I'm in with Fat Albert. It's a rebuild, courtesy of United Van Lines. Italeri 1/72 (Originally Testor's boxing)

Edited by MHaz
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Geez... I need to update this. Yeah, I know it's barely a month 'til this is over, but with 3 kids around the house... (and a "Honey-do" list a mile long...)

Anyway...

I've got the cockpit (re)painted and the wing halves joined and sanded. I think for this build, since I'm building her all closed up and ready to fly, I'm not going to worry about the interior at all, other than the cockpit. (Can't see anything in there, anyway!) I'm going to try to make some JATO bottles to stick on the side.

'Cause there's a long weekend coming, I hope to have it primered by Monday. I'll post some pics then.

My real quandry is this: which "Bert" do I paint her as?

1. BuNo 150690, which was Fat Albert #1, painted in either white over natural metal or all white
  2. BuNo 149806, which was Fat Albert #2, painted in the famous blue/white scheme
  3. BuNo 149791, which was Fat Albert #3, "Christine," painted in white over light gull grey
  4. BuNo 148893, which was Fat Albert #4, "Ernie," painted in the grey-grey tactical scheme (Blue Angels written on fuselage side in black, with black badges)
  5. BuNo 163310, which was Fat Albert #5, "Ernie," (#2) painted in a slightly different grey-grey scheme (with Blue Angels' badges)
  6. BuNo 151891, which was Fat Albert #6, painted in the current blue/white scheme (retired to NAS Pensacola/Nat'l Museum of Naval Aviation)
  7. BuNo 164763, which is the current Fat Albert (#7), painted in the current blue/white scheme

I realize that the 2 "Ernies" are in the tactical scheme, but they still look neat... Here's the link to the page I'm using as a go-by for all the "'Berts": Fat Albert and Ernie Too, by Harry S. Gann

Can the mods give me some guidance as to which (if any) wouldn't be kosher for the GB?

Thanks

well pesonally im looking for 1 one these kits and im going for the current scheme white/black/yellow/blue i find it looks amazing and it came out in 1980 and after many changes it came back in 1991 and is still used today

But thats me

Feel free to paint another scheme if you have a preference!

Cheers

Neo

well pesonally im looking for 1 one these kits and im going for the current scheme white/black/yellow/blue i find it looks amazing and it came out in 1980 and after many changes it came back in 1991 and is still used today

Hey Neo,

Any one of the Italeri C-130 kits, save the gunships, can be built as Fat Albert. All you really need is decals (or a REALLY steady hand...)

:o

Hey Neo,

Any one of the Italeri C-130 kits, save the gunships, can be built as Fat Albert. All you really need is decals (or a REALLY steady hand...)

:D

Yeah the kit is not really the problem it finding the decals thats more complicated

Cheers

Yeah the kit is not really the problem it finding the decals thats more complicated

Cheers

Microscale makes some Fat Albert decals (sic) in 72nd scale. Last time I checked, they're in stock...

My real quandry is this: which "Bert" do I paint her as?

1. BuNo 150690, which was Fat Albert #1, painted in either white over natural metal or all white
  2. BuNo 149806, which was Fat Albert #2, painted in the famous blue/white scheme
  3. BuNo 149791, which was Fat Albert #3, "Christine," painted in white over light gull grey
  4. BuNo 148893, which was Fat Albert #4, "Ernie," painted in the grey-grey tactical scheme (Blue Angels written on fuselage side in black, with black badges)
  5. BuNo 163310, which was Fat Albert #5, "Ernie," (#2) painted in a slightly different grey-grey scheme (with Blue Angels' badges)
  6. BuNo 151891, which was Fat Albert #6, painted in the current blue/white scheme (retired to NAS Pensacola/Nat'l Museum of Naval Aviation)
  7. BuNo 164763, which is the current Fat Albert (#7), painted in the current blue/white scheme

Ok, I've made my decision, which couldn't possibly be influenced by the fact that I managed to screw up the lower cockpit windows :). I'm doing the original Fat Albert, #1 BuNo 150690, in its all white paint scheme. While you don't see many 'Berts built, the ones that you do are almost always 149806, 151891 or 164763, which are in the blue/white/yellow scheme. So, I'm gonna build a different 'Bert.

