Mig-21 MF Trumpeter 1/32

Wow Davide that is looking spectacular!

I have questions about the oil wash you used in the gear wells. The effect looks so nice and subtle.

What do you thin your oils with for the wash?

I'm guessing that Vallejo paints are acrylics so you don't need to protect the paint with Future or anything? I might have to try them. I've grown up with Testors Model Master enamels and have been resistant to change...

Looking forward to more progress!

:D

Thank you to everybody for positive comments, I like to share opinion and building here even if normally I publish my models on an Italian website, but I learn lot from ARC people about modelling, technique, strachbuilding etc.....because many of you are great masters, so I really appreciate your comment in my modest WIP topics.

I'd like to answer about the "Zactoquestions":

I learned from experience that some solvent specific for oil are not so aggressive on common model paint we use on the models, with big surprise, I discover that these solvents can be used directly on the enamel paint (without future coat) normally I use on my models.

Of corse these solvent absolutely doesn't damage acrilic, vinylic paint (for example Tamiya, Gunze, Future, Vallejo)

Chris, I don't know if in United States you could find the same brand I use for thinning oil wash but I am glad to give you the link in English about the auxiliary products for artist oil I use http://www.maimeri.it/FineArts/colorprod.asp?mnu=0701

If you look at the list of products, you see the Cod. 600 "ODOURLESS THINNER" and Cod. 646 "OILY THINNER", that's are the solvents I use (both 50%) to thin the oil whas in the wheel bays you see on the Mig-21.

If you like Chris, you can see a step by step about (non selective) washing I did on my F16 at page 9 of the following link: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....5333&st=160 you will see the "thinner in action" :-)

About Vallejo color, they are Vinylic and you should try it because they are fantastic for small details, drybrushing and of corse they resist also to petrol in case....:-) I learned to use Vallejo from figures modeller, and after a small period I needed to learn how handle Vallejo, I change very easily the way I model cockpit and whell bays on my models, and of corse the quality automaticly grown up.

About the general model painting I prefer go on by the enamel....but this is a different story.......

I hope I gave you all the information you need, in case ask me more friend.

Have nice modelling.

Ciao

Edited by starflyer

Tumansky.....what a passion!

So.....that's what about the Tumansky "tube".....at first my little assistant suggest me to apply a smoot surface inside the "tube" to hide the bad things......ok, let's go to work while I take a cup of tea....:-)

Mig-21MF__1050_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1051_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1052_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1053_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1054_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1055_.jpg

Hey!!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING????? :thumbsup: :) :)

It is absolutely unreal .....did you ever check almost one of the photos of original Tumansky engine?????

Stop it and let's go to do together in the right way....first the nozzle...

Mig-21MF__1063_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1064_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1065_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1066_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1067_.jpg

Is better to check if the external details of the nozzle will be a problem in the tight hole of afterburner section......I have a strange instinct...

Mig-21MF__1070_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1068_.jpg

In fact there is no space for all the details.....so is better to avoid the external parts, even because they are invisible at the end.

In this case I like to put the delicate nozzle in a bath of future, it will be "coated" and mor strong, but without miss the good details on surfaces....

Mig-21MF__1071_.jpg

.....and now the real thrill.....I copy idea from another guy saw on a modelling forum, but using material that I have in my laboratory: old beauty cream (aluminium) tube; cotton fioc; and a big needle...

Mig-21MF__1084_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1085_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1086_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1087_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1088_.jpg

Edited by starflyer

Hi ARC'ers,

going on building, I jump to small details needed before to close the fuselage, at first the auxiliary air inlet on the side of cockpit area.

Thinkness of plastic is visible and absolutely not realistic...............

Mig-21MF__1111_-1.jpg

So I decided to "play" inside "the wall" to reduce thikness.....

Mig-21MF__1113_-1.jpg

Mig-21MF__1114_-1.jpg

Now I feel better....

Mig-21MF__1112_-1.jpg

Photoetched from "uncle Eduard" do the rest..........

Mig-21MF__1116_-1.jpg

Mig-21MF__1115_-1.jpg

Also the air brake make me very satisfyed.....

Mig-21MF__1117_-1.jpg

About the radome nose, Trupeter provide two kind of nose, shorter (plastic) and longer (metal)...........I see in lot of photos the radome of MF versione is retracted in the "short" position, very rarely I see the nose totally in forward position, that's why I choose to install the "shorter" plastic nose.

Mig-21MF__1128_.jpg

but.....I don't like the inside area around the cone, this part is well visibile from outside even the nose in mounted in the correct position......I am trying the way to solve the problem by internal "coat" of plasticard......but I still not totally satisfied, because it will be better to follow insctruction from Trumpeter to apply the nose before closing fuselage, but this make me a big limit for a very good finishing of internal side.......so I am vaiting for inspiration how to do.....but mean time I try the firs way.....check it out!

