BSG Series Finalie

The screencap here:

http://www.galacticabbs.com/index.php?auto...&img=158538

shows that several Raptors made it to the colony, they cut thru the colony hull to gain access, but Starbuck's group was the only one that reached Hera. As for Racetrack's Raptor, it was hit on the starboard wing by a asteroid just before she launched her volley of nuclear 'Hellfires', true she wasn't in that great shape so it is possible she may have survived, in my opinion.

Jari

The screencap here:

http://www.galacticabbs.com/index.php?auto...&img=158538

shows that several Raptors made it to the colony, they cut thru the colony hull to gain access, but Starbuck's group was the only one that reached Hera. As for Racetrack's Raptor, it was hit on the starboard wing by a asteroid just before she launched her volley of nuclear 'Hellfires', true she wasn't in that great shape so it is possible she may have survived, in my opinion.

Jari

I don't know Jari, Racetrack looks pretty dead here ...

http://www.galacticabbs.com/gallery_images...ery_332_369.jpg

I think it also plays better into the theme of a divine hand at things if she was dead

There is a big problem with this statement. If Hera died as a child she can't be our mitochondrial ancestor. Anybody want to try to answer this one?

...unless the child they found in the dig wasn't Hera.

they didn't say she was a child, only that she was a young woman, which could place her anywhere from 15ish to almost 30, plenty old enough to have had children

I don't know Jari, Racetrack looks pretty dead here ...

http://www.galacticabbs.com/gallery_images...ery_332_369.jpg

I think it also plays better into the theme of a divine hand at things if she was dead

All she needs is a little makeup, a good night's rest and she'll be fine. :jaw-dropping: Hey if Starbuck can come back from the dead complete with a new Viper then there is hope for Racetrack.

Jari

Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,

Because their words had forked no lightning they

Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright

Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,

And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight

Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,

Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

- Dylan Thomas

327114-rodney_dangerfield_super.jpg

...all I can think of.

Edited by RedHeadKevin
My thoughts on the ending of the show:

First: When the Colonials landed on Earth, sure they sent their ships into the sun. But what about at least 1 Raptor that would probably be left on the planet (Adama's, at least,) to ferry the last people from space to Earth. I'm also sure that they planned ahead a bit, to keep the Colonials from getting Earth diseases, and the Earthlings from getting Colonial diseases. I doubt they sent all the asprin and bandages into the sun. My bigger issue is that they didn't leave any real record of the Colonial people. Couldn't they say, write it in a secret language on gold tablets and bury them somewhere in oh, upstate New York....heeeeyyyyyy waitaminute! (PS, the original BSG was heavily based on Mormon beliefs.)

Now THAT'S funny!

Second: Did anyone else get the vibe that the people "150,000 years later" knew something about Cylons in the past? If you watch the scene again, it really looks like Head-Gaius is reading out of National Geographic when he says "with her Cylon mother and human father." Of course, that would mean that the Earth at the end of the series isn't OUR Earth in 2009.

I think it was more that he was making it really clear it was Hera the article was about. I don't think he was reading it from the National Geographic tho.

Third: "You know He doesn't like that name." I like the idea that God is bigger than simple names. "there are more things in Heaven and earth, good Horatio, than is dreamt of in your philosophy." and all that.

Thanks! I didn't figure that out.

Fourth: So they split up the humans across the continents. Sucks to be the folks they unwittingly sent to Antarctica.

Fifth: Looks kinda chilly for Tanzania. Plus, Romo Lampkin wore sunglasses all the time in dimly/artificially lit spaceships. He gets down to Africa, no shades. Wierd.

Well, Africa has been through climate changes in the past, and will again... :)

As for lampkin, I think it was symbolic he lost the shades. While he was in the fleet, he was shielding himself from the ugly reality, once on Earth he was facing it.

Sixth: Tears were shed: Laura's thanking Cottle. Sam's goodbye/flying into the sun with the old theme. Adama's goodbye. Kara's goodbye (which was frakking brilliant.)

Seventh: So the Cylon colony got sucked into the black hole, right? That's what I took from all the rocks/debris heading in one direction after Racetrack's missiles hit.

