Mi-8T vs. Mi-8MT/Mi-17 differences

P.S. Any decent 1/48th kits of a Mi-17 around?

There isn't even a crappy 1/48 Mi-17 kit around. There have been two attempts at Hips in resin in 1/48, but I've never seen either one, and I don't think either is still available. The Hip family cries OUT for 1/48 treatment from Trumpeter/Hobby Boss. Considering they have all the CAD files needed, and have done kits (and very nice ones) in 1/72 and 1/35, it's a crying shame they haven't done it in 1/48. The mind boggles!

J

• 1 month later...

Nice photos Neil....

I have 'collected' all the photos of those machines - ready to make one using the Hobby Boss kit.

Has anyone answered Dave Fleming's question yet - are the tanks bigger in diameter ???

I suspect that they are - but only slightly - not enough to worry too much about in 1:72 scale.

All I have done on mine is to separate the starboard tank from the cabin heater, add plastic card to the inner face of the tank, fit the two parts back together and blend in the 'step' between them.

It makes the tank wider in plan - but not top and bottom.

The port tank is not modified.

Ken

Hi Ken,

according to my measures, the UK Hip´s starboard fuel tank is of the bigger volume, which is able to take 985 litres (it has a step between the actual tank and KO-50 heater body).

HB model includes parts which should replicate big fuel tanks with four attachment strips - 1140 litres port and 1030 litres starboard. The smallest fuel tanks (most of the oldiest Mi-8 and Mi-17) are of 745 (left) and 680 (right) litres with three attachment strips, which is replicated by KP and Zvezda molds.

The UK Mi-17 fuel tanks have four strips and it could be modelled by cutting off KO-50 and make its cover of smaller diameter...

But as I know your amazing knowledge about Hip, you know...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anybody shed some light on this Mi-17 that I photographed in Kabul, Afghanistan back in 2006. There's no visible serial and no markings at all on it which makes me think it might be used by 'special' people. What do the Mi-8/17 experts think?

sfhip.jpg

Vairy eeeeeenteresteeeng.........

There are now so many 'mix-and-match' layouts on the Mi-8/17 that it is difficult to keep track.

This one clearly has a glazed nose with a ramp.

It also looks like it has TWO external cabin heaters - the one on the port side is unusual - you can just make out the (more normal) one on the starboard side.

I would assume it to be Ulan-Ude built - with a single-width port sliding door plus a double-width starboard sliding door (note the fixed step ahead of the nosewheel leg)

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
Vairy eeeeeenteresteeeng.........

There are now so many 'mix-and-match' layouts on the Mi-8/17 that it is difficult to keep track.

This one clearly has a glazed nose with a ramp.

It also looks like it has TWO external cabin heaters - the one on the port side is unusual - you can just make out the (more normal) one on the starboard side.

I would assume it to be Ulan-Ude built - with a single-width port sliding door plus a double-width starboard sliding door (note the fixed step ahead of the nosewheel leg)

Ken

That's good info Ken. Here's another one then for you to look at.

img9828.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
That's good info Ken. Here's another one then for you to look at.

img9828.jpg

Very interesting. I wonder what that housing is under the nose? Doesn't look like a FLIR turret. Lots of interesting Hips in Afghanistan, I would guess that some are indeed operated by "special" people.

Regards,

John

Very interesting. I wonder what that housing is under the nose? Doesn't look like a FLIR turret. Lots of interesting Hips in Afghanistan, I would guess that some are indeed operated by "special" people.

Regards,

John

It looks like a bog-standard Mi-8MTV-1 - with the radome for the weather radar removed.

day03_007.jpg

It has the fatter fuel tanks - and the clamshell doors are removed.

It also looks like the lower cockpit windows have been 'blacked out' ???

Keep 'em coming......

