Hi guys,

Being a part of this gb (but lacking my sig cuz of size restrictions), and having been too busy to build anything at the moment, I shall finally post this:

For the GB I'll be building an F-14A from VF-154 during OIF

I'll be using:

Hasegawa 1/48 F-14A 'LANTIRN'

Avionix F-14B Bombcat Cockpit set

Avionix Bombcat Conversion-Actually only whatever I need, as the LANTIRN kit covers most of it-inaccurate though they may be

Aires Wheel wells (maybe minus the nose gear well as I seem to have destroyed some of it)

FTD 1/48 Black Knights Last Combat Cruise

Hasegawa Weapons

At the moment the scheme might be NF103 or NF107.

Actual loadout has yet to be determined, but will follow the loadout suggestions on the decal sheet:

NF103, if built, will have 1-AIM-9, 1-AIM-54, 2-GBU-16, LANTIRN

NF107, if built, will have 1-AIM-9, 2/4xGBU-12, LANTIRN. (I'd put 4, but I don't have that many and I still have some other projects). I might mix a GBU-16 in there or just leave 2 GBU-12's off.

At the moment, no pictures yet, but I do have the cockpit nearly painted and some of the sub-assemblies done. I'll post some pictures when I'm done the cockpit.

Thanks for reading!

Benson

Edited by stealthy1
Hey Brian,

Do you have any reference pics of NF107? I'm in need of some refs. Some nice cockpit photos would be nice

Thanks,

Benson

Sorry bro, but I sure don't.

If you're currious about whether to TID or PTID the RIO's pit, PTID away!

Thanks anyway! I know to PTID, but my cockpit painting skills need some reference, plus some photos would be nice. But its just the typical A cockpit with Sparrowhawk and PTID right?

The F-14A didn't have the Sparrow/Hawk HUD. That was on the F-14B only.

As for refs, if you haven't gotten the DACO F-14 book, you need to.

If not, www.uscockpits.com has some great pics of the F-14's pit.

Hmm, according to the FTD sheet, it looks like VF-154 had the Sparrowhawk upgrade? Or is something wrong?

I'm not sure where you're looking at, but I've scoured over the instructions and it mentions nothing concerning the Sparrow/Hawk HUD.

The cockpits were upgraded A cockpit, so essentially the same as the B but without the sparrowhawk HUD as mentioned. Both 103 and 107 had PTID. You can use most of the Avionix B cockpit but definitely not the HUD/IP part.

If loading the GBU-16, I'd suggest staggering it with a 12. GBU-16 loadouts only weren't common. Not impossible, but I haven't seen one from VF-154.

Can't wait to see your progress!

-brian

Oh, I see. Brian, I was looking at the profiles and in the front IP cover, it looks like there's a HUD portion. I read it through, you are right, it doesn't actually mention SP HUD, my bad.

I'll remember to leave off the HUD portion. I guess I'll use that on my VF-213 builds.

Brian, do you have any VF-154 NF107 references?

• 2 weeks later...

Have done some work, but haven't had any pictures yet:

-Painted most of the cockpit, still need to finish the seats, decal them, and paint the IP covers

-Preliminary intake work, filled the ejector pin marks with putty, sprayed primer to check them

-Assembled the starboard wing, need to fill holes

-Sanded off the fwd fuse to fit BB pit

-Sanded off the wheel wells, still need to fit the port main well

-Assembled the two boat tail halves

-Assembled the two fuel tanks, still missing putty work on one

-Assembled the wing glove pylons, tried to paint the LANTIRN, but the paint didn't stick..need to strip and airbrush instead of brush (what do I use to take the paint off?)

-Assembled part of the nose landing gear, no paint yet

-Assembled the tails

I'll get some pics up once my camera works. I should be able to get them up once the cockpit is finished and the other wing is glued together. Hopefully by the end of next week I'll have the wheel wells fitted and glued, and the main fuselage is attached to the forward. I'll be taking a two to three week hiatus around the end of April for final exams. I should be able to get this done before June.

EDIT:

Quick update-got the camera out today. The macro shows ALL the errors.

DSCN1444.jpg

Rear Pit w/ PITD

DSCN1446.jpg

Overall shot, IP coamings are much lighter than it actually is, see below

DSCN1447.jpg

Initial paint of GRU-7A...don't really like it, the ref's say green belts, but I used Ghost Gray for the last ones, I like them better

DSCN1449.jpg

Sidewalls

DSCN1451.jpg

Second overall shot, without flash; the IP coamings are actually darker.

DSCN1452.jpg

One of the Intakes

DSCN1457.jpg

Front IP, it looks kinda messy but looks fine to the eye

DSCN1458.jpg

Test fit of wings, upper/lower fuse and top boat tail. Still need to fit the wheel wells.

Edited by stealthy1