Hi guys.

I'm building a F-15C in the Mod-Eagle scheme but I can't seem to find a good color for the blueish-gray color.

My decals from TwoBobs say I should use FS 36176 as ModelMaster #2036. But it does not seem to have any blueish tint to it.

I tested ModelMaster #1920 "Intermediate Blue" FS 35164 as it seemed to be a blueish-gray, but it is too blue to use strait up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Cool Hand

I guess it depends which squadron. Some appear darker or grayer than others. I am planning a Lakenheath jet. I thought the mod eagle colors were too dark and the dark mod eagle lacked the bluish tint. I used xtracrylics - barley gray for the lighter mod eagle color and the dark/blue gray for the darker. I think it comes close. My personal opinion is that the F-22A Raptor more closely represents the mod eagle colors out of the bottle.

124.jpg

Just my 2 c I think you have to look where the original is based. In Europe based Eagle are looking darker than those in sunny state California or New Mexico. I would add bit of white and it gets ok when all the varnishes are done. And always good to see pics of your Eagle!! :woot.gif:

Just my 2 c I think you have to look where the original is based. In Europe based Eagle are looking darker than those in sunny state California or New Mexico. I would add bit of white and it gets ok when all the varnishes are done. And always good to see pics of your Eagle!! :woot.gif:

Other then light/background colors in pictures.

They are 36176 and 36251.

Lakenheath birds other then the light/background color in pictures, look a little different because they end up being more dirty/weathered then most squadrons.

If you are just looking at pictures or One color by its self, I can see how it will through you off. The 2 colors together when on the bird show up the blue well.

Funny, I would think people would question the 36251 as being to dark then the top color. Seeing as pictures make it look lighter then it is.

Edited by Wayne S

I'm doing a 102FW MA ANG Eagle. They had tendency to look very blue. Here's a pic from Ken Middleton in the F-15 research thread.

F-15C_780508_KFMH_24Jan2008_Nasty_KenMiddleton_DSC_2235.jpg

Thats why I didn't trust the blueish-gray listed in the instructions. But the darker gray looks spot on even in 1/72.

I think the MM out of the bottle is a bit dark, but would probably match a freshly painted jet. Blain's choices above seem to nail it well

Lighting and weathering (and photographer!) have a big effect on the darker grey. So I think you could lighten the MM color, or add a bit of grey to the Intermediate Blue if you want to use MM colors

Some As from 4.5 years ago

F-15A_770113_KFMH_7October2004_KenMiddleton_100_2186.jpg

F-15A%2077-115%20Otis%20102%20FW%20Otis%20ANGB%202004.jpg

Some more recent Cs

F-15C_780485_KFMH_16September2007_KenMiddleton_DSC_1263.jpg

F-15C_800016_KFMH_25Aug2007_KenMiddleton_DSC_0876.jpg

I think the MM out of the bottle is a bit dark, but would probably match a freshly painted jet. Blain's choices above seem to nail it well

Lighting and weathering (and photographer!) have a big effect on the darker grey. So I think you could lighten the MM color, or add a bit of grey to the Intermediate Blue if you want to use MM colors

Some As from 4.5 years ago

Ken what color/paint is on your JZ bird, in this link? (Bottom picture)

http://www.aero-cafe.com/scale_models/f-15_models.htm

Edited by Wayne S
Wayne, that's where I experimented with MM Intermediate Blue straight with no modifications

I see, Ill have to get a few colors and mess with them since I haven't in a wile. If I recall right, people use to use 36173 and that was darker/grayer then 176.

I think you could lighten the MM color, or add a bit of grey to the Intermediate Blue if you want to use MM colors.

That's what I think I'm going to do. I'll start with a 50/50 mix of Int. Blue and the base gray, and go from there.

This is pretty much what I'm looking for when it's done.

F-15C_780485_KFMH_16September2007_KenMiddleton_DSC_1263.jpg