Is an IL-96 an IL-86 with winglets?

The only thing they two have in common is the basic fuselage shape. The entire wing is completely different, as of course are the engines. In 1/144 you could probably get away with using the Il-86 landing gear.

J

I'd love to get a ride in an IL-96 someday for comparison. Man, the -86 was loud. Especially in full reverse. Aeroflot was a pip in those days - the lavs had one of those thin wooden accordion-folding door thingies you usually find on closets as the door, and the bowl and seat were bare steel metal. Know how cold that is on your ***? Don't ask, man.

Man, o man! Those were good old days - you are standing on tarmack waiting to be allowid to go inside of IL-86 in Moscow's Domodedovo airport, in quite cold winter night, but boarding is delayed a little, then delayed once more and next thing you know - you got pneumonia (I got mine this way). But plane itself was comfortable and did not requre any stair to board passangers - they were part of airframe. Plus, you did not hear engine's roar from inside. It was roomy, stable in flight and back then they allowed you to smoke in plane.

But Chris, sorry, I cannot tell you exact difference between IL-86 and -96, but I think other guys already answered.

Man, o man! Those were good old days - you are standing on tarmack waiting to be allowid to go inside of IL-86 in Moscow's Domodedovo airport, in quite cold winter night, but boarding is delayed a little, then delayed once more and next thing you know - you got pneumonia (I got mine this way). But plane itself was comfortable and did not requre any stair to board passangers - they were part of airframe. Plus, you did not hear engine's roar from inside. It was roomy, stable in flight and back then they allowed you to smoke in plane.

But Chris, sorry, I cannot tell you exact difference between IL-86 and -96, but I think other guys already answered.

Mate, I grew up in the tropics. Now live in Japan that has hot summers and cold winters. But when I think about when I am feeling cold he and Japan, and wish I was home in Australia. I just need to see a picture of Moscow on TV to give me pneumonia, and then I dont feel so bad...

ps' I am going to try and get my hands on an IL-96. I just love the winglets on that thing...

Chris

I flew in an Aeroflot Il-86 once - and I remember the roominess inside the fuselage - it was like a cathedral !!!

The ride was rock-solid - but it was very disconcerting when the passengers all applauded when we landed !!! :woot.gif:

I have since discovered on many other flights in Russia that this is normal practice to applaud the crew for a safe flight - although recently I noticed that the tradition is waning.

A recent flight in a Tu-154M from Anapa to Moscow landed in silence - not a clap from anyone. :crying2:

It didn't happen on my flight, but apparently in Soviet times, the passengers took their own bagagge aboard and entered the aircraft via the built-in airstairs.

You then took your baggage and placed it in the hold - before going up the stairs to the passenger cabin.

Sounds like a great idea to use these days - no lost luggage and increased security (no unaccompanied baggage)!!!

Ken

Chris;

I hope you're not running one of those kerosene heaters the Japanese like so much. I tried explaining to them that kerosene heaters are illegal in New York State because of their tendency to explode and burn buildings down. But you know what the Japanese are like - once they latch on to an idea, they just don't let go. So I thanked them, then chucked the kero heaters in the closet and got a couple electric ones.

If you really get desperate, I might consider selling you my IL-96 - which is kinda started, but includes the BraZ landing gear and a very nice Brasil Decals Aeroflot decal sheet. Or better yet, trading you mine... you wouldn't happen to have a Book Off/Hard Off near you, wouldja?

Edited by ReiRei0

My Aeroflot flights were:

Moscow-Sochi: IL-86

Sochi-Simferopol: Tu-154

Simferopol-Kiev: Tu-154

Kiev-Donetsk on a train

Donetsk-Leningrad: Yak-42

Leningrad-Helsinki on a train

We got on the IL-86 at SVO, so we had a jetway when we got on, and they brought stairs out when we got off at Sochi - so I never got to use the IL-86's internal stairs. You know the DC-9/MD-80s have those too, right? Mostly they're deactivated, but they're there.

Ken: Does Donetsk still smell like coal dust, sweat, and old cigarette smoke?

Edited by ReiRei0
Chris;

I hope you're not running one of those kerosene heaters the Japanese like so much. I tried explaining to them that kerosene heaters are illegal in New York State because of their tendency to explode and burn buildings down. But you know what the Japanese are like - once they latch on to an idea, they just don't let go. So I thanked them, then chucked the kero heaters in the closet and got a couple electric ones.

If you really get desperate, I might consider selling you my IL-96 - which is kinda started, but includes the BraZ landing gear and a very nice Brasil Decals Aeroflot decal sheet. Or better yet, trading you mine... you wouldn't happen to have a Book Off/Hard Off near you, wouldja?

No mate... All reverse cycle air-con in my place..

In fact. Today was the warmest day we have had this year and the Sakura (my daughters name) has started to bloom here in Kyushu...

Hello Chris.

The Il-96 sure is a nice jet eh?

If only Revell would have the decency to make a kit for us.

The Eastern Express kit is not that bad, at least I don't think so.

Its sort of rough, not much surface detail, but it looks like an Il-96 to me.

I have heard that EE stopped making those kits, but there are always a few on eBay. Unless you know someone in Russia or eastern Europe, it is your best chance of finding a Il-96 kit. Blerio11, who sells Il-96's on eBay, is where I bought mine from. Good seller, so if you need to use eBay, I can say that he is a good seller.

This pic from AMG should show the changes between the Il-86 and 96, if anyone is interested.

Il86-96.jpg

Chris;

Don't forget today's English lesson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLvGu3WiiQ8

P.S. You chose well. Sakura is on the short list of names I'd choose if I ever had a daughter, along with Ami (for its double meaning in Japanese and Latin).

Ha ha, love the vid!

Yes, my wife chose the name. Although, Sakura is currently 6 going on 16..

Depends on which EE IL-96 kit, actually. The IL-96-300 "Rossiya" kit at least does not, so you have to buy the BraZ gear and chop holes in the fuselage/wings yourself. I've heard that other boxings are different. The IL-96-400 and IL-96M, for example, have gear and a completely new fuselage to boot.