That was my take on it. A lot less Cylons to worry about in the future that way too, as well as being payback for the destruction of the 12 Colonies.

When they showed Hera playing on the hill at the end, I thought she was going to trip over a half-buried Centurion head, cut to the credits.

The last episode has stood up to repeated viewings in my house. It was a good way to end the series.

One thing got me thinking: This show took place in our past, so, it's possible, sometime in the late 1970s, HeadBaltar and HeadSix would have been sitting around watching a TV series called "Battlestar Galactica" laughing their guts out and complaining about things like "Starbucks a DUDE?" and Daggits....

Alvis 3.1

Edited by Alvis 3.1
All good things should come to an end and not drag on forever.

'Lost' jumps to mind!

I really enjoyed BSG as well. I grew up watching the original and it was nice to have a newer, more mature themed show to watch now. I was pleased with how it all tied up.

Yeah and Anders quoting Jim Morrison. Goodbye Kara "Break on through to the other side" :rolleyes:

Max Bryant

Actually, he says - "I'll see you on the other side" Even turned on the close captioning to be sure.

This also goes along with what he said when he was plugged in for adama and kara to ask him the location of the cylon colony. - A perfect planet for the end of Kara Thrace - Sam probably knew more than any of them because of his condition, it allowed him to tap into that subconscious memory and on a greater plane, that perfection of mathematics that is the universe that he so longed for. Also remember that the song "all along the watch tower" was something that anders was working on on the original earth.

The series also raises questions about what we learn and what is genetic memory. So much of what they had, we have today. Did we reinvent the wheel because its the natural way of things or did we reinvent it cause somewhere, buried deep in our genetic code, we always knew how to. This leads back to the cycle - All this has happened before and will happen again. Why is it we do what we do?

This is one of those stories that you cannot lose yourself in the details as its about the bigger picture. Are there contradictions? Sure are. But that's life isn't it?

Very well said. :cheers:

@adamitir - GREAT REPLY!!!!

I'm an adult and have cable so language and suggestive seens don't really offend me; but I have to admit these things I got tired of and / or didn't like:

1) Hearing the word frackin' countless times on every episode. We get it... you want to be on HBO so you don't have to pull a Meet the Parents Fauker :thumbsup:

2) Crazy Kara - season 4 with Kara character sucked - I thought.

3) Lee Adama as a politician. I just thought he was better as an officer.

4) The whole opera house and chasing Hera... just didn't think it was needed at all. I do realize it was used as "divine."

Otherwise, I truly love the series. I'm really disappointed that it's over. I heard the complete series will be released on blu-ray in July; I'm looking forward to picking it up since I didn't buy any of the DVD seasons. So what "reality" show can we replace it with? Maybe Who Wants to Frack a Robot!?! I'll probably checkout Caprica; but I don't have too much hope for the series. The previews just didn't catch my attention much. To be honest, I'm getting tired of investing in a show, that I like, to see it killed off due to low ratings or merely running its course: Jericho, Firefly, looks like TSCC, BSG, and the list goes on.

Edited by BU_GRAD_07
I thought about the structural thing too, but there are ships of all shapes and sizes in the fleet, some of them looking quite fragile, and they seem to jump just fine without compacting themselves.

Like a few other mentioned, the Galactica was an old ship, its been established that was weakened by corrosion and years of war. The Galactica was also the largest ship in the fleet, wouldnt it make sense that she'd have to retract the landing decks to make the ship as small as possible before a jump. Makes sense as well to protect the Vipers, Raptors and other smaller ships inside the pods from forein debris they could encounter at the other end of the jump.

All in all, I loved the series, and I though it was a great ending. I still think Baltar is a Cylon since he was able to see and interact with the "Red Dress Six" and "Caprica Six" being able to do the same. I also wondered how else would he be able to survive the nuclear assault on Caprica in the first place. maybe he didnt, but was simply ressurected. He may not be one of Saul and Ellen's cylons, but maybe from an earlier cycle. I was a bit surprised when the "Head Angels" appeared to say the least.

I also expected them to found Atlantis, thinking about it now though that would have been a bit far fetched. This ending was much better.

Looking forward to Caprica but Im afraid BSG will be a tough act to follow.

ps: I chuckled a bit when Kara said "There must be some kind'a way outta here". While watching the previous episodes, I couldn't figure out why they'd blatantly plagerize such a great song. All makes sense now. I'll have to ask my band if we can add that song to our set list.

Edited by Charlie Cheetah
Looking forward to Caprica but Im afraid BSG will be a tough act to follow.

I have low expectations for Caprica, its going to be a totally different beast the BSG...think more drama then Scifi...hopefully they'll be able to keep the great character development from BSG in it. I'll check it out but I don't think it will hold my interest....

Just watched the finale the other day. I agree with most of what has been said here. I enjoyed the episode, and even though I was sad to see the series end, I was glad that it reached a meaningful conclusion instead of dragging on and on.

My 2c: I felt that Gius completely redeemed himself in this episode by his actions on Galactica, but I guess that was kind of the point. Also, I don't know what it is but I just felt sorry for Leo when Kara just disappeared into thin air.

Chris

I have low expectations for Caprica, its going to be a totally different beast the BSG...think more drama then Scifi...hopefully they'll be able to keep the great character development from BSG in it. I'll check it out but I don't think it will hold my interest....

Now that we know the characters.....the new series should survive on the drama with less sci-fi needed to hold the audience. I do suspect they have plenty of sci-fi they can add to the story.....the first cylon war etc.....Aama as a young pilot etc.

Just saw the tapes. What a brilliant way to end an awesome show!

I was distinctly wondering how the writers were going to tie the various convoluted threads together and, bluntly, was hoping for anything above 'disappointed'. I found all the assorted dwellings on history brought together to amplify the poignancy of it all. Worked, for me. To have such a kick-*** ending has made this weekend great in these quarters.

Also was forced to watch several times the all-time classic exchange with Baltar, hunkered down with a rifle and meeting Caprica:

Caprica: "I've been in more battles than you"

Baltar: [absolutely BEAUTIFULLY judged pause] "Fair point..."

This show has wiped the floor with pretty much everything prior to it. The various nods to the original series were also sly and amusing. Must be nice to be E. Olmos - to give the performance of a lifetime when knocking on a bit, though it was truly an ensemble piece over the life of the show. Great series, and it will be missed.

Very happily surprised by this :salute:

Patrick

Ok I finished watching it - but again missed the first few minutes. Does Baltar and Six in NYC at the end mean they were angels or that Baltar was god?

And how long do Cylons live? Did they ever mention that?

I thought B5 took some thought to try and get ones mind wrapped around it, but at least it makes more sence than Andromeda ever did.

Matt

Ok I finished watching it - but again missed the first few minutes. Does Baltar and Six in NYC at the end mean they were angels or that Baltar was god?

I made it that there was an (indeterminate: probably for the best) Divine involvement in things with the 'angelic' Baltar and 6 - but that the physical Baltar & 6 stranded on (new?) Earth 150k years previously have long since passed away. Made sense without tying up all the loose ends too neatly, which is always naff (see: Star Wars 1-3, Hannibal etc ;))

Patrick

As for the irony with the robot toys at the end, very nice...

And how long do Cylons live? Did they ever mention that?

The Final Five were around for thousands of years through at least two repeats of the human / cylon wars. Cavil at one point complained about being created as an old man. Add that to the resurrection technology and it's easy to imagine they could live indefinitely. The destruction of the resurrection hub changed all that of course. One would have to assume that the cross-breeding of Cylon and Human in Herra changed that, or we'd be looking at a real population explosion!

I hated it, with a few exceptions.

They really could have made the series so much more had they gone down the preferred path that Richard Hatch wanted.

I purchased the first 2 seasons on DVD and will be selling them as soon as I am able to. In my opinion B5 was a far superior show written by a far superior set of writers. All the shades of grey were present but done waaaay better.

Apart from that, roll on the IM kits. I thought the new take n the equipment was excellent and you are right, 21st-22nd century tech indeed. I have no doubt once mankind irons out the kinks of the theory being proposed now to use crumpled space and develop tech to utilise that theory, it would be a similar thing.

:worship:

MikeJ

i have never heard what direction richard hatch would have liked to see. can you enlighten me?