1/32 Tamiya F-14B, VF-101 Grim Reapers

Your model really looks wonderful, and I will definitely give your weathering methods a try on my F-14 when I build it. I wonder if this same method could be used with SEA dark green/medium green/tan? It'd be fun to experiment. Thanks for the inspiration!

Scott Wilson

Thanks Scott for the kind words- and also the tip on the lights. All the pics I have of those lights are from a distance, which makes it hard to tell the color. I learn something new almost every day.

You can use the salt weathering on almost any color. Although I haven't tried it on green yet, I have done it on lighter shades of grey, like this F-4J.....

F-4-J-24.jpg

and a more subtle weathering job, on this F-16CJ....

F16-7.jpg

The cool thing about salt weathering is that you can control how much you want to discolor paint, so I use it on every one of my builds now. Unless I'm making a pristine Blue Angel F-18, my jets are always a bit dirty.

Thanks Scott for the kind words- and also the tip on the lights. All the pics I have of those lights are from a distance, which makes it hard to tell the color. I learn something new almost every day.

(snip)

The cool thing about salt weathering is that you can control how much you want to discolor paint, so I use it on every one of my builds now. Unless I'm making a pristine Blue Angel F-18, my jets are always a bit dirty.

Glad to help. Funny you mention "pristine Blue Angels", one of them (two seater, #7 I believe) was on static display for one day at EAA Oshkosh a few years ago, and it was anything but pristine!! The paint on top was faded in blotches very similar to your salt weathering, there were some oil and grease streaks from flight control hinges and a few panel fasteners, and small patches of paint were missing on the wing and tail leading edges and from some panel fasteners. I was very surprised at just how poorly finished the airplane was. I used to visit the Thunderbirds hangar at Nellis frequently in the early 80s when I was stationed at George AFB, CA, and I never saw their T-38s or F-16s looking like that!

Scott Wilson

I used to visit the Thunderbirds hangar at Nellis frequently in the early 80s when I was stationed at George AFB, CA, and I never saw their T-38s or F-16s looking like that!

Scott Wilson

It must be a Navy thing. The clean look of the Thunderbirds continues today. Here's a few pics of T-Bird #1 at Nellis last year. Not even my car looks this clean and shiny after a fresh wax job!....

TBird1.jpg

TBird2.jpg

Even the landing gear is spotless....

TBird3.jpg

It must be a Navy thing. The clean look of the Thunderbirds continues today. Here's a few pics of T-Bird #1 at Nellis last year. Not even my car looks this clean and shiny after a fresh wax job!....

Check out this Blue Angels photo, you'll see what I mean. Faded paint, grease streak on #2's right wing...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Navy/...ccb0ad1e8749446

So, I've tried a couple times to come up with something... I can't. I'm speechless. Amazing work good Sir! Chuck, this build is chalk full of amazing work, excellent tips on how to make the model look more like the aircraft, and your skills good Sir... what can be said. Amazing work! Thank you so much for sharing.

So, I've tried a couple times to come up with something... I can't. I'm speechless. Amazing work good Sir! Chuck, this build is chalk full of amazing work, excellent tips on how to make the model look more like the aircraft, and your skills good Sir... what can be said. Amazing work! Thank you so much for sharing.

Wow Mark, I'm very flattered! One thing I need to get a better handle on is photographing my models. Here's a better attempt at shots from the front, using a tripod and long exposure. I should have done this earlier!

Finished1.jpg

Finished2.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...