Me410 A-1: To The Finish! 11/7/10

Great tutorial yet again Chuk. If you would humor a dumb question - do you use specific colors depending on what the base color is? Or do you just let it rip and grab a handful of random colors? Only reason I ask is I am a poor judge of color, and have no concept of complimentary colors. Painting has always been my Waterloo.

Cheers

Mike

You feel you don't have enough skill to put random dots of oil paint on a model and blend them in?

I'd suggest throwing out ideas of developing this skill first or that skill first. Just build models and have fun. Most importantly don't care about what they look like, so far as in taking risks etc. I just mean have fun and don't take it too seriously! ;)

thanks for the boost and I do have fun when building.... i am happy to take a risk and do have a dodgy spit that I am going to coat and then play with (I have a sctarchbuilt gun bay I need to dirty up at somepoint)..... am sure I will get there in the end and will have fun getting messy in the process

Whoa! Thanks, guys! I think this post has made a bigger impact than most- hurray! The dots seem so counter-intuitive but result in such an easy, effective change in the appearance of the model.

Thommo- I use an old Canon SD800, with a digital macro and steadicam, I can shoot these pics one-handed under an OttLight. That's all- simple is better! I adjust the Levels in Photoshop, and do the drawing and annotation on my Wacom Cintiq 21UX tablet.

Robw- glad you'll give it a whirl- you're only young once, I always say! ;D Now, building a minigun- that sounds like fun!

Mike, my friend, it really comes down to eliminating colors that won't work. I stayed away from bright yellow and red over the greys- but they would work over green or olive. Drop me a note if you have ever have a question.

Now- I have a question for all of you. My vac master is clean, and I could make a smooth canopy and paint the frames over a smooth vac. OR- I could add some framework to the master, and have raised frames on my vac canopy. Your opinions will be valued- thanks!

chuk

Hi Chuk,

Thanks for taking the time to detail the spot colour technique. It certainly adds subtle visual interest to the paint stages.

Your tutorial answered a number of questions and also explained where I went wrong when I tried it so thanks for that. Next time I have a go I'll be better prepared.

On to your question. What did the canopy of the actual aircraft look like? Was the glazing flush with the edge of the framework or did it sit within the metal frame showing defined edges?

If the actual aircraft had flush glazing then a smooth canopy and masked paintwork would look best. If the glazing was ftted within the metal canopy framing leaving raised edges then another technique will look better.

Have you considered forming a smooth canopy and then adding strips of painted decal or painted thin plastic strip for the framework? The reason I ask is that pulling even thin clear material over a master with raised detail can often soften the edges of the raised detail and make them round shouldered rather than sharp, crisp and defined....... :whistle:

With Pfennig cracking the whip I'm sure you'll come up with an innovative solution. Let us know how you and die Mädchen (?) get on ok? :D

;)

Edited by geedubelyer
Now- I have a question for all of you. My vac master is clean, and I could make a smooth canopy and paint the frames over a smooth vac. OR- I could add some framework to the master, and have raised frames on my vac canopy. Your opinions will be valued- thanks!
Looking at pics of the real thing (http://www.bredow-web.de/Museum_Cosford/Me...0_hornisse.html), the framing looks relatively flush.

I think I'd go with the smooth canopy with painted frames, especially in 1/72.

As Guy mentioned, raised frames over a male pattern tend to get a little soft edged. If you do add frames to the pattern, keep them very sharp edged and use very thin plastic when you pull your vac.

A difficult alternative would be to make a female tool but the blisters on the rear sides would really complicate matters.

For fun in case you haven't seen it: http://www.preservedaxisaircraft.com/Luftw...10%20canopy.jpg

Are you going to have this ready for the Nats in Phoenix? I'm really looking forward to seeing it if you do! (and your Helldiver!!!)

:cheers:

Holy crap...awesome build, I love the step by step on the dot work...awesome.

Do you adjust the colors that you use for the dots based on the overall color of the subject (i.e. lighter for the dark backgrounds and darker ones for the light background)? You kind of answered my question in response to Mike, but I guess the question is do you have a particular basic palette based on the background and adjust after some testing or have you come to a point where you just developed the right combos? And, if so, care to share that knowledge?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks! I'm still plugging away, but summertime activities have cut into bench time big time. I've gone with Geeb and Xac's advice, and pulled a smooth canopy with no raised framing. Thanks, guys! It's trimmed, hatches are cut and temp tape framing is in place- hurray! I'm currently bending brass rod to fit the roll cage jig- that's coming along nicely. If nothing pops up to muddle my plans I'll be posting Sunday evening. Who--hoo!

Parche, I pick my filter palletes by excluding colors that would not work- and throwing everything else at the model. Bright red would not be good on a white base, for instance- pink, anyone? On brown it would work just fine warming up the base. If a color looks wrong you can gently wipe it off and try something different- it's a great technique for experimentation.

Stay tuned- and cheers!

chuk

Thanks for the update Chuk, good to hear things are progressing and can't wait for Sunday's post ... I'll get up extra early on Monday but I don't mind really, no ... really!

Might cause deep depression resulting in a divorce if nothing appeared mind you but I wouldn't want you to feel under any pressure to get the post on the board! I mean, it's only my mental health and marriage we're talking about here but, as I say, no pressure....

:monkeydance::woo:

Great progress and really enjoying this thread. A good tip when vacforming is to dust your master in a thin layer of talculm powder (or baby powder..I don't know what you call it in the states) This should help get rid of any imperfections and creates a nice smooth finish. Yours looks brill though and the framing is the dogs danglies.

AHA!!!.......there is a light shining thru....folks I do believe we might see the finished kit....soon. Looking good. Chuk..I'll be trying that future trick on a canopy I've just worked on and got the same cloudy lookl.

Wow, and I mean wow ... no wonder there's a gap between posts, I understand now - the sheer volume of work is incredible. Wonderful and entertaining explanations as always. Can't wait for the next episode (for that's what they really are ... episodes in a marvelous series).

Great stuff.

Obant.

:thumbsup::salute:

I know you make it look easy but I also know that you put in a lot of hard work in this and it shows with the

exact , minute details that you incorporate in to your TIMELESS. STUNNING BUILD...

You are SIR without a doubt ARE the most dedicated , tenacious devoted Modeler to the plug away at the model you build with

excitement and fervor....

I enjoy your threads very much....keep on Rocking...

AMAZING !!! :) :woo:

Oh, Yeah Hannah and Fritzi are looking cute today too... :wacko: :lol: