Formula One Modeling

So a bunch of years ago I picked up two Tamiya 1/20th scale Formula One cars on sale at a local shop. I'm not sure why, and they went into the stash without any plans to build them. Until now I've done almost no car building, unless you could military trucks. Anyway, I see that these kits have decals for the tires. How well do these work? Somehow I find it hard to believe that waterslide decals will adhere well with no lifting or silvering to rubber (or ersatz rubber), but I could be convinced if anyone has done this.

Edited by Fishwelding

I built this about 11 years ago. The "Good Years" were a dry transfer. Really had to take my time, and it took alot of time.

The yellow rings around the rim are a slide type decal. Those almost drove me from Coors Light straight to heroin.

Lotus1.jpg

Lotus2.jpg

Lotus3.jpg

Lotus4.jpg

Yaaaaaaayyy....uhhh!!!!!!!!!

F-1 official thread :salute:

I got a McLaren MP4 5B (Senna) and would love to build it sooner or later...

I would love to high detail it....here a question so....where do you buy the detail stuff for F-1 stuff?!?!you know, cables, tubes, rivets, screws and stuff?!?

I saw this VIDEO and felt in love with the Mclaren...and how he makes it...

then there was a superb article from the awesome guy Skii which superdetailed it....awesome job!!!

Anyway, I see that these kits have decals for the tires. How well do these work? Somehow I find it hard to believe that waterslide decals will adhere well with no lifting or silvering to rubber (or ersatz rubber), but I could be convinced if anyone has done this.

I use to use Polyscale clears for doing tire decals. This is going back a few years, so no clue how the stuff or other acrylics would work now.

Polishing the sidewalls to get them as smooth as possible, then using a light coat of clear on the tires sidewall for the decals worked for me.

Always did my tires last and already on the rims etc. I like to scuff up the tread some to give them a better look with the sidewalls having a matt/satin finish,unless the ArmorAll look is wanted for shinny sidewalls.

--------------------------

I am guessing Acrylic should be ok to use on tires, stay away from Petroleum based products.

I am sure that I have seen PE paint mask for the tyres before some where on the internet!

Tamiya does them moeggo....

there are PE masks on the Tamiya superb PE sets....those detailing up sets!

Cheers

:woot.gif:

Man you guys are spoiled. :rolleyes:

Those Good Year and Bridgestone transfers are easy as pie if you read the directions.

First off, rinse the tires off in warm water and let them dry thoroughly.

Next, cut out one of the trnasfers and trim as close as you dare to the lettering.

Place them printed side down being sure to follow the fattest part of the side wall.

now, here's the fun part, once I figured this out and mastered it, never had a problem again, dip your fingertip in warm water and lightly rub down the paper backing, once the water begins to saturate the paper, the lettering should transfer nicely. In the case of the Good Year tires, turn the tire around 180 degrees and apply the "Eagle" transfer in the same manner.

Let them dry completely, and flip them over on a clean surface and do the opposite sides of the tire if needed, the Good Year tires have logos on both sides of the tires.

Tamiya has only released a few kits with pre printed tires, I believe they are the Williams FW-24 kits, as the Michelin logo has white lettering over a blue background.

I always sealed my tires with clear acrylic gloss afterwards to seal in the transfers and to give the tires that nice shiny new rubber look. You can then lightly sand down the tread to simulated a scrubbed in tire.

Hope that helps.

Anyway, I see that these kits have decals for the tires. How well do these work?

Hi :nanner:

I have built the Tamiya Ferrari 189 and the McLaren MP4/4.

Both had the same "decals" for the tires. They are not really decals but more like a dry(WET!) transfer.

Meaning that you got the mirror image of them when you look at the decal.

To place them on the tire, you should cut carefully around the contour of the "Good Year".

Remove the protective film.

Then place the dry transfer on the desired location, and rub a little into the tire, there is glue that sticks to the tire surface. When in place put a little bit of water on the back of the decal (what's infron of you) and make sure the whole paper is wet. At the time keep rubbing in. I rubbed quit hard into the tire. then I carefully(!!!) pulled out the backing paper. Be carefull! if you hadn't rubbed enough you may lift the decal.

The result on my end where very good. I liked the result, Tamiya did a great job here.

Don't touch the decals, they are sticky. I laid one side, and in the next evening did the other side, just to make sure they are completly dry. The key here is paitence.

Anyway I hope this helps.

As Jack-Swiss very kindly referred to - this is the Tamiya 1/20 Mp4/5b I built last year for the Britmodeller motorsport group build, the bodyshell is removable and I used a lot of a/m parts including photo-etch rivets and resin knurled electrical connectors.

The tyre logos are photoetch stencils which you tape to the tyre wall and spray over - much better than decals and very realisitc as this is exactly how the logos were applied in real life :(

Tyre stencil

M1.jpg

M7.jpg

M6.jpg

M5.jpg

Edited by Skii

Always a treat to see your Mclaren again Skii.

And I have to say, Carbon Fiber decals are definitely worth getting, as they really add that little bit extra to the finished article.

Here is my Tamiya Williams FW24. The tyre dry transfer decals went on OK, but with Klear to seal the edges and protect them.

pic_23.jpg

pic_31.jpg

pic_32.jpg

cheers

Grant

Skii, I saw your build thread on that car, and it's simply amazing. Grant that Williams car looks awesome, too. You guys show what's possible with these kits. Thanks, everybody for the links to suppliers and tips on the dry transfers. Motorsport modeling looks very well served by some clever manufacturers. I dabbled with my '86 GP Honda last night, and am really impressed how they engineered that kit, even back then. These look like a lot of fun. I'm a little daunted by getting decals to conform to all the curves on the body panels, as well as a few other items, but I'll do some more reading on the web on this. Any thoughts or tips you guys have on these car kits are greatly appreciated.

Speaking of F1 modeling, anyone else see the new Fujimi 1/20 Ferrari 248F1 kit?

I can't wait for that kit, have all their 126C series which really look nice (in the box). Bet this will be a winner as well and hope to track one down next time I'm Japan bound. BTW, have you seen Hasegawa's new 20th scale F1 Ferrari? Really want to pick that one up also :D

Great to see F1 builds here!!! <_<

Ahui hou :yahoo:

Mark

Ahhhh here you are Skii.....That's fantastic to see your build again!!!

that is worth every minute of watching the thread!

And also you Grant...your williams is awesome too!!!!!

Mmmmhhh..I think I have to start the mclaren sooo,uh?!?

Cheers

:thumbsup:

After looking at Grant's and Ski's work I feel I should delete my pictures.

Hey dude,noooo!!!!

don't do it...that's mighty fine and great as well!it is a great build, seriously and I love it!

All green,shiny...c'mon!!!

Great job indeed!

Here are a few of my F1 builds, not as nice as Grants or Skis though.

Lotus 25

lotus25.jpg

Jordan 197

jordan_002.jpg

Honda RA272

hondaf1_001.jpg

As you can see, I'm into the older cars. :banana:

Fantastic build as well indydog!

that honda is gorgeous!top notch work!!!!!

Cheers

:thumbsup: