Building a trebuchet :D

Hey guys, here's a project I thought I'd share.

Currently working on building a trebuchet I designed with 3 other engineering students. We based it off of plans we got from a guy in Norway, but it's scaled up with more power and more weight carrying capability.

Here's his trebuchet:

Now on to ours, here's the plans we roughly drew up:

TrebuchetDrawing2copy.jpg

You may notice that we nicknamed it the 'Fagerhaug' - our Norwegian's name was H. Fagerhaug so we thought in honor of his help...:salute:

So far, we're working on the base/frame that will ultimately have wheels and support everything else so we can wheel this baby around without having to carry it. (Frame itself at this point ready weighs about 40lbs, so add a 8 foot trebuchet and u have a very very heavy load)

Mar172009007.jpg

Framing done. Adding cross-braces.

Mar172009008.jpg

Cross-braces in place. Just about to pack things in for the day.

Mar172009010.jpg

Closeup of a joint.

Mar172009009.jpg

The two long, flat pieces of plywood you see in front of the larger pile of wood are destined to become the top and bottom pieces of the base - top will have the trebuchet mounted on it later, bottom will have 4-6 heavy duty casters mounted on it.

That's all for now guys, check back every day because I should be adding more pics.

=Awan :wave:

Edited by AnthonyWan
since this is Awans project, it will follow most of his other projects and not be finished!

Oh, SNAP!

Awan, some suggestions:

Use bigger hardware than those screws to hold it together. Put some right angle strapping around them or use lag bolts.

Put bigger wheels on it and let them free-wheel when you set the thing off. I have the National Geographic show on siege engines and they tested a treb with and without wheels and the wheeled one threw it's load further.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update time. This is the work that's been done as of the last update. Currently working on the arm/weight carrier assemblies as well as the wheels. The bar in the last pic is a piece of a sign post that we stole from a construction site and hack-sawed to shape. :lol:....It had the perfect diameter! :cheers:

May12009001.jpg

May12009002.jpg

May12009003.jpg

May12009004.jpg

May12009006.jpg

May12009007.jpg

Enjoy.

=Awan

• 2 years later...