Spitfire XIX - Indian Air Force

I have been making steady progress on this one so it's time it was given a thread of it's own. Images of IAF PR Spitfires semm to be pretty rare.This is the plane I am trying to make:

SpitPR101_Small.jpg

It shows the spinner as PRU blue and has a white fuselage band which I was unaware of. I am using the MPM kit which has gone together quite well apart from the rear fuselage being warped. A long soak with me in a hot bath sorted that out and no I don't have any pictures! :D

The interior details were dissapointing and lacked essentials such as the Camera Control box.

So I scratch built one. Not too bad if I say so myself. :banana:

SS850596.jpg

Next I need to sand off the filler, touch up the paint work and fit the very nice vacformed canopy, EEEK! :omg:

SS850598.jpg

SS850602.jpg

Thanks for looking. :thumbsup:

I have been making steady progress on this one so it's time it was given a thread of it's own. Images of IAF PR Spitfires semm to be pretty rare.This is the plane I am trying to make:

SpitPR101_Small.jpg

It shows the spinner as PRU blue and has a white fuselage band which I was unaware of. I am using the MPM kit which has gone together quite well apart from the rear fuselage being warped. A long soak with me in a hot bath sorted that out and no I don't have any pictures! :D

The interior details were dissapointing and lacked essentials such as the Camera Control box.

So I scratch built one. Not too bad if I say so myself. :banana:

SS850596.jpg

Next I need to sand off the filler, touch up the paint work and fit the very nice vacformed canopy, EEEK! :omg:

SS850598.jpg

SS850602.jpg

Thanks for looking. :thumbsup:

Looking good so far mate, like ur camera.

regards rodney

Cheers Rodders. No pics tonight just a quick update before I go off to the pub.

The filler is sanded and painted. The wing-walk areas have been touched up and the fusalage band is on.

The main insentive for doing this kit was to have a crack at a vacformed canopy. I must say that I was dreading it but so far it's gone well. A little more trimming and it will be there. I am taking it carefully as I only have one. I am also having a go at home made decals too. I must be mad. :explode:

I will post some pics ASAP. :yahoo:

Thanks for the comments guys, always appreciated. Here are some progress pics:

She is sitting on her pins!

SS850616.jpg

I even made a seat harness as you may well be able to see the interior on this one. Vacform canopies do look nice but they are a double edged sword, you have to make an effort with the cockpit!

SS850623.jpg

The caopy is coming along well but was just not ready when I took these pictures. Apologies for the poor lighting, I am working in a cupboard! :D

SS850618.jpg

I have still had no confirmation as to the colour of the fuselage band, if it is not white then it is certainly very light perhaps sky but as post independance IAF fighters retained the wartime white theatre bands I will stick with white. The decals are made and ready to go on, I just need to find a serial number.

Later I will have fun making lenses with white glue and I am experimenting with making whip aerials from wood splinters. It's a kind of madness. :D

Progress on the Indian air force Spitfire PR XIX. Canopy is on, quite please with it as my first vacform. Just need to add the whip aerial and tail wheel doors. I have given her a wash just to highlight some of the details but will leave her pretty clean as the Recce birds seem well looked after.

test005.jpg

test006-1.jpg

test009-1.jpg

The decals are made and she is about ready for them, if only I could remember where I put them. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this one. Progress has slowed somewhat due to family commitments. I decided to re-do the decals as my homemade ones were quite dull in colour. I snaffled some from the Xtradecal Hunter sheet. The weathering is not as visible in real life, the camera flash has really emphasised it in the Photo. Just need to get the exhaust stubs on, tail wheel doors on & whip aerial fitted, touch up the wheels and she is done. I will post more pictures and info when she is finished.

Decson.jpg

:P

• 2 weeks later...
It looks nice and interesting. Do you have some other source (except the above photo) for Indian marking??

Unfortunately that was the only photo I could find. I know that India used quite a lot of Spitfires and I have the serial numbers and history etc. It seems that images of the PR Spits are hard to find.

Unfortunately that was the only photo I could find. I know that India used quite a lot of Spitfires and I have the serial numbers and history etc. It seems that images of the PR Spits are hard to find.

OK, maybe some photos will appear in the future...

• 1 month later...

Completed at last! It's been a while but I finally got there with this Spitfire PR XIX of the Indian Air Force. Please excuse the shaky pictures, the cat was attacking me whilst I took these. This also accounts for the Aeroclub prop falling off. :D

SS850829.jpg

Pictures of these birds proved to be rare so I had to make some assumptions based on written records. The roundals are 36" on the fuselage and upper wing surface. Essentially these are simply the RAF markings painted over.

SS850841.jpg

Note the lack of under wing roundals, again this reflects RAF practice at the time (in this region!). I also fitted a 45 Gal slipper tank as Indian is a big place and it made the Spitfire underside a little more interesting. :woo:

SS850838.jpg

The vac form canopy looks pretty good, glad I used it.

SS850830.jpg

The serial number is fictitious but it is of the correct height and colour, Black 8", two letters followed by three numbers. For info the Indian Mk XIX's had serials ranging from HS693 to HS705. Unfortunately I didn't have suitable decals. :doh:

SS850843.jpg

The kit instructions were vague about the size of the camera hatch window so I had to wing it a bit. Still not happy with it but we live and learn. At least my home made whip aerial can be seen.

SS850833.jpg

I decided to make it a little grimy as it was just too clean after sealing the decals with Klear

SS850834.jpg

The white theatre band would appear to be a hang over from it's RAF days and I am not sure how common this was.

SS850844.jpg

Over all an enjoyable experiance for my first multiMedia kit and I learned a lot. Here is the original image that started the whole project off:

SpitPR101_Small.jpg

Thanks for looking. :D