1/48 F-111F - Risen from the ashes

Ah, this is a build I've been following with great expectations, Mike! Great job ya're doin' on it. :thumbsup: Unfortunately, I learnt about Cutting Edge's seamless intakes when it was already too late... I've got Academy's FB-111A in my stash still awaiting some kind of miracle = as in "somebody ought to do somethin' so that Cutting Edge were back into production," don't ya think?

Keep up the good work, Mike!

Uncle Uncool,

Are you not aware of the Dmould F-111 TPII intakes?

F-111_page.JPG

Click the image to go there. They are actually better than the Cutting edge versions IMHO.

Uncle Uncool,

Are you not aware of the Dmould F-111 TPII intakes?

:worship::monkeydance::coolio: nimrod77, mate...!!! *hyperventilates* Ya've just overthrown David Campese of the #1 position on my list of heros! Jesus, this oughta explain why I like ya Aussies so much! Thank ya a lot for the info, chap! Me is looking into it right away! They do look better than Cutting Edge's, by the way.

I did learn about this Aussie company, Greg Anderson's OzMods Scale Models, from whom I bought the long span wings/flaps/slats and the wheels & tyres sets, but this one I still didn't know about.

Incidentally, weren't ya building an F-111F as well?

Cheers, mate!

:blink: :woot.gif::cheers: nimrod77, mate...!!! *hyperventilates* Ya've just overthrown David Campese of the #1 position on my list of heros! Jesus, this oughta explain why I like ya Aussies so much! Thank ya a lot for the info, chap! Me is looking into it right away! They do look better than Cutting Edge's, by the way.

I did learn about this Aussie company, Greg Anderson's OzMods Scale Models, from whom I bought the long span wings/flaps/slats and the wheels & tyres sets, but this one I still didn't know about.

Incidentally, weren't ya building an F-111F as well?

Cheers, mate!

F-111C actually :) Used the scaledown wings,wheels, burner cans, and doors along with the black box cockpit and CE TP1 intakes along with a ton of scratch building. I will do a G model with the Dmould TPII intakes after I see the Hobbyboss long winged F-111 kit.

Glad that I could help mate and I hope to see your pig on here soon! If you need references let me know and I will try to help if I can.

Cheers!!

Ah, those D mold intakes look much nicer than the CE version. The shock cones were a bear to get lined up right.

I'm on vacation for the next week, it might be a good time to break the beast out and start working on her again.

cheers,

Mike

F-111C actually :) Used the scaledown wings,wheels, burner cans, and doors along with the black box cockpit and CE TP1 intakes along with a ton of scratch building.

Oh, yeh, the C version :doh: ; now I recall it was while peepin' at yer work that I found out about the scaledown accessories. Twice my hero now. Whut's up with that build, mate?

Glad that I could help mate and I hope to see your pig on here soon! If you need references let me know and I will try to help if I can.

Awlright, nimrod; a huge thank ya, kindly, mate. As for posting pictures of my FB-111A; y'know I asked for a digital camera these Xmas, but that red fat cynical Santa just brought me a pair of boxers instead... :thumbsup: Next year I'll be evil as a revenge and see if I can borrow a camera from some relative or friend.

Hope ya have a great New Year's Eve, nimrod!

• 5 weeks later...
Oh, yeh, the C version :whistle: ; now I recall it was while peepin' at yer work that I found out about the scaledown accessories. Twice my hero now. Whut's up with that build, mate?

Awlright, nimrod; a huge thank ya, kindly, mate. As for posting pictures of my FB-111A; y'know I asked for a digital camera these Xmas, but that red fat cynical Santa just brought me a pair of boxers instead... :woot.gif: Next year I'll be evil as a revenge and see if I can borrow a camera from some relative or friend.

Hope ya have a great New Year's Eve, nimrod!

Well my pig is at the decaling stage Unc. Shouldn't be long now.

I will take pics soon but I want to wait for some decent, interesting progress before posting.

Cheers.

P.S. LongMC sorry for the thread hi-jack!!

Well my pig is at the decaling stage Unc. Shouldn't be long now.

I will take pics soon but I want to wait for some decent, interesting progress before posting.

Cheers.

P.S. LongMC sorry for the thread hi-jack!!

No worries! My builds are all completely stalled out at the moment. Looking forward to your progress pics!

• 4 weeks later...

Time for another update. Geoff's beautiful build sparked me to work on mine some more.

This round I've finished major construction and started adding detail. Starting at the rear bottom and working forward.

Here's an overview of the bottom. I'm trying to figure out what to do about the weapon bay doors. Here I've made some out of sheet stock.

100_4136.jpg

100_4137.jpg

Finally, I got some paint on the loadout items

100_4138.jpg

More to come as progress is made.

Good to see you making headway with your pig LongMC! Are those weapons from the Hasegawa set or another after market co?

That's odd. My first reply to you didn't show up. Anyway, to answer your question - the GBUs are Hasegawa set D, the ECM is Verlinden, and the Pave Tack is Flightpath.

I finally feel like I'm hitting a stride here. More progress being made.

Weapons painted, clear coated, washed, and decaled. Used the ABD USAF stencils.

100_4140.jpg

I also got the tail boom on and the engines built and painted.

These are the paragon resin TF-30s for the F-111F.

100_4141.jpg

These are pretty great, except they don't have any type of augmenter section.

I used the section out of a revell F-15E that fit the end perfectly.

You can also see I've added PE from a very old Eduard detail set.

100_4144.jpg

I think next is to finish up the airframe rescribing and adding remaining details. Getting close to spraying paint now, I'm excited.

thanks for looking!

Mike

Coming along nicely LongMC :D Great job!

I got the Scaledown engine exhausts for my pig. They are pretty good. They would suit your build but not if there already installed and glued!!

Cheers mate!

Hey Nimrod. THanks for the comments.

They're not glued in yet, just tacked to see how they fit. I've got the Scaledown set too, but they're not accurate for an F. Paragon's are designed specifically for the F-111F as they have different nozzles.

I've got a couple sets of Scaledown and they're pretty nice too. I'll use them on my EF, D, and E birds once ABD releases those sheets! It's finally looking like a good day to be a Vark fan!

Cheers,

Mike

Finally, ready for paint! It seems like I've really been dragging my feet on this one, but right when I think I'm done I remember something I forgot to add.

here's a view of the final assembled bottom before it all fades to black.

100_4151.jpg

100_4152.jpg

and the top.

100_4150.jpg

I'm really hoping my masking is right. This is always the worst part for me, and probably why I have some many kits built, but not painted.

Thanks for looking!

Mike

Rounding home stretch now. I've got all the primary painting finished today.

Here's how she looks with a new paint job:

front.jpg

rear.jpg

Wings.jpg

bottom.jpg

lftside.jpg

rtside.jpg

I'm not convinced on the colors and I changed up the camo pattern to match walk arounds I have of this bird.

Now to let everything dry for a day then onto the first future coat.

Thanks for watching!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...