I started my C-17 a few weeks ago. I intend to make it as a RAAF aircraft. Also want to add a bunch of detail to the cargo hold, as I'm going to have the back open. We'll see how far I get with that.

I constructed the engines first.

DSCN4322.jpg

I've stuck the cargo hold halves to their respective fuselage halves. I figured it might be easier to add some of the detail that overlaps both parts this way. Also I think it might be easier to add detail to the roof of the cargo bay. I'm probably going to pay for this later when nothing fits, but here's hoping it all works out.

DSCN4323.jpg

Added a bit of detail to the rear ramp.

DSCN4324.jpg

Chris

Looking good so far!

One thing I wish I did on my interior was not to have glued the gear bay sections on to the inner side walls early. I should have waited to attach them at the same time I closed the fuselage up. The bays can "float" a little leaving a possible gap. I also left the gear off since it can easily be installed later.

Also noted in my build is the "no slip" areas on the cargo bay floor, the decal does not match the plastic so I should have trimmed the raised details & sanded smooth floor leaving the recessed areas (probably sounds easier than it would be) and then applying the decal. Since you really cannot see inside that well, it probably does not matter.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Hi Chris,

Hope all goes well for your build. I'm hoping to get into mine sometime later this year. In relation to the 'guts', from what I've heard once she's all shut up you won't be able to see any detail in there even with the back door open. Ryan Hamilton who habitates on AMI is going to make up some resin gear to go in the back for that reason. Keep your eye out in the 'market place' on AMI and you might get just what you're looking for to fill the void.

Regards

Andrew

Hi Chris,

Hope all goes well for your build. I'm hoping to get into mine sometime later this year. In relation to the 'guts', from what I've heard once she's all shut up you won't be able to see any detail in there even with the back door open. Ryan Hamilton who habitates on AMI is going to make up some resin gear to go in the back for that reason. Keep your eye out in the 'market place' on AMI and you might get just what you're looking for to fill the void.

Regards

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. I thought that might be the case. I'd still like to add a few of the details and some of the "plumbing". I've also been considering getting hold of a dragon 1/144th Abrams to stick in it.

Here's a bit more progress. I've add the internal lights. I've also opened up the loadmaster's door. Does anyone know where this door goes when open? I've seen pictures from the inside and out, and I can't see it anywhere.

DSCN4326.jpg

Also added some of the detail around the tail opening.

DSCN4327.jpg

I'm still considering opening up another door/hatch or two to let in more light.

Chris

I'm still considering opening up another door/hatch or two to let in more light.

Chris

I wish I would have cut holes in the sidewalls behind where the lights are & added small white LED's to illuminate the interior. Little more than I wish to do.....

Great progress with the little bits.

I had mine in the On-Deck circle waiting for a spot to open up on the workbench (currently working on 3.5 kits simultaneously)... but then for my bday I got the new Tam Storch, and I have been lured away by it's charms. So the -17 occupies the dugout , at the moment, but should get a spot in the next month or 2.

Looking forward to watching everyone's builds!!!

Here's a bit more progress. I've add the internal lights. I've also opened up the loadmaster's door. Does anyone know where this door goes when open? I've seen pictures from the inside and out, and I can't see it anywhere.
Chris,

The Loadmasters door is like the over wing exit on airliner and is lifted out of the doorway. I have a picture of it just resting next to the opening. I will see if I can find it. I am away from home at the moment so I won't be able to look until Sunday at least.

Your build is looking good!

:P

Thanks guys!

Dave, I was just thinking to myself as I was putting the lights in how cool it would be if they actually worked. Sadly for me too I think that's a bit above my skill level and the amount of time I'm willing to put into this.

Ray, thanks for the answer. Seeing as the door just pops out I guess I could just leave it off the model completely.

Chris

Edited by ChristopherC

Well Chris, seeing this build by you and David has got me pulling it out of the stash and starting on it today. Glued the wings, tail planes, and cockpit together. Will probably spray these in the next day or so unless my Herc gets the better of me. Keep up the good work.

regards

Andrew

Well I'm back with another update, a few more details added to the interior.

Adding details to the interior walls with plastic card and scribing to make them look a little less plain. Also added the strapping that goes over the wing box using tamiya tape.

DSCN4331.jpg

Bits and pieces added further back. I also decided to open up both the paratrooper doors in the hope that this will let a little more light in. I was also considering opening the top hatch, but given the thickness of the plastic there I don't think I could make the opening look realistic.

DSCN4332.jpg

I also cut up the forward bulkhead a bit to make it flush, and also to lower the observation window and make an opening for what I guess is the escape tunnel. I replaced the loadmaster's desk with something a bit thinner and added a bit of an instrument panel.

DSCN4330.jpg

From the picture of the loadmaster's door Trojan Thunder posted, it looks like the upper storey of this bulkhead extends too far back into the cargo bay. There should be no "ceiling" extending over the door. If I'd caught this earlier I might have corrected it, but I can't be bothered now.

I realise I must be a bit crazy as most of these details will be extremely hard to see when it's all closed up. But I find the process fun so I'm not going to stop yet :thumbsup: Next up, plumbing! I think I also have to do something with all those seats...

Chris

Edited by ChristopherC

ROG put just enough interior details to make the modeler feel they need to add more detail.....

As for the hatch above the "fish bowl" window, it is access to the top hatch that maintenance will use to get on top. There is a little catwalk in the bay attached to the bulkhead.

Looking great so far, wish I had the time & patience to spend on the one I just finished. Maybe on #3 C-17 (#2 will probably not be opened up)

Looking great so far, wish I had the time & patience to spend on the one I just finished. Maybe on #3 C-17 (#2 will probably not be opened up)

#3?! I don't know where I'm going to put my #1!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. And thanks Dave for all your answers!

Chris

Added most of the "plumbing" last week. The thin copper stuff is just normal hookup wire stripped and unbunched. The thicker copper stuff is out of CAT5 network cable. Also glued in the doors and added handles.

DSCN4337.jpg

More pipes here. Added more bits and pieces to the walls from plastic card. I think the pointy things are stretcher bunk frames.

DSCN4338.jpg

More detail on the forward bulkhead too. Added the mini catwalk, as well as the things that look like heat exchangers. They were made by wrapping some tamiya tape around a plastic former, sticky side up, and then wrapping this with thin wire and coating with super glue. The tape keeps it all together and allows it to be slid off the former.

DSCN4339.jpg

I still want to add a few more pipes in the forward section. However, after seeing Gary's C-17 build over in the Critique Corner I found out that the only distinguishing feature that RAAF C-17s have is an extra pair of windows in the nose. I should probably add them before I do anything else.

Chris

I think this should just about do it for plumbing and wiring. I added what look to be air ducts and a few other bits and pieces. I think the forward ceiling now looks suitably cluttered.

DSCN4340.jpg

I opened up the fuselage windows revell omitted, as you can see here.

DSCN4341.jpg

Chris

Thanks guys!

Must be just about time for paint now?

Yeah, just about. I still want to improve the cargo bay seats somehow, but I can't figure out a way that won't be horribly tedious. Other than that I think I'm just about done with the interior.

Chris