I just saw a 1/72 B-52H update set from a company called BDRM (?) on the GreatModels Hobby website. It included all new engines and nacelles, a replacment nose , a part for the rear of the aircraft and assorted lumps and bumps.

Is this a new product or some rehash? Does it help or solve most the serious problems of the B-52H kit? Your comments are welcome

I have read all the threads about Golden Dragon vs. the world. My first question still stands, is this a good conversion set for that kit? I really dont need all the sorrid who did what to who first. Quite frankly, I'd buy something from Hugo Chavez if it helped my model look better.

Ignore all you read about GDP and BMD, the guy who makes them is a bit flakey on the delivery front, but his work is spot on, they are top notch and yes they do exactly what it says on the tin.

Ive got a couple of the sets [b-52H update & Wing box fix] I can give you any info you want about them if you want.

As long as you get them from Great Models you will have no problems at all.

Ignore all you read about GDP and BMD, the guy who makes them is a bit flakey on the delivery front, but his work is spot on, they are top notch and yes they do exactly what it says on the tin.

Ive got a couple of the sets [b-52H update & Wing box fix] I can give you any info you want about them if you want.

As long as you get them from Great Models you will have no problems at all.

Have you seen the same Golden Dragon B-52 sets that I have? 'Cause the ones I've seen are garbage. They have the same exact problem as the AMT kit - the nose section is entirely too skinny and pointed, and totally misses the shape of the front end of a BUFF.

IMHO, if these sets you're talking about are the same as the Golden Dragon stuff, don't waste your money. The AMT/Ertl kits are a complete waste of time for everything except their very nice landing gear parts, and the Monogram gear isn't that bad to start with.

Get the Monogram D and the Flightpath conversions and you'll have a superb looking later model BUFF.

J

PS: "Great" Models is one of the sorrier outfits I've ever had the misfortune to do business with online. Lots of others have had the same bad experience. I'll never order from them again. Three months to deliver something that's "In Stock" - with no apology nor explanation is dumb.

I didnt know Great models had a bad reputation!

In that case deal with caution, but the sets might well be worth the wait.

I do have the new sets, they are new, they are not the old Golden Dragon sets, they are all new masters and the resin is good.

Even at a casual glance the old Golden Dragon sets were poorly executed sets, done by someone with little experience in parts design and casting, the lessons seem to have been learned and I can say the new sets are well worth it.

They are even worth the risk of buying from an online store with a reputation for late deliveries [at least they do deliver]

Get the set, then comment on them :rolleyes:

PS: "Great" Models is one of the sorrier outfits I've ever had the misfortune to do business with online. Lots of others have had the same bad experience. I'll never order from them again. Three months to deliver something that's "In Stock" - with no apology nor explanation is dumb.

I've ordered from them several times and I have only had one or two issues with them (shipped the wrong decal sheet once and had some confusion about a pre-order release date) . For the most part, I've had no problems with them.

Edited by muswp1
Can you put up some pics of this new stuff??

Tks!

J

Oh yeah, that would be cool ElectroSoldier, I just paid big $ for a Monogram Buff (they're so scarce here in Switzerland) I'd like to convert to a late -H version... got the Cutting Edge "Part 5" decal sheet too, after searching it for months :pray: . Still after Cutting Edge's resin set but it's even scarcer and the prices... myyy :salute: !

The photos I've seen from these new designed resin sets didn't inspire me confidence at all (flashes all over, irregular surfaces), I hope your photos will clarify things.

Thanks!

I know it's not the same scale but here's a review of a Golden Dragon 1/144 B-52 resin (actually, it looks like it was made out of $hit instead of resin...) conversion set:

http://www.modelingmadness.com/others/conv...owngd52conv.htm

Excuse my comment, I just think that if people dear to release a resin "conversion set", which is normally made to IMPROVE a kit, they do it well or they don't... I mean, look at the engine pods :salute: !?!?!? Pure comedy...

Edited by GearDownPlease

They dont, they are in the pipes, but they do make the AGM-142 missiles and data link pod as seen on their site, but all I got from DP when I mentioned it was a lose "its in the pipes"

But given the extreamly high quality of the other Flightpath sets I cant wait to see them.

DB did some, Airwaves do some and of course CE did some too...

Ill try and figure out how to make my camera work so the parts dont look like a grey blob and Ill get some pics up.

I'm not sure if the Airwaves conversion will fit the AMT/Italeri kit. You have to use the aft engine nacelle parts from the Monogram B-52D kit for both the G and H conversions. From what I understand the AMT/Italeri engines are undersized and would probably be too small for the conversion set.

I'm not sure if the fuselage parts would fit as all parts were designed to be used with the Monogram B-52D.

ElectroSoldier, many many thanks for your photos, at least someone posts photos of this set. I'm still not convinced about the general proportions of the rear part of the pod, I think I'll keep on searching for a Cutting Edge set... (ANYBODY HERE???) hoping it is better shaped.

Ill get some pictures of the BMD engines with the kit engines side by side and some dimenssions for you.

But the BMD engines are larger...

BMD engines: 18mm cowling, 56mm nacell [= total 74mm long], 42mm nacell diameter

AMT engines: 9mm cowling, 54mm nacell, [= total 63mm long] 35mm nacell diameter

Ill get some pictures of the BMD engines with the kit engines side by side and some dimenssions for you.

But the BMD engines are larger...

BMD engines: 18mm cowling, 56mm nacell [= total 74mm long], 42mm nacell diameter

AMT engines: 9mm cowling, 54mm nacell, [= total 63mm long] 35mm nacell diameter

Thanks, that's nice from you. All I know is that the AMT engines are plain rubbish, being off-shaped and far too small. Those BMD engine pods look indeed chunkier and are obviously an improvment over the AMT's but the shapes still do not convince me... but that's just a personal tought.

I'd buy the set just for the engines and the tail section. Those two areas are my main concern. I do have a question, though. Are we supposed

to use the kit supplied pylons for the engines, or does the set come with them?

RYAN.

Saying Daniel is a 'bit flakey on the delivery front' is like saying the Pope has Catholic tendencies or fire is kinda warm.

One thing that's puzzled me for the last year or so is that out of all the people that have dealt with him over the years, you seem to be the only satisfied customer. Care to explain?

Ken

Saying Daniel is a 'bit flakey on the delivery front' is like saying the Pope has Catholic tendencies or fire is kinda warm.

One thing that's puzzled me for the last year or so is that out of all the people that have dealt with him over the years, you seem to be the only satisfied customer. Care to explain?

Ken

Is it...

Explain what? The product needs no explanation.

Yes you need to use the kit pylons with the engines, you need to remove the lower portion of the pylon as supplied because this is part of the resin parts [as it always should have been]