I'll build #2/6/7 using another Herc kit after the GB is over.

Ok, Pictures!

Here she is, about to be primed. I hope to paint this week sometime.

LPIC0007.jpg

LPIC0011.jpg

LPIC0013.jpg

I'm using EZ Masks' precut vinyl masks for this bird, and I can't say enough about how great they are!

LPIC0015.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Latest status, as of 10:00 PM tonight: still working. Much touchup required, few decals left to put on. The props and gear doors are painted and waiting to be glued. Gonna be a nail-biter to the finish!

DSCF0542.jpg

Looks good Michael, where did you end up sourcing the decals from. I have the Microscale sheet for the current version but have not seen that scheme on a kit larger than the Hasegawa 1/200 C-130 kit.

Hi Ray,

Believe it or not, they're from a Golden Wings decal set, GW#2, printed in 1983. They've been a bit of a PITA to deal with; in fact the starboard prop warning stripe is, um, worn off... yeah, that's it, worn off... (Actually, the thing shriveled up on my brush the moment I tried to put it on the model). I found these guys on eBay one day and grabbed 'em. They've got 150690 and 149806 (the first blue and white 'Bert). I may have another set laying around here, but I can't find them at the moment; otherwise, I'd scan them in (low-res, of course) to show you.

Mike

:wub: Wow, :woot.gif:

I like that scheme. Very nice job on the all white scheme, a hard one to pull off and get right with a good looking paint finish.

Julien :thumbsup:

Julien,

Thanks!

It was a glorious PITA to get that finish to come out correctly. The first coat of white orange peeled on me, so I had to sand it down and redo it. When I repainted it, I found, oh, 10-15 spots that desparately needed sanding and/or filling. The white made every little blemish stand out even worse than the primer did!

What you see here is those 2 coats, plus 2 more coats of Testor's Gloss White, straight from the spraycan. Next time, I'm doing flat white and a thick coat of Future instead!

Now that it's on the shelf, though, I'm happy with it. Looks good next to the DC-130A I finished a couple years ago.

Mike

That's such a snazzy looking model! Thanks for doing one of the less common schemes. I love the blue/white current paint, but the all white is very interesting. Much like the all white TA-4J Casper.

Rick L.

Nice job :)
Look's great. I really like that scheme.

Richard

That's such a snazzy looking model! Thanks for doing one of the less common schemes. I love the blue/white current paint, but the all white is very interesting. Much like the all white TA-4J Casper.

Rick L.

Thanks guys! If I had to do it over again, I think I'd pick this scheme again, just because it's not the 'Bert that "everyone" builds.

I did learn a few things with it, though:

• Make sure the paint can you're spraying from is still good. My first coat badly orange peeled because it was several years old and had been out in the garage/storage shed quite some time.
  • Precut canopy masks are your FRIEND on birds like this!
  • Gloss white paint, even from a fresh spray can is NOT your friend - I'll use flat paint and future it next time around.
  • There's a reason everyone recommends putting a coat of Microscale decal sealer on old decals before you use them...

I've got it sitting on my desk next to my DC-130A Hercules, and the two Navy Herc's make pretty much everyone walking by my desk stop and have a look.

• 9 months later...
Julien,

Thanks!

It was a glorious PITA to get that finish to come out correctly. The first coat of white orange peeled on me, so I had to sand it down and redo it. When I repainted it, I found, oh, 10-15 spots that desparately needed sanding and/or filling. The white made every little blemish stand out even worse than the primer did!

What you see here is those 2 coats, plus 2 more coats of Testor's Gloss White, straight from the spraycan. Next time, I'm doing flat white and a thick coat of Future instead!

Now that it's on the shelf, though, I'm happy with it. Looks good next to the DC-130A I finished a couple years ago.

Mike

Mike, I have CAD drawings I did of the JATO bottles if you would like them (free)

Jack