Mi-8T vs. Mi-8MT/Mi-17 differences

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Team, 

I think I know the answer, but I'd like to ask anyway.

I want to build a 1/72 Mi-8 with rocket pods in the colours of the Vietnam People's Air Force. I'm by no means an expert, nor will I have any doors open. Should I get the Hobby Boss or Zvezda kit, and why?

Thanks in advance.

I agree with Ken but that said it depends on what your looking for and how much you want to spend.

The HB kit does not have the rockets and wings, so you need the Zvezda kit or aftermarket (Dreammodel, Heli Resin, etc). Then you have to know the exhaust type which IIRC HB is late and VAF is probably early (I don't know but is how Murphy's law works for me) so a resin set from Pavla or Heli Resin. Fuel tanks, nose and dampers become the next questions.

So the Zevzda OOB might met your modeling needs, even with the warts Ken talked about. 

Edited by Tank

Thanks gents, that's the kind of simple summation I was hoping for!

Depending on cost I may forget about the rocket pods...if I can get the HB kit for a price close to the Zvezda that's the decision made.

Thanks for your links Ken, I was *this* close to PM'ing and asking if you had anything online about Hips outside this thread.

As Tank says, a VAF Mi-8 is probably an early Mi-8T, whereas the HB kits are late Mi-8MT's (despite one of them being labelled as a 'Mi-8T')

Here are the differences.......

Mi-8T (Early Hip)....

a-differences_01.jpg

Mi-8MT/Mi-17 (late Hip)....

a-differences_02.jpg

So you cannot make an early VAF Mi-8T from the HB kit - without some mods.

I did my Mi-8T using a Pavla resin set.......

Mi-8%20021.jpg

Have fun...

Ken

PS - More of my Hipiness.....

http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/modl_mi-8.html

http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/modl_mi-14.html

http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/modl_mi-17-18.html

http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/modl_mi-18.html

• 1 year later...
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2009 at 4:04 AM, Flankerman said:

It looks like a bog-standard Mi-8MTV-1 - with the radome for the weather radar removed.

day03_007.jpg

It has the fatter fuel tanks - and the clamshell doors are removed.

It also looks like the lower cockpit windows have been 'blacked out' ???

Keep 'em coming......

Ken

This looks like the Hip modified to run on Compressed Natural Gas.

The turret looks like most graft on IR/FLIR turrets I've seen.  Another interesting lump is the one forward of the roof hatch.

- Bryan

8 hours ago, BWDenver said:

This looks like the Hip modified to run on Compressed Natural Gas.

There was an LPG-powered Mi-8 - I photographed it at Lukovitsy many years ago.

This one has extra fuel tanks, not gas powered.

It serves with the Russian Customs Service.........

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/6554908

Ken

Attached is a shot taken in the mid 90's at a Moscow air show.  I didn't take the shot, and won't discuss who did.

The bird is an Mi-8MTB-5/Mi-17M.  Interesting study in upgraded armor and the adoption of the ramp sililar to the Chinooks I few. 

Mi-8MTB-5_Mi-17M_4a.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:48 AM, Flankerman said:

HB left - KP/Itaeri/Zvezda right

Mi-8%20100.jpg

Available Mi-8 kits....... http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/modl_mi-8_kits.html

My Mi-8 builds..... http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/modl_mi-8.html

Happy Hipping.

Ken

MI_17_NoseSM.jpg.50401d48251577be6e83b1f597313968.jpg    

The real thing...

Not sure if the Mi wipers have a "park" position.  Most birds I've flow do.

Looks like HB came close to getting the windows right.  Note the center window extends about 3" farther down than the L & R chin bubbles.  It looks like the bird had two defog lines on the outboard side.

Edited by BWDenver
added info
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if the Mi wipers have a "park" position.  Most birds I've flow do.

Not the Mi-8/-17. You will find them in random positions. OK, not in the middle! :)  :)  :)

Either the wiper is on one side (outer) or the other (centre) and it does not have to be symmetrical on the two sides. 

There are several versions as well.

Best regards

Gabor

BWDenver...... note the winch in the two photos you posted - on the port side.

Russian helicopters are flown from the left hand (port) seat - like airliners - hence the winch position.

Western helos are flown from the RH  (Starboard) seat - with the winch on the stbd side.

