Academy MiG-21MF in 1/48 scale

That is absolutely beautiful work. I plan on kitbashing the OEZ and Academy kits together to make a MF and also a PF. I have a plethora of both. I hope that I can do half as good as you did. I plan on using the OEZ fuse and tail with the Academy wings and gear. There is a nice vac canopy now available for the Eduard kit so I will mod my fuse to use it. I also would love to see the finished product. Post some more pictures please. Here is a picture of the UM I did a bunch of years ago. It is based on the OEZ kit with a new resin fuselage.

DSC02681.jpg

DSC02686.jpg

DSC02682.jpg

Edited by Otto
  • 2 months later...

The canopy is another sad story. As Laurent pointed out, the canopy should pince inwards at the rear end. That requires a new vacform canopy and some sanding at the front end of the spine. However, that is not all. The kit windscreen is too long, the canopy too short and the wind screen is too high as well. This prevetns the canopy from getting the slight slope downwards at the front end, that it needs to have to resemble the real thing. I will get on with painting before vacforming a new canopy. I have casted masters from the kit canopy that I am slowly re-shaping.

I will be back!

Martinsson

Hi Martenson

Since you have the CMK set are you going to use the vac canopy as a master ?? I noticed that it "appears" to be the right shape. (waiting for mine to arrive I like the marking options in that set !)

Also tho it's too late the rear end has a Mirage look to it due to the improper CMK spine/afterburner fit. But you did a masterful job with the surgery. I plan on using the Quickboost spine and vertical fin, so far it looks like it will mate to the CMK burned end better.

I've saved the images you posted to use in building my Academy MiG later this year. I will do the front end surgery you did, thanx for the info. I will redo the wheel well bulges as well.

Allan

• 8 years later...

About Academy's MiG-21 corrections

Hello Martinsson,

I am working on two Academy MiG-21s with lot of corrections. I see that you have put lot of effort in your project, great work! I would like to know what was the end result? Are there any pictures of the final model I can see? Any advice? I have a fear that after lot of effort, my MiGs will still look Academy ugly!

Thank you,

Hovig