Any reviews or built ups of Airfix 1/48 BAC TSR 2?

Hi, there was a full build review in SAMI in Feb's issue & there are a number of builds over on Britmodeller one if the latest is a great FAA bird, the pit looks very good oob & Hannants are issuing what if sheets for the kit as well.

HTH Andy :)

I've been test fitting parts, and so far so good. The only real issue I have encountered so far in the upper fuselage top, part 25B, sits a little low against the top of the wing, leaving a step. I think it can be remedied with a little plastic shimming. Also, the bottom fuselage leaves a small gap at the intakes and the nose wheel bay of about 1/16th of an inch. A little Evergreen stripping and all will be well.

The cockpit is decent for the scale, but the instrument panels are little devoid of life. The bang seats are a decent representation, and the seated pilots are very nice. Typical Airfix right there.

There was a very useful article on HS recently about tweaking the main gear. It seems that without modification, the main gear track is too wide, and the plane appears to "squat". Having seen the real thing at Cosford twice now, I have to agree that the "post-mod" model has a much more realistic sit than the "pre-mod" model.

TSR.2 MLG splay fix

There was a very useful article on HS recently about tweaking the main gear. It seems that without modification, the main gear track is too wide, and the plane appears to "squat". Having seen the real thing at Cosford twice now, I have to agree that the "post-mod" model has a much more realistic sit than the "pre-mod" model.

TSR.2 MLG splay fix

That is a very good article. I've copied it to my own archives for when I build my TSR-2 as indeed the Airfix gear looked a bit splayed to me as well and I have seen both TSRs at Cosford and Duxford. The fix looks simple and elegant, perfect for a subject like the TSR-2.

Building this kit right now and it is a mixed bag. First of all, the very thought that we would have an injected TSR-2 in 48th is simply amazing...I appreciate Airfix for this. I'm also amazed at how big of an aircraft the TSR-2 is...quite spectacular.

The downside to the new Airfix kit is the very large panel lines, some of which are simply huge indentations in the plastic. The panel lines on the upper and lower portions of the fuselage are especially interesting because of the molding process. I have filled every panel line with super glue and have sanded the whole thing smooth...rescribing is next.

The other gripe I have is with the intakes. The actual intakes are very smooth inside and extend way back to where the engines are. Airfix has mucked-up this by making a three piece affair that has a very noticeably step on the inside upper section. The intake also stops way too short and should have been extended just a bit more so that it would mildly represent the real thing.

The cockpits are best left undescribed because the bear no resemblence to reality.

The upper fuselage fairing (which attaches just ahead of the wing) has too much of a bulge; a bit of sanding is necessary to get it to look better.

Airfix put a lot of work into detaining the landing gear bays, but I wish they wouldn't have and instead put the effort into better detailing elsewhere. Except for the small main gear doors, most of the gear bay doors are usually closed, so it really is a waste of effort on Airfix' part. The weapons bay is so-so and I've closed mine.

The plastic used on the TSR is also interesting; it is smooth and easy to cut, but it feels almost grainy when sanded. In spite of this, the plastic sands out well.

The decal looks very nice and I hope they go on a good as they look.

I just wish Airfix would have put out a product with the quality of the EE Lightning series from a few years ago.

Edited by Marv
The same way AC-130's were launched and trapped in carriers?

No that can't be it. I'm thinking Coastal Command with a squadron based in Scotland and Gibraltar and maybe the Falklands. You gotta keep an eye on the North Sea and the Atlantic for intruders ya know <_<