An interesting difference...

Ken

Ken,

That's not entirely true.  The US 500D is flown from the LH seat, at least the civil version that I flew in the Rockies doing exploration work for oil companies.  The 206 BII & BIII was flown from the RH side.

The position of the pilot has more to do with what is known as "Translating Tendency" of the helicopter roto system.  With the TR under the tip path plane the helo tends to hang one side low.  Western Helos hang LH side low as that's where the thrust of the TR shifts them.

The European birds with blades that rotate in the opposite direction hover RH side low.  So the placement of the pilot likely has more to do with weight and balance than custom.

The 500D took a bit of getting use to as you rally hung lower than a Bell bird.

All total I have about 3500 Hrs in helos.  Most in UH-1's, OH-58's and CH-47"s.  And on the civil side 500D and 206 BII & BIII.  And a little AH-1G time.  Fun bird, especially in a dive...

And why do you board a fighter or an airliner form the LH side?  Has more to do with how Knights got on horses - with their swords....

Bryan

And why do you board a fighter or an airliner form the LH side?

Except for the F-104 and SAAB JAS-39 Gripen - both of which are boarded from the RH (starboard) side........ :whistle:

Talking of Knights - that's why we (in the UK) drive on the left - so that we would face an oncoming horseman on our right (with our sword arm)....

That's also apparently why we shake hands - to show that we are unarmed.

Meanwhile.....

Ken

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all) I live in Ukraine, Dnipro))

sorry for my offtopic)

I want to add. This helicopter is also used for parachuting in the military. For this, the entire rear of the helicopter is missing. A thin chain hangs instead of the rear doors.This is Mi-8MT (for Mi-8T rear propeller right on the tail)

0264dd3951e8461229c6bf3f9314b8e0.i900x60

Mi-8T vs Mi-8MT. Some photos from this site have been lost. But the text is there. https://www.avsim.su/forum/topic/71628-ми-8т-и-ми-8мт-отличия/

Maybe you would like to watch extreme video Mi-8MT Ukraine Air Force))))

It is over the Kharkiv-Dnipro road))) 
Very impressive!))))

Edited by KMS
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, serendip said:

Cool - Unfortunately only acceptable in totalitarian states.

No kidding, the local Guard member flew over his folks house and people lost their minds. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/14/2012 at 9:43 AM, 11bee said:

I posted this on an unrelated thread but it's a good example of yet another "special" Hip.

Another shot:

Aside from the red star, the interesting thing about this Hip are the US-designed exhaust suppressors. I believe that this picture was taken in the US but I've come across a few shots of Hips with these suppressors operating in Iraq as well. Not sure what the purpose is of that shroud aft of the main rotor.

This aircraft, N214XX, a Mi-17V-5 is owned by Red Star Helicopters in Las Vegas, NV.  I saw it (minus the red star & with the aft part of the engine exhaust very sooty) this afternoon at the St. Landry Parish Airport (KOPL) in Opelousas, LA getting fuel.  I will post pictures later as I have to transfer pictures from my phone to my lap top.  Back in the 90's, Ft. Polk, LA had 2 Hips & a Hind for threat training at the base.  When this aircraft took off it appeared to be heading to Ft. Polk.

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA

• 7 months later...
On 11/10/2020 at 1:14 AM, Bo105flyer said:

This aircraft, N214XX, a Mi-17V-5 is owned by Red Star Helicopters in Las Vegas, NV.  I saw it (minus the red star & with the aft part of the engine exhaust very sooty) this afternoon at the St. Landry Parish Airport (KOPL) in Opelousas, LA getting fuel.  I will post pictures later as I have to transfer pictures from my phone to my lap top.  Back in the 90's, Ft. Polk, LA had 2 Hips & a Hind for threat training at the base.  When this aircraft took off it appeared to be heading to Ft. Polk.

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA

On 11/10/2020 at 1:14 AM, Bo105flyer said:

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA

It took awhile but I figured out how to post these photos of the Mi-17V-5 N214XX that I saw at Opelousas St. Landry Parish (KOPL) airport back in November.

Note that the nose is not blunt like the Mi-8 or Mi-17 stock nose is. I don't know if this is a mod done by the owner he in the states or was an actual addition to a later version of the aircraft.

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA 

IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4431 (1).PNG