Me410 A-1: To The Finish! 11/7/10

Another Brilliant Post.

This is becoming embarassing Chukw, I've run out of words to describe your work. I'm going to have to round robin on this. Lets' start with "nice" and I'll work my way up.

Since I painted my Kate, I'm sold on the idea of painting markings. The only decals I used were the numbers on the tail. This is going to somewhat slow down my building, but the results are quite better.

I've already started on my next project....

Cheers and thanks for the update!!

-Al

Thanks, guys- sorry I had to hit and run last Sunday- I've been hoppin'!

Wingnut, Isaac- I spray undiluted Future in a couple of thin coats- no Windex is used, except to clean the airbrush. This weekend I'll do some black oversry on the fuselage crosses as per the real plane, then one more coat before oil paint wash is applied. :D

robw- you can't go wrong with some good Styrene rod- get some!

As for that %#%#%* canopy- I've going to make a resin cast of the CMK offering and correct the frames. Any suggestions for mold release and casting resin? I have some Alumilite resin, but Am wide open for your input. Thanks- and cheers!

chuk

My thanks, fellas!

Well, I attended the wedding of dear friends this weekend, and still had time to do a bit on the 410. Let's start this post with an image appropriate to our American holiday:

Lest_We_Forget.jpg

Me410_544.jpg

Me410_545.jpg

Me410_546.jpg

Me410_547.jpg

Me410_548.jpg

Chuk,

Wonderful as always !

Not picking, but I'm curious and learning, will the fingerprints on the fin and under the belly disappear with subsequent washes/covering?. I wasn't sure if one had to wear gloves at this stage and, you know, keep the surface as "sterile" as possible.

As they say, "always leave them wanting more" and I certainly can't wait for the "more" I know we're going to get :explode: .

Thanks again...

:jaw-dropping::soapbox:

This thread combines two of my favourite things,.....comic books and modelling.....I'm in hogs' heaven :coolio:

Superb work Chuk :worship:

I'm fascinated by the dotted oil paint colour filter technique that you use and find it looks very effective so would like to try it sometime. I have a couple of questions that you might be able to help with please?

The wings appear simple to do, just drag the brush in the line of airflow. The fuselage, nacelles etc, present a couple of thought provoking issues though.

One question is whether to drag the lines perpendicular to the ground or to the aircraft c/l? Since tail draggers sit at an angle, do you drag your filter down at a slight angle to represent streaking for an aircraft sitting on the deck or do you make the weathering appear vertical for an aircraft in flight?

I'm also having a bit of difficulty getting my head around what happens at the intersection between planes. If the brush stokes on the underside of the fuselage are running from front to back, how do you deal with the transition where the vertical strokes meet the horizontal strokes? In a similar vein, what do you do on the shoulders of nacelles where a similar issue occurs? I could use the benefit of your experience please buddy. :salute:

Keep up the stellar work Chuk :jaw-dropping:

:cheers:

I'm still here! Many thanks, guys- I've been on vacation for 10 days out of the last several weeks, and yes, I have an egg that needs some attention as well. Last weekend I just wasn't feeling up to snuff to working on the 410, so junk modeling won out. I did pour a new plaster canopy mold using a thinner plaster mix- so far I see no bubbles, just have to get out out of the vac. :woot.gif:

GeeDub, the first oil wash goes with the airflow- I try to find photo ref that shows the tricky areas, and barring that, I just try to pull the streak in a common-sense pattern. The dot-filter is really just smeared around- I try to leave no streaks with that. Lastly, rain-and-dust streaks are added with the model on it's gear to get the vertical flow right. Make sense?

Thanks for pointing out those prints, Obant- I've wiped 'em out (I think- better check again!) If not, I'll hit 'em with an overspray of the base color. Weathering can cover a real multitude of sins!

See you soon!

chuk

Have you considered doing a negative/female mould for vac-forming the canopy?

Make a master shape with all the exterior details, pour a mould (much like the inset picture in THIS PICTURE of yours), drill a couple of very fine holes into the mould (for pulling the air out) on the frames (the plastic won't pull into that) and vac-form your canopy from this.

The advantage is that the plastic will pull into the details (rather than over the details), so you'll have the crisp detail on the parts that will be visible later on and not on the inside.

Hope this makes some sense. :monkeydance: