Mi-8T vs. Mi-8MT/Mi-17 differences

so question. i know that an Mi-8MTV-1 is the same as an Mi-17V-1. hypothetically, if you had a russian registered bird in that config and a, say, afghan civil registered bird in that same config, would the russian be the Mi-8MTV-1 and the afghan the Mi-17V-1 or would they technically both be the same? I guess the real question is, since the Mi-17V-1 is the russian's designation for the export version of the Mi-8MTV-1 that is the same thing, if it is registered in a country other than Russia is it the Mi-17V-1 exclusively? and if it is registered in Russia is is an Mi-8MTV-1 exclusively? that may be a confusing question, im sorry.

are the Mi-8MTV-1s from Ulan Ude and Kazan the same or are there any differences in those models?

and, ok now im really getting confused (i know i know, i opened this can of worms on myself!). according to text sources, it looks like the Mi-171 is supposedly the same as the Mi-8AMT. However, all the pics of Mi-171s i see have the beaky nose, whereas the shots i have of Mi-8AMTs around here have the normal noses. am i in correct in thinking that the Mi-8AMT and Mi-171 are the same thing?

lastly, the Czech AF operates some Mi-171Sh's here. what does the Sh on the end signify? nevermind, found that answer.

Edited by AmericanSoldier15U

according to text sources, it looks like the Mi-171 is supposedly the same as the Mi-8AMT. However, all the pics of Mi-171s i see have the beaky nose, whereas the shots i have of Mi-8AMTs around here have the normal noses. am i in correct in thinking that the Mi-8AMT and Mi-171 are the same thing?

As you say, it gets really confusing.... :bandhead2:

I found this on the Mi-8AMT - apparently it's the same as the Mi-171.

Remember Mi-17XXX is the Kazan export designation (or was !!) - Mi-171 is the Ulan-Ude designation.

Why Afghan-registered Hips would be designated as Mi-8anything is a mystery - they should be Mi-17anything as they are clearly 'exports' - but that's Hip designations for you.

I'll try and answer your other interesting questions late.... :thumbsup:

Ken

As you say, it gets really confusing.... :bandhead2:

I found this on the Mi-8AMT - apparently it's the same as the Mi-171.

Remember Mi-17XXX is the Kazan export designation (or was !!) - Mi-171 is the Ulan-Ude designation.

Why Afghan-registered Hips would be designated as Mi-8anything is a mystery - they should be Mi-17anything as they are clearly 'exports' - but that's Hip designations for you.

I'll try and answer your other interesting questions late.... :thumbsup:

Ken

Ken,

Yeah this is getting confusing haha. Well they may very well be Mi-17XXX but on the sides of the cockpits they say Mi-8XXX. I will assume that the Afghan registered ones that are labeled Mi-8XXX were former soviet birds, most likely civvy.

So the Mi-8AMT and Mi-171 are the same. Where I am getting confused with that is how all the Mi-8AMTs i have seen have a standard nose whereas all the photos labeled Mi-171 have the larger beaky nose.

Sounds good on answering the others later. I appreciate all the help!

Justin

BTW, the Mi-171Sh/Mi-8AMTSh is the 'Attack' version of the AMT - 'Sh' simply means 'Shturmovik'.

Oh! - I see you have already answered that.....

I think its best to think of the Mi-8xxx/Mi-17xx as just the basic airframe.

The customer can then specify clamshell or ramp, glass nose or solid - or any combination.

I don't think the designation changes - or at least it doen't appear to :woot.gif:

Of course there will now appear a photo showing that I'm wrong !!

My brain now hurts....

Ken

Ever heard of the Mi-8MTB-1?

I'm lucky enough to share the apron with a couple of them here in Nepal. These nice chaps from Ukraine tell me they've got some more powerful engines, and after that I was told some more but my memory got a bit fuzzy, generally to do with high alt ops... :beer4: BUT I do remember being told this particular chopper is one of only two in the world which can have an extra cockpit installed in the rear cabin and also flown from there for sling loading! :)

I will see if he's got any pics of it installed.

unwfp.jpg

While I got you here, I'm doing a 72nd scale on this chopper but can't find any UN WFP decals. Anyone ever seen any about???

Cheers,

Jim

These nice chaps from Ukraine tell me they've got some more powerful engines, and after that I was told some more but my memory got a bit fuzzy, generally to do with high alt ops... :beer4: BUT I do remember being told this particular chopper is one of only two in the world which can have an extra cockpit installed in the rear cabin and also flown from there for sling loading! :)

Cheers,

Jim

That'll be the Mi-8MTV-K flying crane.

