Mig-21 MF Trumpeter 1/32

Going on about the tail, I like to show the parachute box open so, I detailed as I can the doors.....even if the Eduard photoetched are not so exactly as the real one......

Friend of mine (now him is past away :P ) one time suggested to use transitor pins as an easy way to do fixing of small panel or flaps or similar.....thank you Franco for your very good idea!! :cheers:

Mig-21MF__1167_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1168_.jpg

That' all for today friends , I hope in your helpful comments as always :salute:

Edited by starflyer

The time of painting coming close day by day and I still not have Idea about my Mig-21 subject......at the beginning I was thinking about a heavy weathered Bulgarian MF, but I couldn't find pics of it or color profile. Instead I found an actractive subjec from Iraqui, in particular the following one......I scanned pic from "Osprey Arabic Mi19 and Mig 21 units in combat" book and the other view from courtesy of www.aci.org website ( I hope not violating copyright )

Mig-21_MF_IRAK.jpg

iraf_mig-21mf_681_002.jpg

just because I have a question: Does some one know colors reference for this airplane??

Hi David.

What you are doing is really fantastic and a very great job. I admire your work and will follw your progres with this.

Regards from the Netherlands

Henk

I saw your work indeed :woot.gif::rolleyes: Henk.......I like it very much!!! So, who admire who??? :lol: :beer4:

Edited by starflyer
Hi again and thank for your positive comments,

today I like to show the cockpit painted, I used personal acrilyc misture for the tipycal tourquoise of Russian 70's aircraft....lets go to see....

Mig-21MF__1043_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1047_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1049_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1045_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1042_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1041_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1040_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1039_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1035_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1034_.jpg

WOW!! I'm really stunned! Very deft paint work! That 'pit looks awesome, just like a real one!

Congrats, great work!

Happy modelling!

Alexander.

:thumbsup:

So I "jump" on the tail and rudder.....first a wrong panel, probably the Trumpter copy tail of UM version of Mig-21 :salute:

Mig-21MF__1152_-1.jpg

Davide,

there's an additional protuberance on the 'rhomb' on many MiG-21MFs... including Iraqi ones. Check the pictures I sent you yesterday, it's an easy addition.

Also that antenna is flat on the central 'circle' and slopes at the front and back ends, if I'm not mistaken.

This is a bis but you get the idea. I have more pictures if you need them.

Hope this helps,

Bone

Edited by Bonehammer73

Great work, and fantastic tip on the jet pipe, I have the Eagle Strike decal sheet 32032, and for the green, which is lighter than the profile you have, it gives FS 34226, tan FS 22649, light blue FS 25526.

Hope this helps, and looking forward to more, cheers!

Hi again ARC'ers,

today some progress on the MiG.....I am going on to take care of fuselage details.

I realize a little mistakes about panel lines, in particular, a long line on the both sides of fuselage......as you see I marked in red the kit line (wrong) and draw by pencil the new one in a correct position....

Mig-21MF__1210_.jpg

After rescribing, I see better matching with the original shape of this bird....

Mig-21MF__1211_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1212_.jpg

Another little difference is about inspection panel on the right side......the square panel from the kit is no of an MF version (or totally fantasy), the correct one must be oval and longer....

Mig-21MF__1197_.jpg

In the back position of fuselage, the many air inlet ducts must be improve in detail.....

Mig-21MF__1218_.jpg

To putty this delicate points I like to use Mr. dissolved putty by Gunze, is very easy to have smooth surfaces by a cotton fioc wet by Tamya enamel diluent.

I gently brush the putty with the cotton fioc just after 2 minutes of the application and I go on until the surface became smooth. Don't be afraid if you put lot of diluent, it helps the work.

Mig-21MF__1213_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1214_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1215_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1216_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1217_.jpg

At the end very light sanding by 1500 grit will transform the joint perfectly.

Edited by starflyer

As suggested by "Bonehammer73" on the tail is necessary put the dielectric ont the both side.....

Mig-21MF__1198_.jpg

Now is the cannon time.....just more detailing work needed....very easy...

Mig-21MF__1181_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1182_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1190_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1189_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1192_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1193_.jpg

The Joint of tail on the fusolage is quite perfect, just little putty to replicate the round surfaces like the original...

Mig-21MF__1194_.jpg

At this point fuselage and tail are done (probably)....and I step up to the wings, first the stabilator.....Trumpeter made too much thinkness, so a very heavy work of sanding must be done, a little trick is to fix a biadesive to help the grip on the finger...

Mig-21MF__1187_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1188_.jpg

Edited by starflyer