Academy MiG-21MF in 1/48 scale

Hello Starflyer,

I enjoyed your F-16 build a whole lot so I am happy that you are back with another in-progress thread!

I have found that Gunze Aqueous H319 Light Green is a good match for Russian dielectric green.

Martin

Hello Starflyer,

I enjoyed your F-16 build a whole lot so I am happy that you are back with another in-progress thread!

I have found that Gunze Aqueous H319 Light Green is a good match for Russian dielectric green.

Martin

Thank you Martin,

I appreciate you enjoyed on my F-16, I hope you could enkoy again on the Mig-21.

About the radome green I will try soon, tanks.

Ciao

Hello Laurent,

Thanks for asking! The MiG is coming together nicely. I will write an up-date soon, hopefully tomorrow. Just a little more work to do. I hope to vacform the canopy and wind screen tomorrow.

Up-date time! I am happy to report that good progress has been made since last time. As you remember, the modifications I made on the fuselage required changes to the canopy. Academy´s mistakes added to the work needed. First the main canopy. I already addressed the fuselage, where the spine should pinch in right behind the canopy. Photos clearly shows this. This results in a canopy that is wider at the front compared to the rear. Academy moulded their canopy with the sides almost parallel from rear to front. This I had to fix. In addition, Academy´s canopy is somewhere between 2 and 3 mm too short. (It is impossible to know if Academy got the length of the cockpit exactly right, it looks OK from photos and drawings that I got from Laurent and Sergei - Thanks guys! - but there is no way to tell for sure). I decided to lengthen mine 2,5 mm. Finally, at the extreme front, the canopy of the MiG-21 slopes downwards just a little, right before it meets the wind screen.

So what about the wind screen? Well, Academy made this part too long. If you take a close look at the side windows on the wind screen, you will find that they are too long on the kit. Because they got the canopy too short, I think they compensated by lengthening the wind screen. I think they lengthened it even more to compensate for that though. In my opinion, the wind screen stretches too far forward on the nose. This helps throw the proportion off and contributes to the tubby look of the un-modified kit.

Here is what I did. I cast copies of the kit canopy and wind screen with Tamiya two-part epoxy putty. This is wonderful stuff. The quick curing type dries within a couple of hours if placed on top of a radiator of moderate heat. It sands really easy and polishes to a shiny finish. I really recommend it. Once the masters were cast, I lengthened and modified the canopy and wind screen according to my findings. Here you have the result:

Maincanopymaster.jpg

Maincanopybottom.jpg

CanopymastercomparedtoAcademy.jpg

Canopyandwindscreenmasters.jpg

After lots of adjustments and polishing I visited my friend Magnus who helped my vacform new clear parts. THANK YOU MAGNUS!!!! With a simple frame, toaster and vacuum cleaner he performs magic! Don´t let the simplicity of the equipment fool you. The results are top notch!

DSC_1093.jpg

DSC_1094.jpg

And here are the parts all cleared up and ready to go on the kit:

Vaccanopyandwindscreen.jpg

OK, that´s it for now. I will be back soon and tell you how the wind screen fits the kit!

Thanks for looking

Martinsson

Martin: what is the shape of the flat glass of the windscreen ? Is it elliptical ?

Could someone provide a pic of the front fuselage of a built Academy kit to compare the profil with Martin's model ?

Edited by Laurent

Thank you for your comments guys! Your support is much appreciated.

Laurent, yes, the flat part of the wind screen is elliptical. It automatically gets this shape when you transfer the square front at the bottom, gradually to the almost perfect half circle where it meets the front end of the canopy. It will be more clear when the frame is painted.

Here is a picture from Hyperscale, an Academy MiG-21Bis that Bob Aikens made. I hope they don´t mind me borrowing it for comparison.

mig21bisba_11.JPG

Here is another one:

mig21bisba_10.JPG

The entire article of this excellent kit can be found at:

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/mig21bisba_1.htm

The profile of my MiG-21 will stand out better once it is painted. I will get back with more pictures later.

Regards

Martin

Edited by Martinsson
  • 2 weeks later...

It´s been a while since my last up-date! The progress report lags the actual project a little. I need to shape up! OK, here is what I have captured so far:

I am quite happy with the fit of the wind screen. I had to fill a little underneath the wind screen sides but that was expected since I altered the sit of the wind screen. The bottom of the wind screen should follow the gentle curve of the nose, when viewed from the side. Because I shortened the wind screen, I get a little more distance between its front edge and the rear end of the boundary layer exhaust hatch. Here is what it looks like:

DSC_1108.jpg

DSC_1110.jpg

DSC_1102.jpg

I use a two part epoxy glue that dries to approximately the same hardness as the plastic. It is very strong and allows for several minutes of adjustment. Since it is about as hard as the plastic, it sands easily and thus makes a perfect filler. It is also much stronger than super glue. I use it for canopies and small details that otherwise might easily fall off.

DSC_1103.jpg

I will be back with more soon.

Martinsson

Hi Laurent!

I have made the spine pinch in just behind the canopy, according to your observations and photo references. I made my canopy mould after this which means that the canopy is wider at the front end compared to the back end. Is that what you mean by the kink? As soon as I have all basic stuff on, I will prime it and send more photos. I think that will give a better idea of the subtle shapes.

Cheers

Martinsson

Thank you Honza and Jeff!

And thanks to Laurent for catching the kink! The MF actually has a very subtle kink on the spine, where the bulbous rear part meets the straight part of the spine, just behind the canopy. The bulbous part of the spine pinches in from the top as well as from the sides. I have drawn a little sketch to show you what I mean. However, Academy exaggerated this and made the front part of the spine slope upwards a little towards the canopy. This part is more or less straight on the MF. From there, the canopy is bulbing slightly upwards to about 1/3 of its lengths.

Here is my simple drawing:

Spinecanopysketch.jpg

I need to sand down the front of the kit spine just a little to make it more straight, that is want you think huh Laurent? This will actually make my vacform canopy fit better! I made it a tad lower than the kit canopy at the rear end in order to enable it to bulb correctly. Talk about being lucky!

Thanks again Laurent!

Martinsson - who brings out the sanding stick once again!

Edited by Martinsson

Next up-date!

Just some small stuff this time. I have glued the flaps and ailerons to the wings. Before I did that I reinforced the joint with 0,3 mm steel rod that I attach with the Kwik two-part epoxy glue I used for the canopy.

DSC_1105.jpg

I decided to drop the flaps to make the kit more interesting. From the photos I have it is much more common to catch a MIG-21 with flaps up rather than down, in a parked position.

DSC_1100.jpg

More resin! The CMK rudder didn´t fit that well in the CMNK fin! :) I needed PC-strips on almost all sides.

DSC_1111.jpg

Next up-date will show all the small and fiddly stuff attached.

Bye for now!

Martinsson

Edited by Martinsson
I need to sand down the front of the kit spine just a little to make it more straight, that is want you think huh Laurent?

I used epoxy putty to fill up the kink between the fixed spine part (which is molded with the front fuselage halves) and the main spine part. The spine doesn't really 'bubble up' (it's not noticeably higher that the cockpit rear frame). Pic. Perhaps you have a better photograph ?

Ps: my Academy kit joined the Half Built Cemetery box in the garage so I cannot show you unfortunately. I'll finish a Matchbox Hellcat for my soon 4 years old little dude before I start anything new. Started too many kits, finished none. Total modelling depression. Is there prozac for modellers ?