Well I'm going to try my luck at building something for the group build. So far it has been 2 months and all I have gotten together is the fuselage and wings.

100_9954.jpg

basking in the sun need to get some color on that white skin.

100_9952.jpg

No hydraulic pressure so elevators and ailerons are drooping.

100_9928.jpg

Hopefully if all goes well, this is what the model will look like.

Convairship-385.jpg

If not this is what it will probably look like.

I have a week off while wife is out of town, so it will be me and my son, so I'm hoping to get some building time.

David

Edited by boeing767mech
Looking very nice David.

Drooping control surfaces are a nice touch.

I must ask again (with one now in service)...winglets? :)

Sorry, they just look so good with them (and without).

Since this group build was gone and not forgotten orginially, I'm doing a 767 in the days when there where no lay-offs, 3 class service and 767 LuxeryLiners. Those days are gone but not forgotten, so no I'm not doing N389AA, or any other 737/757 or 767 with winglets, in American colors.

David

Since this group build was gone and not forgotten orginially, I'm doing a 767 in the days when there where no lay-offs, 3 class service and 767 LuxeryLiners. Those days are gone but not forgotten, so no I'm not doing N389AA, or any other 737/757 or 767 with winglets, in American colors.

David

... and the flight attendents weren't all having hot flashes. Those indeed were the good old days.

Looks good. What are you planning on using for the BMF?

Mark

... and the flight attendents weren't all having hot flashes. Those indeed were the good old days.

Looks good. What are you planning on using for the BMF?

Mark

Haven't decided yet, I figure I have a couple of hours of Micro-Meshing the fuselage before I put any paint or foil to the plastic. Luckily I have the last season of BSG to rewatch.

David

All it takes is one coat of paint to ruin a prefect model. Here I was shooting my first coat of primer to find my faults and my can of air falls over and starts blowing water. Thank goodness this was a primer coat and is going to get sanded off anyway or I would be ****** and give up building models.

Just another day in modeling. Once it's dried back to sanding.

David

Bummer about the paint mishap. good thing it was only the primer coat.

1/144 Revell ehh? I assumed it was the 1/200 Hasegawa. After looking at the pictures more closely I can see I was wrong. Are you planning on using the kit decals or did you score some after market ones?

I'll be anxious to watch the progress on this one.

I'm planning on using the Revell American Airlines name and buzzard decals. The stripes are going to be painted since Revell butchered the windows on the stripes. I wonder if the same people that did the stripes/windows was the same back yard tractor mechanic that designed the Nose Landing gear for this model. I learned a 280 lbs 6'3 aircraft mechanic and a 1/2 oz nose gear for a 767 model don't mix while trying to wet sand a model.

Thank goodness I have a couple of models of junk 757's to kitbash another NLG for my 767.

Just another day of a beginner modeller and a full time aircraft mechanic.

David

PS but at least my paint mishap is gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing this one. Flew on N350AA to RDU last year, and I'd like to build it. Anyone know where I can get some decals? I've not got that kit.

350AA is the newest 767-300 we have.

For those who saw my other posting the model is back together and getting ready for paint. All the cracks are buffed out and it will still be in American colors and will be a bare metal foil fuselage.

And for those that want me to do N389AA. Well I give up, you get your wish I'm going to work it....... Oh wait I worked it not going to build it. 389 was in Boston the other day. Those winglets are huge. Sorry I couldn't get any better pics, the lighting sucked and it was in a busy gate. I showed up an hour late from over the pond (LHR) and we only had an hour to turn her for the LA trip.

101_0009.jpg

101_0008.jpg

100_9994.jpg

Interesting this is I just noticed besides winglets they also install vortex generators on the most outboard slats. I heard that in stall tests with the winglets the airplane would fall to the side and not straight down. So the vortex generators must straighten the airflow over the ailerons at slower speeds.

David

Edited by boeing767mech
350AA is the newest 767-300 we have.

For those who saw my other posting the model is back together and getting ready for paint. All the cracks are buffed out and it will still be in American colors and will be a bare metal foil fuselage.

And for those that want me to do N389AA. Well I give up, you get your wish I'm going to work it....... Oh wait I worked it not going to build it. 389 was in Boston the other day. Those winglets are huge. Sorry I couldn't get any better pics, the lighting sucked and it was in a busy gate. I showed up an hour late from over the pond (LHR) and we only had an hour to turn her for the LA trip.

About two weeks ago, we taxied into gate 32 at BOS and 389 was parked at gate 31 next to us. From the cockpit of a S80 those winglets are huge. The 767 looks good with winglets.

Glad to see you're back at this one, especially since I've been planning on the same approach as you for a 767 kit I have. A few years ago I scored the AA decals from the old Revell kit from someone on eBay. They are old and I'm not sure they'll hold up. I was trying to figure out what to use for a good match for the blue and the red. What's your plan. Are you mixing or are you able to get some official AMR issue from Uncle Gerard?

Mark

Edited by okthree