especially the large scales.

Floyd

Just piggy backing here, were these AH-1's painted in a standard FS color, or were they done using a "home brewed" mixture like the OH-58's?

Regards,

Murph

Murph,

The Squadron Walk Around on the AH-1 says that the ODS AH-1Fs were finished in 33717 'Sand'. It doesn't specify whether this was an off the shelf paint or home brewed mix.

Cheers,

Alby