Mig-21 MF Trumpeter 1/32

Hi friends,

as you see also in the W.I.P of my friend Girolamo, in Italy we are involved in a Mig Group Building, so I would like to share the progress also here with all of you.

I decided to buil a Mig-21 MF variant with some aftermarket sets to improve the model close to the real one. I find the very beautiful Black Box cokpit resin set, this is incredible, is the best and very accurate cockpit I' ve ever seen.............so I hope to don't do my worst to make it bad.... :jaw-dropping:

About the rest, just exteriro Eduard photoetched details and Contact resin wheels, because the quality of the basic kit is very good.

This is my first Mig (or Russian aircraft model) and also the first Trumpeter kit I building, so if you see something wrong please dont' esitate to give me suggestion or show errors to help me to do better.

I hope we can enjoy together as always even if we are so far.

Let' s start from the box......

Mig-21MF__1000_.jpg

As usual I start from the cockpit and I' dlike to improve the beautiful quality of the B.B cockpit by some small modification regtarding instrument panel.....

Mig-21MF__1005_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1006_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1007_.jpg

...but I realise an error in the back side wall of the cockpit......the pics show you exactly what.....

Mig-21MF__1009_.jpg

The angle of back side wall is total vertical respect fuselage shape.......so the medicine cames....from my little assistant....

Mig-21MF__1010_.jpg

et voilàt......the solution is also simple..

Mig-21MF__1011_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1012_.jpg

The Mr.surfacer 1000 primer closed the cockpit session.

Mig-21MF__1018_.jpg

That's all about modifications on the cockpit, but since the inside canopy frames will be painted in the same color of the cockpit I start to prepare also canopy before painting.

Edited by starflyer

Infact now you can see about front canopy masking....

Mig-21MF__1019_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1020_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1021_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1023_.jpg

A very important missing detail is the realism of the periscope on the top of the main canopy, so I modified the original provide by Trumpeter...

Mig-21MF__1024_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1025_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1026_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1027_.jpg

I'm sorry but I loose the pics of main canopy during modification, I can say just that add several strachbuilt details on the frames and mask carefully.

That's all for now, but soon I will be glad to show the cockpit and canopy painted.....by the strange Russian Turquoise.

Ciao

Davide,

I like the way you have shown the way you have started this Model...Step by step...It is really good to follow and read it as you post your progress in this way..

By the way,Great neat start to the MiG 21..One of MY favorites and look forward to seeing more..

HOLMES. :rofl:

Uhhh Splendore is back with another gorgeous build!!!!!

cant wait for the next update!

your work is always superbly inspiring and cant wait to see how you'll tackle your first trumpy kit....you're gonna have fun LOL LOL!!!!

Ciaooo

:salute:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again and thank for your positive comments,

today I like to show the cockpit painted, I used personal acrilyc misture for the tipycal tourquoise of Russian 70's aircraft....lets go to see....

Mig-21MF__1043_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1047_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1049_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1045_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1042_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1041_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1040_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1039_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1035_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1034_.jpg

About the tourquoise you can play between these following colours...........

Mig-21MF__1001_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1029_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1030_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1031_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1036_.jpg

At the end I realize to forget the tipycal white line in the middel of the instrument panel.....Mig is not a Mig without it!

Mig-21MF__1093_.jpg

In the next step I "play" with wheel bays,

at first, eliminating the surface details from Trumpeter, sincerly they are quite well, but you know......I don't enjoy if I don't make modelling more "nightmare"......so I replicate more tridimensional effect of details by several stuff.....lot caming from mother board of my old PC.

Mig-21MF__1075_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1079_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1095_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1094_.jpg

Of corse a grey primer needed!!...

Mig-21MF__1098_.jpg

..........and then Vallejo colours help me to do the rest.....

Mig-21MF__1099_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1100_.jpg

I still not completely satisfyed without light oil wash......

Mig-21MF__1101_.jpg

..........Now just a light grey drybrush on the raised surfaces....making more volume effects...

Mig-21MF__1102_.jpg

Now I like it!

Mig-21MF__1103_.jpg

Some details before close it forever inside fuselage.......

Mig-21MF__1104_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1105_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1106_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1107_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1109_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1110_.jpg

Everithing fit quite well inside fuselage except the front bay, look at this photo:

Mig-21MF__1124_.jpg

Is not a bug problem, but the edge of the bay need to be corrected to follow the fuselage section profile.....

Mig-21MF__1125_.jpg

Now perfect!!

Mig-21MF__1126_.jpg

In the next step.....I will fight the engine nozzle and last stage section.....of the Tumansky engine..... :salute:

Edited by starflyer

I'm diggin this one!

I have always wanted to build this kit. I love what you did to make that black box set fit in there -great stuff. Also the wells look fantastic.

Keep up the great work - look forward to seeing this one done.

Frank

Wow Davide that is looking spectacular!

I have questions about the oil wash you used in the gear wells. The effect looks so nice and subtle.

What do you thin your oils with for the wash?

I'm guessing that Vallejo paints are acrylics so you don't need to protect the paint with Future or anything? I might have to try them. I've grown up with Testors Model Master enamels and have been resistant to change...

Looking forward to more progress!

:(