Mi-8T vs. Mi-8MT/Mi-17 differences

Hee everybody, a question about the CIA/SF-Hips in use in Afghanistan.

What about the other side? Dshk's or MG-240?

27x04ef.jpg

I can't find it on the web. Please help me out :)

Thanks in advance!

Daan

With regard to that picture, I think it has PKM's on both sides. Doubt it would have a Dshk mounted anywhere, that is a pretty big weapon for one a helo door gun.

I don't know if anybody has seen this link below.

http://n5lp.net/Saltflatmystery.html

It is an interesting little story about what appears to be a special ops training facility being set up in the desert in the Texas/New Mexico area. If you scroll down towards the bottom of the page, you'll find a grainy photo of what looks like a modern HIP being used, possibly for parachute drops. I'm not sure if this particular helicopter has been photographed elsewhere in the USA or on operations abroad, perhaps in Afghanistan or Iraq (although it is possibly more likely to be seen in Yemen or Mali these days).

LD.

I don't know if anybody has seen this link below.

http://n5lp.net/Saltflatmystery.html

It is an interesting little story about what appears to be a special ops training facility being set up in the desert in the Texas/New Mexico area. If you scroll down towards the bottom of the page, you'll find a grainy photo of what looks like a modern HIP being used, possibly for parachute drops. I'm not sure if this particular helicopter has been photographed elsewhere in the USA or on operations abroad, perhaps in Afghanistan or Iraq (although it is possibly more likely to be seen in Yemen or Mali these days).

LD.

Thanks for sharing story. It always puzzles me what the SF/spooks do on these locations.

The HIP on the photo looks like an Mi-171 to me. Haven't seen these on US-soil in desert camo.

Btw: anyone can tell me the purpose of the 'fat lip' on this HIP?

PUSHKIN+MI-8PPB.jpg

Take care,

Daan

Edited by dæn

Thanks for sharing story. It always puzzles me what the SF/spooks do on these locations.

The HIP on the photo looks like an Mi-171 to me. Haven't seen these on US-soil in desert camo.

PUSHKIN+MI-8PPB.jpg

Take care,

Daan

On a Russian site there was a short description of it. It was an experimental heli if I remember right. Will have to look it up again.

Best regards

Gabor

PUSHKIN+MI-8PPB.jpg

From Yefim Gordon's Mi-8/17 book - Vol 14 in the 'Red Star' series......

"This bizarre-looking Mi-8MT photographed at Pushkin was extensively modified by LNPO Leninets as a radar systems testbed. Note the 'gun camera' above the entry door"

Ken

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I do remember that somewhere on BiS forums the question was answered but I cannot find it anymore cause in the past they got moved,so since I was drawning some stuff and taking inspiration screens for dioramas.What is this thing?

Flashpoint 1985 CWC Hip was a standard Mi17,no IR suppressors,no shields just a lovely load of 6 rocket pods and nothing more

hipw.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 2 months later...

Can anybody shed some light on this Mi-17 that I photographed in Kabul, Afghanistan back in 2006. There's no visible serial and no markings at all on it which makes me think it might be used by 'special' people. What do the Mi-8/17 experts think?

sfhip.jpg

Hey!

That's a Mi-8/17. Not a modernized version, but built after 2000.

The ramp was modified, and the engines were replaced with more powerful. That's all I can tell.

More information You can find on this site: http://www.russianhelicopters.aero/en/

I photographed a similar machine at the 2010 'Aviasvit XXI' show at Gostomel, Kiev.......

day05_014.jpg

day05_015.jpg

It's a Kazan-built Mi-8MTV5 (or Mi-17V5) - all the stencilling was in English and it carried the US Registration N 7040J

The one I photographed only had a single heat exchanger/cabin heater on the starboard side.

Ken

• 1 month later...

Hee guys, let's bring this thread alive a bit.