According to Yefim Gordon's Red Star book on the Mi-8/17....

"A single Mi-8MTV-1 (CCCP-25444, c/n 95583) belonging to the Ukrainian Civil Aviation Directorate etc etc ... was converted into the one-off M-8MTV-K...... The conversion involved removal of the rear clamshell doors which were replaced by an extensively glazed cabin with a full set of flying controls connected to the standard control system by push-pull rods.

Flying the helicopter from this cabin, the pilot had an unrestricted view of the underslung load and the location where it was to be deposited...... It wa displayed at MosAeroShow-92."

There's also a version of the Mi-26 Halo with a similar system (a cabin in place of the rear ramp) - the Mi-26TM (presumably that's what he means by 'one of only two in the world'.

There are other variants of the Mi-26 with side-mounted control cabins for 'crane' work.

Ken

:D, On page 3 (no not that kind of page three, for our UK readers) there are some pics of what I take are Romanian Police Mi-17s with what appear to be surplus MiG-21 external tanks. Am I right on this Ken? I'd be interested to know about this.

:cheers:,

Ross.

:D, On page 3 (no not that kind of page three, for our UK readers) there are some pics of what I take are Romanian Police Mi-17s with what appear to be surplus MiG-21 external tanks. Am I right on this Ken? I'd be interested to know about this.

:cheers:,

Ross.

They are indeed surplus MiG-21 tanks. They were installed when these helicopters were overhauled/upgraded in Tokol, Hungary during the late nineties.

• 1 month later...

Hi ross blackford,

Yes, they are the standard 490 l MiG-21 drop tanks. Just as many other "custom" conversions, this was also carried out by Danubian Aircraft Co. at Tököl to the South of Budapest. The helicopter was an interesting site. If I remember right I have published some of my photos of it in Airforces Monthly.

At MAKS 2009 there was a Russian example with even bigger fuel tanks on a similar support structure high up on the sides of the fuselage. The Mi-8/17 can even be a flying fule tank with 4 internal big yellow fuel tanks!

Best regards

Gabor

Hi AmericanSoldier15U,

Sorry for intruding into your little confussing ID search. I have just joined in this heli discussion and looked through a few previous pages.

It is not easy to identify the Hip family but there are some basic things and after that there is complete chaos.

There are only two versions of the Mi-8. The original with the TV-2-177 engines, a V-8 reductor housing and the tail rotor on the right side. The other version is the Mi-8MT, a completely redesigned aiframe around the new and more powerful TV-3-177 engines, the VR-14 reductor and the tail rotor on the left side. Now after this you can have any variations that you can imagine. Some late Mi-8's have almost all the upgrades typical of the Mi-8MT's (fuel tanks, extra protection, new rotor head, electronics . . .).

The basic Russian principal of naming was Mi-8MT for Russian use and Mi-17 for the export irrespective of the upgrades on it. The chaos started with the introduction of the two different manufacturers airframes.

Some of our Mi-17's were upgraded with a new radar and electronics but the name Mi-17 stays the same!

My personal opinion is that there is no point in searching for the name 171, 175, AMTSh or what ever. One should build the kit based on one particular example and get as much info on it! There are so many small and large modifications, up-grades, modernizations on any one airframe that it is not possible to get precise deffinition for the 171, or the AMTS or any other. Almost each airframe is different. The Mi-8 is a very versetile a/c it can take a lot of changes and punnishemt too!

Best regards

Gabor

I've been banging on before about the detail differences between the Ulan-Ude built Mi-8AMT/Mi-171 and the Kazan built Mi-8MTV5/Mi-17V5 - so at this years MAKS airshow I had the chance to take a couple of photos showing the nose differences perfectly.....

This is the Ulan-Ude built Mi-8AMT.... note the sharper 'beaky' nose and the size of the lower side window.....

day1_031.JPG

This type/shape is entering RusAF service as the Mi-8AMTSh.

This is the Kazan-built Mi-17V5... note the more rounded 'dolphin' nose and different shaped lower window....

day1_032.JPG

This type/shape is entering RusAF service as the Mi-8MTV-5

There are loads more differences in the two types from rival factories - the shape of the rear ramp, the shape of the cabin heat exchanger, the different door arrangements etc.

Happy Hipping.....

Ken

• 1 month later...

