Tamiya 1/48 F-16C/N

I am trying to understand why people are so pumped up on this kit? I can undersand if you are into Aggressor/Adversary F-16 schemes but otherwise. I have heard others state you can build a Block 30 up to a Block 52 from this kit, maybe from an airframe perspective but unless you want to build the Aggressor or Adversary aircraft I just don't see the big deal. Yes it is nice to get both huds/exhaust/intakes in one box but no LIGHTNING Pod, GBU's, AGM-88's or AN/AAQ-13 or 14. So as far as I can see you still have to add the cost of weapons, pods, decals, weapon decals to this kit. This may not be applicable to everyone but here in Ontario Canada where I live this kit is selling for $89.99 (that is $20.00 more than the F-16C Block 25/32 kit and in that kit I get LIGHTNING POD and GBU's and decals for the appropriate aircraft) not I have to add money buying decal sheets and weapons to say build a Block 40. I would of rather seen Tamiya bring out a Block 40 Night Falcon with all the appropriate pods and weapons, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a nice release for those that are interested in building a Aggressor/Adversary F-16C/N but it is quite costly IMO to purchase to build another block of an aircraft with the additions that must be purchased and added.

I am no F-16 expert and maybe I am missing something here with this kit?

My guess would be that is it popular because aggressors/adversaries are popular. Between two bobs, fightertown and afterburner, there have been at least half a dozen F-16 aggressor/adversary sheets released showing the popularity of these schemes alone. While I can't speak for everyone, I think that most people will use it as an aggressor and thus want to have the ACMI pods to avoid having to trade or buy aftermarket. I am sure a few people want it to use for a block 15-32 "regular" aircraft but i suspect the hype is because of the featured subjects.

The draw is the the fact that you can build any F-16C, and not have to buy 2 kits to mix and match parts to get the correct Blk a/c one wants to model,most of us have a stash of decals and weapons (if you care to hang them), so those cost's are not factored in, not everyone whats to hang everthing and the kitchen sink on their A/C.

Curt

I just bought one off Sprue Bros and I was super attracted to it because it gives you lots of options for which adversary you wish to build but it also comes with the extra AN/ALQ-188 pod. It comes with 2 different canopies so you get the tint combo you want too. In the states it is cheaper than the C/J in some places.

I have two of them, and multiples of the others & Hasegawa weapon sets, so hanging things under them is not an option.

To have an ACCURATE F-16C, block 25- block 52 is the big draw. If I see a Two Bobs or Afterburner or anyone else's decals I want to do, then I can grab one box and build it.

It is the Ultimate Viper, weapons kit of the modelers choice, aside.

I'd like to eventually have a stack of 5 or 6 of those things.

I have plenty of the 25/32 kits and have quite a few of the C/N to make into a 40. I also have 3 CJ kits I want to make into 40's, problem is I need 3 of the WAR HUDS that come in the C/N kit. So if anyone will not be useing their WAR HUD please let me know? I can pay for useing paypal for them

I have this kit and I also have a Kinetic F-16DG/DJ kit does anyone know what parts I need from the Kinetic kit to make the Tamiya kit into a F-16c Block 40 Night Falcon? I would assume AN/AAQ-13 and 14 pods and some GBU's? What about the airframe itself, do I have everything in the Tamiya kit to make the Block 40 airframe?

Heres a focking good deal for the C/N

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXWKZ0&P=SM

add something else to it to make it go over 50 dollars and you get $10 off

use code: 014PA

dont know what to add?

http://www.towerhobbies.com/plastic/listin..._sandpaper.html

look for hobbico and get some sanding pads...dont you need to polish out the seam in the canopy anyways?

I have this kit and I also have a Kinetic F-16DG/DJ kit does anyone know what parts I need from the Kinetic kit to make the Tamiya kit into a F-16c Block 40 Night Falcon? I would assume AN/AAQ-13 and 14 pods and some GBU's? What about the airframe itself, do I have everything in the Tamiya kit to make the Block 40 airframe?

Yes on the everything cockpit & airframe wise in the Tamiya kit. All you really need apart from the right side targeting pod (left side were dropped in the mid 90's I understand) is a set of scab plates of your choosing: Tamiya, Orion, or Cross Delta. They are must for the Block 40/42 air frames.

I stand corrected, apparently there are a lot of people getting this one to do an other than aggressor bird. Anyone not planning to do this one as an aggressor please see my trade thread here. I am looking for ACMI pods and AIM-9L/Ms. I have GBU's...