This one is a repost, a Hip used by UKSF in A'stan:

UKSF_Mil_Hip.jpg

This one is from a vid from DEA Fast team:

Uk_SF_hip.jpg

Any more info on these light blue birds?

Cheers,

Daan

Not much, other than the picture that appeared in Air Forces Monthly that I mentioned earlier in the thread realting to this aircraft. But note that they have the same modifications (DASS fit) that the two Hips used in the UK to train Afghan pilots.

• 9 months later...

Hello im doing some resaerch about the czech hips.

Now i found the fly with the Mi-171S but in two versions.

The feul tanks are the bigger than the normal mi-8?

I will start from the hobbyboss kit.

Thanks Mark

Mark,

Forget the above - I just found some walkround photos (inside & out) I took of a 'proper' Mi-171S at the 'Heliday' in 2011.

Let me know if you want them and I'll get them to you.... this one......

mi-171s czech.jpg

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Is there an easy ('snap') way to differentiate between a Mi-8 & a Mi-17? I've heard something along the lines as 'the Mi-8 tail rotor is on the LHS, the Mi-17 is on the RHS'. Is that legit?

Is there an easy ('snap') way to differentiate between a Mi-8 & a Mi-17? I've heard something along the lines as 'the Mi-8 tail rotor is on the LHS, the Mi-17 is on the RHS'. Is that legit?

It is just one of the visual differences. Go back a few pages and read the comments.

The biggest difference was in the engines used on them. The Mi-8 had the older TV2-117 engine which was visibly longer, extending over the top forward above the cockpit. The Mi-17 had the more powerfull and smaller TV3-117 power units, they are shorter and usually have the mushroom shaped dust filters on the intakes. The dust filters on their own are not an identifying feature since they were retrofited to some Mi-8's while they are not used all the time on Mi-17's. But the engine size is important. With a different engine came a different exhaust both in shape and size.

Also the Mi-17 had the AI-9V APU unit just after the main rotor with an intake on the right side and an exhaust on the left side. This added a more square appearance to the top fuselage.

There is a difference in weapon pylons. In most cases the Mi-17 have three on each side while on the Mi-8 they had two, the frame was different here.

Hope this will help you to identify a Mi-17 from a Mi-8.

Best regards

Gabor

A Mi-17 IS a Mi-8 (at least its a Mi-8MT)

Mi-17 is merely the export designation of the Mi-8MT and derivatives.

So, a quick and dirty recognition feature is .... if the tail rotor is on the starboard (RH) side - it's a Mi-8T (whether Russian of export)

If the tail rotor is on the LH side - it's a Mi-8MT (Russian) or Mi-17 (export).

Seeeeeemples...

For a more comprehensive explanation of the visual differences.......

Mi-8T

a_differences_01.jpg

Mi-8MT/Mi-17

a_differences_02.jpg

Ken

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A new Czech upgraded Mi-171 SOF . Seven helicopters were modernized now.

(Mi-171S modernized by company LOM Prague)

- two side Miniguns

- new nose radar

- new sensors under nose

- updated avionics/cockpit

Video from Czech TV: http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ct24/domaci/308621-ceske-vrtulniky-dostaly-nove-rotacni-kulomety-pancerovani-i-avioniku/

645727.jpg

• 5 months later...

Here's a couple of photos I took of Mi-17s belonging to the Afghan Special Mission Wing. The photos were taken January and February 2014 at Camp Commando.

SAM_0622_zpsmod3bpbj.jpg

SAM_0669_zpscd14ziks.jpg

SAM_0654_zpszb6rjrht.jpg

SAM_0617_zps1rgewkeh.jpg

SAM_0718_zpse9lmg1kv.jpg

The link to my full album is:

http://s292.photobucket.com/user/adrake83/library/?sort=3&page=1

It's interesting that the helos above don't have the exhaust diffusers (or for that matter, any defensive systems such as flare dispensers, missile approach warning sensors, etc). Thought that was pretty much a standard fit in Afghanistan.