Airmodel C-123T and Falcon C-2A

Well, we're halfway thru the group build, and now that it's warm outside, I can build!

First up, a few pics of where I'm at today:

THGB_1.jpg

C-123T shots:

THGB_2.jpg

THGB_3.jpg

THGB_4.jpg

C-2A shot:

THGB_5.jpg

On the C-2A, I'm using the cockpit, wings, tail and nacelles from the Testors-boxing of the Fujimi E-2C kit. This kit was built, oh, 15+ years ago, and never got painted... In fact, I gotta dunk the parts in Simple Green to get all the modeling clay off them (guess how I used to do nose weight?)

On the C-123T, I've cut the outboard nacelles from an old Italeri C-130 kit and spliced them into the Airmodel wing. I'm also going to use the forward nacelles from the same kit. Don't worry, I'm not scrapping a whole Herc for this - those wings and nacelles were "spares" when I got some replacements from Italeri. Waaaaay back in the day, my younger sis managed to break a couple of herc's, and I had to order replacement parts...

And for when painting comes along, here's my new toy for that:

DSCF0227.jpg

Glad to see a C-123 in the mix. I plan on building the same kit as a "B" version. I am watching this build to see what I am in for.....

BTW, what are the bulkheads for?

The bulkheads are for strength - the Airmodel plastic is too flimsy without them; I tried joining the fuselage halves without them, and if I looked at it funny, the fuselage joint cracked, even with reinforcing strips at the joints. Plus, they clean up a warping problem on the port fuselage half.

Another thing you'll want to watch out for: the nose profile is way to pointy. You'll need to build it up some and make it rounder to be correct. On mine, it's not as big a deal, because the 123T has the radome nose (started life as an HC-123B)

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update; thanks to the end of the school year, SWMBO and the kids are heading to the beach next week while I have to work... But that does mean free time to built in the evenings... :D

I have the C-123's cockpit built up; I've raided an old Airfrix herc for most of that. They Greyhound cockpit is halfway painted, and almost ready for installation.