Edited by graves_09
No, not without a new tail fin and some other stuff (Carapace antennae etc.).

Regards,

So, If I use the Hasegawa MLU tail, Carapace bits, & other Hasegawa bits, I can do a 98 BAF Tiger Meet F-16MLU from this kit?

John

So, If I use the Hasegawa MLU tail, Carapace bits, & other Hasegawa bits, I can do a 98 BAF Tiger Meet F-16MLU from this kit?

John

Yes, that would be possible, but why not just modify the Hasegawa kit? You can use the AIFF bird slicers from the Tamiya kit and then you just need an F-16C instrument panel (and a few other minor modifications).

Regards,

Yes, that would be possible, but why not just modify the Hasegawa kit? You can use the AIFF bird slicers from the Tamiya kit and then you just need an F-16C instrument panel (and a few other minor modifications).

Regards,

BAF FA-71 did not have the bird slicers in 1998. I'm partial to the new tooled Tamiya F-16's but still like the Hasegawa kits. I have a Hase F-16 MLU and resin MLU cockpit, Aires I think. Just looking for alternatives. Really a well covered aircraft, F-16 lovers are lucky modelers. I wish some one would give us new tooled 1/48 F-111, not just the announced -A version by HobbyBoss.

John

BAF FA-71 did not have the bird slicers in 1998. I'm partial to the new tooled Tamiya F-16's but still like the Hasegawa kits. I have a Hase F-16 MLU and resin MLU cockpit, Aires I think. Just looking for alternatives. Really a well covered aircraft, F-16 lovers are lucky modelers. I wish some one would give us new tooled 1/48 F-111, not just the announced -A version by HobbyBoss.

John

If it did not have the bird slicers it wasn't an MLU airframe! AIFF bird slicers were part of the Mid-Life Upgrade (MLU).

If you're after a straight A model, Hasegawa is your best choice.

Regards,

If it did not have the bird slicers it wasn't an MLU airframe! AIFF bird slicers were part of the Mid-Life Upgrade (MLU).

If you're after a straight A model, Hasegawa is your best choice.

Regards,

I guess an A-15H it will be, shows how much I really do not know. All the F-16 boffins are a bunch of spoiled modelers anywy, all sub-variants possible, sheeeeesh, I'm going back to lurking.

Regards

John

Sorry to jack this tread, but it appeared dead, and I didn't think we need another tread for this kit. My question is, how are the decals for this kit? Are they accurate and do they go on well? Basically, if I want to do a jet featured in the kit do I need aftermarket decals or are the kit's acceptable? <ducks shoe thrown by Brian :salute:>

What is "acceptable"? Tamiya decals are generally pretty thick, but if that doesn't bother you... They generally do a pretty good job accuracy-wise. But what's acceptable to me might not be acceptable to you, or vice-versa. I guess it depends what you're looking for.

J

do i need the new wolfpack designs block 30 upgrade (the ones with the new underwing pylons) for this kit?

sorry i asked this question already

Edited by adamitri
do i need the new wolfpack designs block 30 upgrade (the ones with the new underwing pylons) for this kit?

sorry i asked this question already

Why????

I'd say no, no real gain in the pylon department.

Curt

I am trying to understand why people are so pumped up on this kit? I can undersand if you are into Aggressor/Adversary F-16 schemes but otherwise. I have heard others state you can build a Block 30 up to a Block 52 from this kit, maybe from an airframe perspective but unless you want to build the Aggressor or Adversary aircraft I just don't see the big deal. Yes it is nice to get both huds/exhaust/intakes in one box but no LIGHTNING Pod, GBU's, AGM-88's or AN/AAQ-13 or 14. So as far as I can see you still have to add the cost of weapons, pods, decals, weapon decals to this kit. This may not be applicable to everyone but here in Ontario Canada where I live this kit is selling for $89.99 (that is $20.00 more than the F-16C Block 25/32 kit and in that kit I get LIGHTNING POD and GBU's and decals for the appropriate aircraft) not I have to add money buying decal sheets and weapons to say build a Block 40. I would of rather seen Tamiya bring out a Block 40 Night Falcon with all the appropriate pods and weapons, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a nice release for those that are interested in building a Aggressor/Adversary F-16C/N but it is quite costly IMO to purchase to build another block of an aircraft with the additions that must be purchased and added.

I am no F-16 expert and maybe I am missing something here with this kit?

I think the bottom line is if you want it, get it. If you feel another Tamiya Viper kit is more to your liking, get that one instead.