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
very interesting subject are the two Mi-17 in England

ZB697 Mil Mi-17 Mk.1V (manufacturer’s serial number 103M02) - Ex Bulgarian Air Force Board 402

ZB698 Mil Mi-17 Mk.1V (manufacturer’s serial number 103M03) - Ex Bulgarian Air Force Board 403

i see some very interesting features on them that never were there was in Bulgaria

List of some of them

1. armored plates

2. antenna or something else in front of the cargo doors

3. larger fuel tank behind the refrigerator ( it is not just an air cooling intake a common mistake )

They seem to have been fitted with some standard UK Military equipment - the boxes on the plates and on the rear fuselage can be seen on other UK mil helos and AAC aircraft. I was told it was RWR type warning equipment

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

hello guys, I've been watching this forum for a while now, but only now I've decided to post something:

I'd like to add another Mi-17 to the long list above:

serial number 110, ex Romanian Air Force, it is used by the Romanian Ministry of Interior (along with 3 Mi-8s (716, 730, 736), 2 other Mi-17 (107, 108), 2 IAR-316 Alouettes (49, 106) and 3 EC-135s (290, 334, 340))

L/H tail rotor, WX radar, 4 straps fuel tanks, no clam shell doors, air filters removed (it had them until last overhaul), frequency moderator above main rotor and of course, the most obvious modification, two MiG-21 extra fuel tanks!

enjoy!

1255787082.jpg

it's next on my list - I'll use the HobbyBoss kit, when I'll find one :D

Hot link not working, but the direct one is:

http://i.planepictures.net/88/37/1255787082.jpg

Interesting, big 4 strap tanks but no step in the intake/cooler unit, just like the kit!

Nice find Dave,

Although .... I'm not convinced that there isn't a step there - just not obvious due to the white paint and angle of the shot.

Does this mean that you have answered your own question - and I don't have to go up into my cold attic to dig out the Hobby Boss kits ??? :rolleyes::coolio:

Cheers :yahoo:

Ken

I don't know what happened with the last pic/link

here is another one, from the other side, but before last overhaul

img4318jn3.jpg

LE: BTW: what step are you talking about? The size difference between the heater and the fat fuel tank?

it doesn't have it (that difference is very obvious on the other two Mi-17 used by the police)

0615293.jpg

here is 107:

mi171vreg1072.jpg

here is 736 - this is a Mi-8S with the same slim 4 strap fuel tank

helimi811go8.jpg

Edited by Eurofighter2

Those unmarked ones are almost certainly US Army Special Ops birds, if not CIA. It kind of creeps me out that the CIA now has its own air force, including drones.

J

This is not really anything new. The CIA has operated a wide array of aircraft either directly or through its various fronts since its creation.

I also heard that they are the actual owners of the Starbucks Coffee corp and are thinking hard about purchasing all of the ex-Cutting Edge masters and getting into the scale model business :monkeydance:

There are many "black" aviation units out there, going back to the end of WW2. The army had Seaspray and it's various spin-offs, the CIA has operated everything from helos (including armed Littlebirds) to Gulfstreams to C-130's. Someday, maybe we'll get a book on all this, I think it would make a most interesting story.

John

Dr. Joe Leeker at the University of Texas at Dallas is already starting to make some serious headway on Air America. For those of you who don't know, the guides to the aircraft used can be found here. He's also started writing narrative history to go along with it.

I

LE: BTW: what step are you talking about? The size difference between the heater and the fat fuel tank?

it doesn't have it (that difference is very obvious on the other two Mi-17 used by the police)

0615293.jpg

here is 736 - this is a Mi-8S with the same slim 4 strap fuel tank

helimi811go8.jpg

Yes, the Qinetiq ones have one with the step at the end of the heater/cooler (linking to Rick's superb photos referenced above - his website is well worth a look)

IMG_1831.jpg

The question is - is the tank fatter or the fairing behind the heater more streamlined on those with 'no step'. My suspicion is that Hobbyboss have moulded the fat tank with a faired heater. I'll take some photos of the tank to show what I mean (and to save Ken's weary bones!)