Mig-21MF__1129_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1130_.jpg

Edited by starflyer
I learned from experience that some solvent specific for oil are not so aggressive on common model paint we use on the models, with big surprise, I discover that these solvents can be used directly on the enamel paint (without future coat) normally I use on my models.

Chris, I don't know if in United States you could find the same brand I use for thinning oil wash but I am glad to give you the link in English about the auxiliary products for artist oil I use http://www.maimeri.it/FineArts/colorprod.asp?mnu=0701

Thank you Davide!

Yes those are available in the US. I will be ordering them through DickBlick.com

So for a wash like the gear wells you use the same ingredients as shown on your F-16 but just use less paint so it is thinner?

Looking forward to trying the technique. I just wish I had the time to build and paint a model...

:jaw-dropping:

Thank you Davide!

Yes those are available in the US. I will be ordering them through DickBlick.com

So for a wash like the gear wells you use the same ingredients as shown on your F-16 but just use less paint so it is thinner?

Looking forward to trying the technique. I just wish I had the time to build and paint a model...

B)

Yes Chris, I use 5% oil color and 45% specific thinner and 45% Oily solvent And apply gently in one precise point of the part, the wash "run" around alone and I put more when needed. After few hours I clean (if necessary) to remove the excess by a clean soft paper or cotton fioc.

Great job, when I see all these details that I'm not able to do on my Bulgarian MIG-21 in 1/72 scale......

More pics more pics....please.

Bye.

:-) Thank everybody for comments.....pics will arrive soon :-)

Edited by starflyer

Not only you work fast, but effective and very nicely detailed!

I love this thread, good, clear pictures, with really nice step by step and detailed instructions. I will definitely follow this one.

Ciao again guys,

during the week end I worked lot on the fuselage.......I was totally unsatisfied about the main ari inlet on the nose of the aircraft, so I decided to rebuild again the internal sidewall because it was not precise enough and visible form outside.

In fact, I destroyed precedent job and redid again........

Mig-21MF__1133_.jpg

As you see I fix a "cross" deep indisde the air inlet as a support for the radome cone. The scope of this modification is because I would like install the nose cone after painting of the whole model in order to have more space and possibility to work "inside" air inlet and finish better as I can the wall surfaces.

In fact I do something quite better then before......check

Mig-21MF__1134_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1135_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1136_.jpg

After the sanding.....

Mig-21MF__1148_.jpg

Now I am more satisfied and I can give more attention to the other "hole" in the back....just a couple or ring ws missing...

Mig-21MF__1137_.jpg

And finally I can glue togeter fuselage.....I was totally impressed from precision of joint, no putty believe me....check!!!! :salute: Thank you Trumpy!!

Mig-21MF__1162_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1163_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1165_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1166_.jpg

Is the first time I put togheter a kit without putty in my life......but I heard not all the kit from Trumpeter are so nice.

Since was so easy the fuselage "union", I go on happy and faster.....add some detail on the fuselage.....

Very small problem to the avionics cover, but I have friend that solve this kind of things...

Mig-21MF__1138_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1139_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1140_.jpg

A very interesting detail is missing in the kit.....check the pics...

Mig-21MF__1141_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1142_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1143_-1.jpg

Mig-21MF__1144_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1145_.jpg

Going on the assembly, before some details need to be painted in advance....

Mig-21MF__1150_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1151_.jpg

Edited by starflyer

Another small but well visibile detail was missing, I solve that by strachbuilt bye evergreen rod....

Mig-21MF__1161_.jpg

At this point I payed attention to the front canopy, but was enough a little bit of Mr dissolved putty to solve problem...

Mig-21MF__1146_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1171_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1172_.jpg

After the major detail assembly, I take care just some missing exterior details on the fuselage.....check..

Mig-21MF__1159_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1160_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1169_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1174_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1170_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1173_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1180_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1178_.jpg

Fuselage is almost complete, probably I will rescribe a couple of panel lines because are wrong (I need to be sure first!!:-))

So I "jump" on the tail and rudder.....first a wrong panel, probably the Trumpter copy tail of UM version of Mig-21 :salute:

Mig-21MF__1152_-1.jpg

Mig-21MF__1154_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1155_.jpg

Mig-21MF__1156_.jpg

On the other side this panel doesn't exhsist, so I cancel by instant glue....

Mig-21MF__1153_-1.jpg

Another small detail and tail is OK!!

Mig-21MF__1158_.jpg

Edited by starflyer