I posted this on the research corner Hip thread but it seemed too cool not to share in this thread as well. Any info on this helo would be appreciated.

Here is my vote for the most unique Hip:

An upgraded Mi-171, with US-made exhaust diffusers previously only seen on CIA-flow Mi-17's in Iraq, a US civil registration and a red star! Any thoughts? Original pictures from the very nice blog at:

http://elhangardetj.blogspot.com/

BTW, the blog is filled with great pictures of some very rare subjects. Well worth grabbing a cup of coffee and spending some time checking it out (with the help of Google Translate).

REDAIRHELICOPTERSLLCsn084M02_Mi-17-V5_N214XX_02.jpg

REDAIRHELICOPTERSLLCsn084M02_Mi-17-V5_N214XX_01.jpg

Edit, while further into the same blog, I found this 2010 picture of another US registered Hip, photographed at an Antonov facility in the Ukraine:

MI-17V5N7040JCN004M161GOSTOMELUCRANIAOKBANTONOV30-09-2010.jpg

US civil registration N7040J

Edited by 11bee
  • 1 month later...

Another country which joins this club. Argentina AF received their first two antartic MI 171E's (H-94 and H-95).

Seems to be equiped with FLIR, radar, floats, rear cargo doors and these extrange devices below the roundels.

DSC00005.jpg

Pictures: Hernán Casciani from Toda la Aviación blogspot:

http://todalaaviacio...erza-aerea.html

Bye for now...

Hi gents

I just joind the club :rolleyes:

My name is Nacho from Spain. I used to build tank kits but now I am going to build Trumpeter 1/35 Mi-8.

From the info in this wonderful forum and other webs I see the Turmpeter kit is really a Mi-8MT...right? at least it has air intake filters and APU...

I would like to display the motor, the APU and all the inside stuff unther the rotor. I have seen some wonderful walkaround from this forum (http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=179135&st=0&p=1671331&hl=mi-8&fromsearch=1entry1671331)

but I wonder if you have some more photos of motor detail, APU detail and in general any photo to build the kit with all the top hatches opened.

thanks a lot in advance

BR

Nacho

How about a Canadian "Hip" in full markings? On the CanMilAir site, he has a decal sheet that covers all 4 of the leased Mil Mi-17-V5's (CH-178) that we used in Afganistan. Now, all we need is a kit of a -V5.

link

Scott

I just got back to working on mine. Look for the update to the build-thread when I have time to get new batteries for my camera!

It is interesting to see that there is an ever growing number of Mi-8/Mi-17 family helicopter users world wide while the Hungarian Air Force is planning to get rid of the few that still airworthy. As a replacement helicopter for the Mi-8/Mi-17 and the Mi-24 Hind fleet we plan to introduce some 30 ex US Vietnam era Hues as front line helicopters!!! :D :lol: :) :D This is simply stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is serious! 1st of April is a bit in the future but our Ministry of Defence is dead serious about it!!!!!!

Best regards

Gabor

• 2 weeks later...

You could always convert the Hobby Boss kit..... :whistle:

Ken

WOW!!! :worship:

That is an AWESOME job, converting the HobbyBoss kit!! Since I want to do a Royal Thai Army Mi-17V5, I don't know if I want to attempt it, or wait for somebody to issue a new kit/conversion of it. Your in-progress shots are VERY informative. Maybe if I buy the HobbyBoss Mi-8MT/Mi-17 Hip H kit, and actually START on the conversion, somebody will then issue a kit of it?!? :whistle:

Larry

WOW!!! :worship:

That is an AWESOME job, converting the HobbyBoss kit!! Since I want to do a Royal Thai Army Mi-17V5, I don't know if I want to attempt it, or wait for somebody to issue a new kit/conversion of it. Your in-progress shots are VERY informative. Maybe if I buy the HobbyBoss Mi-8MT/Mi-17 Hip H kit, and actually START on the conversion, somebody will then issue a kit of it?!? :whistle:

Larry

I am using Flanker's build as a guide to build the Iraqi Mi-171. Although there are some differences, his build presents the basic techniques need to build most versions of the Hip airframe. It is not a difficult conversion and will likely be the only way to get the ramp or dolphin nose for quite some time.

One detail that I noted but haven't researched yet, I believe that the horizontal stabilizers on the tail should have ribbed detail rather than engraved. This is based on general rotary wing knowledge rather than research though. If anyone can help with this, it would be appreciated.

Mac

Edited by Screaminhelo