Decal time

Main markings in place:

bf109E1_66_.JPG

bf109E1_67_.JPG

And main wing colours blended together:

bf109E1_68_.JPG

Yellow is quite fragile, so I will do the blending in the end.

Main markings will be faded later. For now, time to do some mottling spray around the markings.

Have an excellent week folks! Cheers! :rolleyes:

Fantastic :jaw-dropping:

I really like also the different way you approach the paintjob...you mottle after decals have been applied, very interesting!!!

Well, I can only wait for the next update!!!

Cheers

:salute:

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, you are all fantastic! Many thanks for your supperb feedback.

Time for an update now, but please, if your heart is weak, don't read and move along. Sometimes, the path from place "A" to place "B" is not a straight line as we wish

Time to do some mottling now, and by the way, why did I placed the decals first? Well, Lynn Ritger presented me this photograph of the real subject, also visible in the book Jagdwaffe - Strike in the Balkans but not as large:

bf109E1_70_.jpg

Clearly the mottling was done AFTER the main markings were in place. Therefore I decided to do the same way.

A little masking fluid and a steady hand are all that is needed:

bf109E1_71_.jpg

bf109E1_72_.jpg

And then the mottling:

bf109E1_73_.jpg

Also some light stains already in place:

bf109E1_74_.jpg

Pretty easy to do, right? :-)

Well, by the time I lifted the masks, one of the decals was pulled away. Probably my fault, I may not have sprayed localized varnish in that marking as I did in the others:

bf109E1_75_.jpg

So, I printed some decals with bars. My friends like to call these "Andresen Decals" :lol: Each time an issue occurs, these decals arrive to save messes.

bf109E1_88_.jpg

You may note an unusual number of bars to replace a single one. All these bars seem identical but they are not. Each pair is 0,1mm bigger both in length and height than the previous one. I made this to match completely the original decal, as measurements with a 0,1mm are hard to get:

By these moments, a long time friend asked me: "Why did you choose so ugly markings?" And I replied "Ugly?, for me they are pretty beautiful". And then he told me again "Have you ever seen the starboard side of this same plane? Check the previous volume of the Jagdwaffe Series"

So I did! I almost collapsed when I saw the photograph:

bf109E1_89_.jpg

An awful paintjob! And I thought mine was so good looking:

bf109E1_76_.jpg

So!!! What could I do now! I don't have the guts to do such the mess they did in my own model! Simultaneously this guy and others alerted me there was the missing squadron insignia in both sides just bellow the cockpit. Even if there is a photograph in the mentioned "Strike in the Balkans" showing the aircraft without this insignia.

Well ... I waited some days until I decided what to do next! I really wanted a yellow nosed Emil ... but I didn't want a messy painted Emil.

Therefore (and I warned you!!!) I disassembled the model and I sanded away the fuselage:

bf109E1_77_.jpg

All detail was gone too:

bf109E1_78_.jpg

Why no oven cleaner? Simply because I didn't wanted to paint once again the engine, the cockpit and the complete wing :lol: So ... old fashioned coarse sandpaper did the job!

After hand scribing, fuselage was attached once again to ... a painted wing!

bf109E1_78_.jpg

And everything was ready again to the painting job:

bf109E1_80_.jpg

Priming for the second time:

bf109E1_81_.jpg

But some truly nasty areas to blend completely:

bf109E1_82_.jpg

Now the basic coat is in place once again, and the wing tips completely restored:

bf109E1_83_.jpg

bf109E1_84_.jpg

And a second mottling pattern was created. This time, the scheme I chose, it is clearly once again in the book "Strike in the Balkans" that this mottling job does not contour the main markings. So this second time it was a conventional painting task:

bf109E1_85_.jpg

bf109E1_86_.jpg

Now the main decals in place:

bf109E1_87_.jpg

Coincidently, these were the markings I wanted to do first. I only chose the first ones because this "Yellow 12" will need a later windscreen. And this is a part not available in this box of the Eduard Emil.

Dang! A Yellow nosed Emil is so pretty good looking: and this one with a yellow tail looks stunningly good!

bf109E1_90_.JPG

bf109E1_91_.JPG

bf109E1_92_.JPG

At last! Ready to do the final steps! :lol:

bf109E1_93_.JPG

And ready to fly!

bf109E1_94_.JPG

I ordered an inexpensive vacuum formed Squadron Canopy designed for the Hasegawa kit. I'll wait a little to see if it fits this Eduard Model. If not, I'll wait until the appearance of the Eduard E7. But for now, time to weather a little bit this model and time too to finish everything ... except that late canopy windscreen!

Cheers friends! Isn’t modelling wonderful: You buy one kit ... you build it twice! :D

niiiiiice friends =)

Beautiful paintjob, Nuno! Looks very realistic!

The only thing which strucks me is the ailerons. The imitation of fabric looks absolutely awful! I know this is not your fault but Eduard's, so no blame on you =) But, may be .. although it might be too late.. you could have at least sand those "ribs" done. Looks unrealistic and makes overall impression of the model less attractive.

Cheers!

Sergey

Guys, really thanks for your astonishing motivation! You are really remarkable! Thank you, thank you for your feed back!

May I just give Sergey my thoughts too:

niiiiiice friends =)

Beautiful paintjob, Nuno! Looks very realistic!

The only thing which strucks me is the ailerons. The imitation of fabric looks absolutely awful! I know this is not your fault but Eduard's, so no blame on you =) But, may be .. although it might be too late.. you could have at least sand those "ribs" done. Looks unrealistic and makes overall impression of the model less attractive.

Cheers!

Sergey

You are right Sergey. I placed several coats of thick primmer to minimize the engravings of the ailerons to tone down the effect. But I'm still not completely happy with them. I may cut them and make new pieces myself. I have several Eduard kits in my bench to do, so it may be now the right time. Thanks for your words!

In the meantime, as I chose to do an E1 version with an E4 frontal canopy fitted, I purchased a Squadron Signal clear vacuum canopy. It fits:

bf109E1_95_.JPG

Frontal gun cover ARC doesn’t shape well, but who cares! I have mine ready to place there! It’s time now to chop this canopy in four pieces.

See you guys! And trully many thanks for your inspiring words!

• 3 weeks later...